Beighton Bypass A57 speed limit

I think you missed the non

I think you are quite correct !!!

Apparently the cost to Sheffield Council for lowering the speed limit from 60 mph to 50 mph on this stretch of road is £70000. I cant for the life of me work out why it would cost so much. Its for improved signing and lining apparently (Or perhaps it meant lying....)

This figure is lifted straight from the committee report is any is interested.

http://sheffielddemocracy.moderngov.co.uk/documents/s17846/Worst%20First%20Road%20Safety%20Schemes%20-%20A57%20Mosborough%20Parkway.pdf

After one force suggested fining people on the M1 at 71mph in their stretch, simply to raise funds and with no pretence at safety benefits, maybe SCC have decided to expand their revenue streams by lowering speeds unnecessarily, and then reaping the fines... Someone needs to pay for the next town hall white elephant project, whatever they dream up next!

You don't seem to be listening to yourself :suspect:

Don't worry yourself about it.

I assume the reduction to 50 MPH is a knee jerk reaction to a lot of people suggesting a reduction following the crash in August - which was a result of two people racing. The reduction wouldn't have stopped that then, and it doesn't seem to have stopped the crash that happened over this past weekend.

It's obviously just a stretch of road that seems to encourage people to drive faster than the limit and beyond their capability to judge the risk of their or others' safety.

As someone who uses it a lot, I never had a problem with people speeding, my problem was always those who seemed incapable of making good progress and would potter along at 40 MPH.

If we took your ridiculous assertion of "Safety first" to its extreme then cars would be limited to the pace of a man running in front with a red flag.

What a silly suggestion - why would you want to go to such extremes? Stick to the speed limit and you will avoid any brush with the law, it's sooooooo simple.

---------- Post added 09-11-2015 at 19:19 ----------

As someone who uses it a lot, I never had a problem with people speeding, my problem was always those who seemed incapable of making good progress and would potter along at 40 MPH.

Excellent point, the_bloke. You have confirmed that Cyclone's assertion that cars should be "limited to the pace of a man running in front with a red flag" is completely ridiculous.

I don't have any problem with the speed limit myself, it's not Sheffield's longest stretch of road and the 10mph less won't have any real impact on any journey I take through there.

I don't have any problem with the speed limit myself, it's not Sheffield's longest stretch of road and the 10mph less won't have any real impact on any journey I take through there.

Absolutely right, and clearly the general consensus. Silly thread - end of chat.

What a silly suggestion - why would you want to go to such extremes? Stick to the speed limit and you will avoid any brush with the law, it's sooooooo simple.

Can't you remember what you said?

It was about safety, not about the law.

You said "Safety first", as a justification for lowering the speed limit.

So, why not lower it more in the name of safety? Because it's "silly"?

---------- Post added 09-11-2015 at 22:02 ----------

Absolutely right, and clearly the general consensus. Silly thread - end of chat.

You declared that as the 2nd post. And yet we're on page 3, and you can't seem to stay away from this topic... :huh:

---------- Post added 09-11-2015 at 22:03 ----------

Is there any evidence that lowering the speed limit will make the road safer?

That's what I'd like to know.

Can't you remember what you said?

It was about safety, not about the law.

You said "Safety first", as a justification for lowering the speed limit.

So, why not lower it more in the name of safety? Because it's "silly"?

---------- Post added 09-11-2015 at 22:02 ----------

You declared that as the 2nd post. And yet we're on page 3, and you can't seem to stay away from this topic... :huh:

---------- Post added 09-11-2015 at 22:03 ----------

That's what I'd like to know.

Do you have any evidence that "using a bike will make the roads safer" - of course you don't.

End of chat.

You keep declaring the end, and you keep being wrong, are you after some kind of record?

I'll add one more to your count for you, of course I have evidence.

http://www.ctc.org.uk/sites/default/files/ctc_safety_in_numbers_0.pdf

There is good evidence to support the idea that cycling gets safer the more people do it.

Perhaps you should think before you post?

Oh, and I'll just repeat this, the chat hasn't ended if there's no answer...

Edited by Cyclone

You keep declaring the end, and you keep being wrong, are you after some kind of record?

I'll add one more to your count for you, of course I have evidence.

http://www.ctc.org.uk/sites/default/files/ctc_safety_in_numbers_0.pdf

Perhaps you should think before you post?

Oh, and I'll just repeat this, the chat hasn't ended if there's no answer...

You are getting tetchy. Stay cool, admit when you are wrong, and you may gain my respect. :)

End of chat.