Is Fiber Optic Available In My Area ?

Hi Guys,

I am with Sky at the moment and my internet speed is really slow i been with the talk talk and maximum speed i could get evening times around 7Mb/Sec

Now with Sky and getting around 6Mb/Sec. I am in S5 and my exchange is Attercliffe.

After contacting BT, Plusnet etc all told me that my exchange is neither fiber nor Adsl2+ enabled, only virgin proved fiber and unfortunately not available to my house.

Few days ago i received a letter from Sky saying that they are going to rise the price and i am free to go to any other provider if i ring them within 30 days of receiving price rise letter to let them know that i am leaving.

Today i contacted EE home broadband and to my surprise they said they can provide fiber optic and speed up to 32Mb/Sec to my house.

Can anybody confirm this who is on the same exchange if its true . Thanks

Attercliffe exchange hasn't had fttc installed so i very much doubt that the person you spoke too at EE had any idea what he was on about, im afraid your're out of luck if you're after a speed increse, you could check your postcode on virgin medias website as i know they plan on doing a major network expansion uk wide

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, i already contacted Virgin but unfortunately not available to my house, I asked EE advisor numerous time but he insist that they can provide fiber optic to my house, i told them that all other providers unable to provide fiber optic how can EE provide, but the answer was same that we can provide the fiber optic.

If you are in s5, you can get 70mbs from virgin media.

Attercliffe exchange is in the process of being upgraded to fibre-optic and BT are in the process of installing the green coloured street cabinets in several places in Darnall & Attercliffe. I'm on the Attercliffe exchange and my street cabinet was installed 2 weeks ago but hasn't gone live yet - hopefully not long now!!

Keep putting your address details into these two sites for the latest info:

http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/

http://www.superfastsouthyorkshire.co.uk/sfsy/where

Could be a few months yet, if cabinet only just installed

Could be a few months yet, if cabinet only just installed

Keeping my fingers crossed that it's going to be sooner than that.

It's fibre and not fiber!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist. Wish people would use UK English.

It's fibre and not fiber!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist. Wish people would use UK English.

Why as both are correct. Fiber in fact is more widely used throughout the rest of the world so its spelling shouldn't matter on the internet. This forum also has many user from other countries as well.

Anyone connected to Attercliffe "gone live" yet with a new fibre install?

My cab is in the process now of being renewed, and I think it's one of the last, so hopefully won't be too long before everyone is up and running.