Beighton Bypass A57 speed limit

I noticed last week that the speed limit on the Beighton bypass past Swallonest has been reduced to 50.

Was it an accident blackspot particularly? I'm not aware of many accidents there, although there has been one recently (since the speed limit change I suspect).

And to reply to the poster from the other thread who said

That part of the A57 was a NSL road, not a 60mph road.

The NSL on a non dual carriageway where the limit has been reduced is 60mph for a car.

I noticed last week that the speed limit on the Beighton bypass past Swallonest has been reduced to 50.

Was it an accident blackspot particularly? I'm not aware of many accidents there, although there has been one recently (since the speed limit change I suspect).

The NSL on a non dual carriageway where the limit has been reduced is 60mph for a car.

Stick to the speed limit, no matter how new or old - it's not rocket science.:roll:

Pointless thread, end of chat.

Dunno about "accident blackspot" but a Google search returns (amongst others):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-33836131

A FOI request of the Council (Sheffield/Rotherham) would also return some historical data. On the basis that it's cost them money to change the limit I guess there must be some history.

Stick to the speed limit, no matter how new or old - it's not rocket science.:roll:

Pointless thread, end of chat.

I think you've entirely missed the point of the thread.

I'll try to make it more clear.

Why has the speed limit been reduced? Is it warranted?

---------- Post added 08-11-2015 at 19:49 ----------

Dunno about "accident blackspot" but a Google search returns (amongst others):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-33836131

A FOI request of the Council (Sheffield/Rotherham) would also return some historical data. On the basis that it's cost them money to change the limit I guess there must be some history.

We know that's not true. Look at the A57 from Rivelin Valley in the Sheffield area. Speed limit reduced DESPITE the report the council commissioned telling them that there were no grounds for it and it was not necessary.

I think you've entirely missed the point of the thread.

I'll try to make it more clear.

Why has the speed limit been reduced? Is it warranted?

---------- Post added 08-11-2015 at 19:49 ----------

We know that's not true. Look at the A57 from Rivelin Valley in the Sheffield area. Speed limit reduced DESPITE the report the council commissioned telling them that there were no grounds for it and it was not necessary.

What is the point of this thread?

There seem to be quite a few (minor) accidents on the approaches to the Swallownest roundabout towards Sheffield. I'm not sure if many, or any, of these are speed related.

Is the stretch from the Drakehouse roundabout to Coisley Hill still 60/NSL? If so, it's ironic as that has to be the most dangerous part between the M1 and the Parkway.

What is the point of this thread?

None I guess, other than to bypass beighton (I can't allow myself to capitalise it ) as quickly as possible.

A suburb of chezvegas I understand.

Is the stretch from the Drakehouse roundabout to Coisley Hill still 60/NSL? If so, it's ironic as that has to be the most dangerous part between the M1 and the Parkway.

Nope, it is 50mph now.

Its all changed to 50 up there now, I noticed today a red sign has gone up too as notification.

Nope, it is 50mph now.

Result. Stick to it, people - you'll be just fine.

End of chat.

It seems like they used the installation of the new lampposts to reduce the speed limit as well. No advance notice, no consultation, no chance to make a case for leaving it as it was, it just happens because our council knows best.

It seems like they used the installation of the new lampposts to reduce the speed limit as well. No advance notice, no consultation, no chance to make a case for leaving it as it was, it just happens because our council knows best.

Yes, they do know best - safety first. Do you have a problem with that?