First Bus Driver admits why Busses are not showing up!

Guest busdriver1
We shop at waitrose and we also shop at aldi. Cannot see where a bad gps tracking system has any relationship with a supermarket.

Quite simple example to compare the system in use with what could be used. But you know that and are being pedantic.

Quite simple example to compare the system in use with what could be used. But you know that and are being pedantic.

Lets just say Sheffield has a poor quality GPS system and other cities get better more expensive ones.

Personally my experience, specially in the UK, is that paying more for something does not always mean you get something better but is often done to elevate you on the UK social status class ladder.

In a place like Germany price/quality are much more realistic connected where certain people in UK can sometimes pay ridiculous fantasy prices for total meaningless crap.

Edited by dutch

There has been some terrible traffic congestion in various parts of Sheffield this week that hasn't helped of course - on Friday journeys through Woodseats were extended by about 20 minutes for example, another example are the 'Grey to Green' works taking place around West Bar and all the buses that come into town via Shalesmoor are being diverted around the inner ring road and Millsands, I've heard reports of buses being stuck in traffic jams around there for nearly an hour!

I wonder if all this extra traffic is due in no small part because people are ditching public transport and using cars ?

---------- Post added 08-11-2015 at 15:03 ----------

Ps so what % of peak time buses have run on time ? (On time being within 5 mins of printed time) .?

I was waiting at the Bus Stop for around 40 minutes, but the First bus never turned up. When a different service arrived which doesn't take me home, I asked the driver why the bus has not came. He said that some services are not running because they don't have 'enough drivers'!!!

First Bus clearly know about this, as they are choosing which services to cancel. However, they are not telling people and letting people wait forever at the Bus Stops. I know that this is not a one-off case, as a cancellation around the same time happened yesterday, which kept my sister waiting at the Stop (at both times it was the First Bus 24 that never showed up).

I don't understand how they can get away with this??!

-----------------

I hope they dont put in for a pay rise this year, :suspect: :suspect:

I'am having same problems like most on the 24 first bus service. :gag:

-----------------

It would'nt surprize me if they do,cheeky,I only get 6.50 hour and have to put up with that,my boss tight!

Odd that I had the same reason given to me several years ago by a First bus driver as to why my bus service kept putting themselves out of service in Firth Park and heading off towards town rather than Wincobank, leaving 20-30 passengers standing there freezing.

My service is notorious amongst its passengers for doing a Houdini on a regular basis. If it isn't true that drivers are being pulled to cover more profitable routes then why is it?

That wouldnt happen to be the 35/36 would it. They are notorious for missing buses. I had to leave the house for work or uni on the bus before I needed just incase it didn't turn up. They come ever half hour which made me incredibly early for either.

Edited by jensen1378

-----------------

Dont say that they may end up striking again. We havent had one of those for a while.

I was waiting at the Bus Stop for around 40 minutes, but the First bus never turned up. When a different service arrived which doesn't take me home, I asked the driver why the bus has not came. He said that some services are not running because they don't have 'enough drivers'!!!

First Bus clearly know about this, as they are choosing which services to cancel. However, they are not telling people and letting people wait forever at the Bus Stops. I know that this is not a one-off case, as a cancellation around the same time happened yesterday, which kept my sister waiting at the Stop (at both times it was the First Bus 24 that never showed up).

I don't understand how they can get away with this??!

Just been thinking and it may not be the way this comment has been taken in that First have loads of unfilled driver vacancies - what they actually meant was probably that buses were running late for various reasons and with the longer than planned journey times it would have been necessary to throw extra buses into the situation to plug gaps but they didn't have spare drivers to do that, this would have been made worse by drivers hitting the maximum number of hours they are legally allowed behind the wheel at a point in the journey before where they were scheduled to be relieved, which means trips have to be cancelled whilst the bus returns to depot out of service so the driver gets his break on time.

I have to say during my journeys to/from work on the 25 I didn't see as many 24s going the other way as expected but plenty of 25s, however as the 24 only goes to Lowedges during the daytime any poor performance on the 24 didn't effect me. the 25 seemed to run OK generally.

I guess those that live at the Woodhouse side of route 24 don't have much choice, but heading towards Lowedges via Heeley, Woodseats and Meadowhead from the same stop as the 24 in the City Centre there is the 25, 43, 43a, 44 and X17 so those not confined to just First buses generally have lots of buses to choose from and don't really notice - at least in the daytime anyway.

The amount of buses that haven't turned up since the bus change is ridiculous. 3 hours it took me to get from Shiregreen to Southey Green. 20 didn't turn up after waiting 45 minutes, decided to go and wait for 97 which was due, an hour later still no bus. Had to go back to the other bus stop and thankfully a 83 came 10 minutes later.

Freezing it was outside with a baby and a toddler, this journey would usually only take me no more then 45 minutes.

The amount of buses that haven't turned up since the bus change is ridiculous. 3 hours it took me to get from Shiregreen to Southey Green. 20 didn't turn up after waiting 45 minutes, decided to go and wait for 97 which was due, an hour later still no bus. Had to go back to the other bus stop and thankfully a 83 came 10 minutes later.

Freezing it was outside with a baby and a toddler, this journey would usually only take me no more then 45 minutes.

https://www.change.org/p/sheffield-city-council-reverse-the-changes-to-buses-in-sheffield-from-november-2015?recruiter=38659295&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=share_facebook_responsive&utm_term=des-lg-petition_update-no_msg&fb_ref=Default

Sign the petition and ring Traveline to log a complaint on 01709 515151

Your journey sounds appalling :(

Edited by bagger

Dont say that they may end up striking again. We havent had one of those for a while.

Would we notice?