First Bus Driver admits why Busses are not showing up!

I was waiting at the Bus Stop for around 40 minutes, but the First bus never turned up. When a different service arrived which doesn't take me home, I asked the driver why the bus has not came. He said that some services are not running because they don't have 'enough drivers'!!!

First Bus clearly know about this, as they are choosing which services to cancel. However, they are not telling people and letting people wait forever at the Bus Stops. I know that this is not a one-off case, as a cancellation around the same time happened yesterday, which kept my sister waiting at the Stop (at both times it was the First Bus 24 that never showed up).

I don't understand how they can get away with this??!

This wouldn't surprise me at all. All private enterprises right now are buying into this ultra efficiency thing since the Tories got in in 2010. Its just an excuse to squeeze more out of less for ever more greedy shareholders. Its all pervasive and everyone's feeling it.

Who regulates this? SYPTE? Surely there are minimum service standards we should expect?

This kind of behaviour by First adds insult to injury after the "streamlining" of bus services.

Guest busdriver1

If it was true it would be bad. Unfortunately there is not a shred of truth in it.

If it was true it would be bad. Unfortunately there is not a shred of truth in it.

Odd that I had the same reason given to me several years ago by a First bus driver as to why my bus service kept putting themselves out of service in Firth Park and heading off towards town rather than Wincobank, leaving 20-30 passengers standing there freezing.

My service is notorious amongst its passengers for doing a Houdini on a regular basis. If it isn't true that drivers are being pulled to cover more profitable routes then why is it?

Its just an excuse to squeeze more out of less for ever more greedy shareholders

How do buses (which still have to be paid for and maintained) not running manage make any money for anyone?

Your knowledge of the business world is on a par with all the other chippie Trots on SF. I.e. zero.

Exactly. The OP fails to realise that they've been fobbed off with a stock excuse by a driver who has a schedule to keep to.

I thought the bus operators were subsidised to the tune of £3m-£4m a year in Sheffield.

Money comes from government :(

This wouldn't surprise me at all. All private enterprises right now are buying into this ultra efficiency thing since the Tories got in in 2010. Its just an excuse to squeeze more out of less for ever more greedy shareholders. Its all pervasive and everyone's feeling it.
Why are shareholders greedy?...............surely the whole economy would collapse if not for shareholders!

If they haven't got enough drivers then there isn't a lot they can do about it.

Having seen the multiple threads on here regarding bus drivers, I can only assume that the general public feel that bus drivers are an underclass who can do nothing right....hardly a good advert for those thinking of training.

Public transport should be just that.

Run by public not by private shareholders. Same on trains

Good old maggie!!!!!!

Why are shareholders greedy?...............surely the whole economy would collapse if not for shareholders!

It's because he has no shares and is jealous of the ones that do

The New Bus service as got Worse not Better for Sheffield,Buses are suppose to make easy to get round Sheffield but it is to complicated now,When the Public have got so used to the Previous Bus Times & Routes and then to All of sudden change them,All people will be doing is slowing the Drivers down asking them which way they are going,Hope they soon realise there big mistakes they have made and put them back to normal