Assistance dogs

I am so excited I just had to share my news! I applied to Canine Partners to be considered for an assistance dog, because the list is approx 3/4 years so I thought best apply now, so I am on the list. Well, I got a letter this morning saying they have accepted me and I'm to go meet the trainers and dog in January!

Have any of you had/have an assistance dog?

Brilliant - I worked with a brilliant Disability Equality trainer who had an assistance dog through Canine Partners - brilliant organisation and brilliant dogs! Am sure having your own assistance dog will make a big difference to your life. I know it did to my colleague whose dog helped with everything from banking to shopping.

I've heard some fantastic reviews from people about Canine Partners, I'm trying so hard not to blurt it out to the kids yet, as we only recently lost one of ours and they are still quite raw about it x

Congratulations - let us know how it goes X

Well done and thanks for sharing. Xxx

I'm off to meet the trainers and organisers (and hopefully some doggies!) at the training centre on Monday. Excited doesnt come close! :D

---------- Post added 11-01-2016 at 15:49 ----------

Well im covered in drool and I stink like dog, but Im in love! I passed the assessment so now its a 6 week wait for an OT assessment. Then I am places on the waiting list, then when I get near the top, they assess the pet dogs. So, my task in the mean time is have Taco a d Toluca snipped, re start Taco and Incas vaccines and get them used to big dogs in and out the house. Anyone with a friendly dog that would like to help??

I would like to help. I have applied also. So it's okay to have a dog already? I have a greyhound. Maybe when the weather gets warmer l could meet you.

Yes Alfer, I have 3 dogs already (chihuahuas) and they were happy with that, so long as it was possible to separate them from the CP, to make sure individual training and contact could be given.

Congratulations on being accepted for a Canine Partner for Independance, Peaches.

My old dog, Kane, was a support dog, and he made such a difference to my life.

Thanks PT :) What were your experiences of being paired up?

I've been through the assessment, now I'm waiting for an OT visit

Thanks PT :) What were your experiences of being paired up?

I've been through the assessment, now I'm waiting for an OT visit

My dog was my own dog, which they initially assessed for his temperament, intelligence and behaviour etc, before being accepted for training.

He passed their assessment and was then trained over about a year to 18 months,to the assistance dog standards that all assistance dogs are trained to, such as hygiene in food shops and restaurants etc.

As he was my own dog we already had a rapport and a connection, which I'm sure you will quickly build with your assigned dog.

---------- Post added 18-01-2016 at 13:16 ----------

Kane passed away at the grand age of 15 , seven years ago, now, and I still miss him dreadfully.

It sounds like he was meant to be! My friend trained her dog through dog AID and has done fantastically!