First Bus Driver admits why Busses are not showing up!

If it was true it would be bad. Unfortunately there is not a shred of truth in it.

Are you suggesting that the First Bus driver lied to me?

If they haven't got enough drivers then there isn't a lot they can do about it.

Having seen the multiple threads on here regarding bus drivers, I can only assume that the general public feel that bus drivers are an underclass who can do nothing right....hardly a good advert for those thinking of training.

Because they lie when they say they don't know why a bus is late. At least hats of to this bloke for his honesty.

---------- Post added 07-11-2015 at 10:38 ----------

Odd that I had the same reason given to me several years ago by a First bus driver as to why my bus service kept putting themselves out of service in Firth Park and heading off towards town rather than Wincobank, leaving 20-30 passengers standing there freezing.

My service is notorious amongst its passengers for doing a Houdini on a regular basis. If it isn't true that drivers are being pulled to cover more profitable routes then why is it?

Come on then Busdriver1 explain this disappearance then?

It's because he has no shares and is jealous of the ones that do

I've always wondered why people who complain about price increases and poor service don't buy shares in the companies they complain about... :huh:

... that way they'll feel a lot better knowing they're making lots of dosh when their next gas bill arrives or their bus doesn't turn up on time! ;)

So if there are so many bus drivers and services have been cut by 25% across the network what happened to all the hours the drivers used to work ?

Guest busdriver1
Are you suggesting that the First Bus driver lied to me?

I am not getting involved in who is telling lies, hard to tell on this forum most of the time.

What I will say is there have been drivers transferred to other depots because of all the cuts in services so to suggest they are short is just not true.

I am not getting involved in who is telling lies, hard to tell on this forum most of the time.

What I will say is there have been drivers transferred to other depots because of all the cuts in services so to suggest they are short is just not true.

:suspect:

Swear on it? ;)

Ok like I said earlier, if the bus driver did lie to the OP (and I cannot understand why he would) then why are buses disappearing? Being late due to traffic I understand but not turning up at all???

Guest busdriver1
I thought the bus operators were subsidised to the tune of £3m-£4m a year in Sheffield.

Money comes from government :(

A very interesting and totally wrong "fact" that gets rolled out every so often.

Bus operators receive payment for services i.e. conveyance of concession pass holders ( at well below the cost of doing so), and b.s.o.g. (bus service operators grant) that used to be called fuel duty rebate. This used to equate to the tax paid on fuel in order to put them on a level footing with railways that pay no tax on fuel.

Recently b.s.o.g. was allocated to the PTE to pay out to operators instead of being paid direct to operators. They have allocated it as follows. Bus operators 0% PTE 100%, their justification is it is being used to enhance bus services...................

The third point where money is passed to operators is to run non viable services. This is because it is illegal to provide a service at a loss and the local authority has a legal obligation to provide socially desirable services. These services are put out to tender with normally the lowest price winning.

Non of these are subsidies, the provision of socially desirable services is debateable as the PTE seem to be failing on that one, the b.s.o.g. money that is being withheld and put into providing better services is not really debatable, its not happening and the concession passes are just payment for a service provided.

What is not really debatable is that the PTE are still paying for concessions to use the tram, that is over and above the requirements for the NCTS passes. If that was stopped, these users would use buses from all operators and may well make them more cost effective and reduce the need for the wholesale cuts we have just seen.

We are paying the price for the councils and PTE fiddling with something they quite clearly are not capable of understanding. Go look at your local bus service and tell me I am wrong.

---------- Post added 07-11-2015 at 11:24 ----------

Ok like I said earlier, if the bus driver did lie to the OP (and I cannot understand why he would) then why are buses disappearing? Being late due to traffic I understand but not turning up at all???

They are not turning up because they are getting later and later due to under provision due to the cuts, less buses, often single decks instead of double decks.

---------- Post added 07-11-2015 at 11:25 ----------

:suspect:

Swear on it? ;)

swear on what? I work at Rotherham depot, we have 10 new drivers transferred from Sheffield.

A very interesting and totally wrong "fact" that gets rolled out every so often.

Bus operators receive payment for services i.e. conveyance of concession pass holders ( at well below the cost of doing so), and b.s.o.g. (bus service operators grant) that used to be called fuel duty rebate. This used to equate to the tax paid on fuel in order to put them on a level footing with railways that pay no tax on fuel.

Recently b.s.o.g. was allocated to the PTE to pay out to operators instead of being paid direct to operators. They have allocated it as follows. Bus operators 0% PTE 100%, their justification is it is being used to enhance bus services...................

The third point where money is passed to operators is to run non viable services. This is because it is illegal to provide a service at a loss and the local authority has a legal obligation to provide socially desirable services. These services are put out to tender with normally the lowest price winning.

Non of these are subsidies, the provision of socially desirable services is debateable as the PTE seem to be failing on that one, the b.s.o.g. money that is being withheld and put into providing better services is not really debatable, its not happening and the concession passes are just payment for a service provided.

What is not really debatable is that the PTE are still paying for concessions to use the tram, that is over and above the requirements for the NCTS passes. If that was stopped, these users would use buses from all operators and may well make them more cost effective and reduce the need for the wholesale cuts we have just seen.

We are paying the price for the councils and PTE fiddling with something they quite clearly are not capable of understanding. Go look at your local bus service and tell me I am wrong.

---------- Post added 07-11-2015 at 11:24 ----------

They are not turning up because they are getting later and later due to under provision due to the cuts, less buses, often single decks instead of double decks.

---------- Post added 07-11-2015 at 11:25 ----------

swear on what? I work at Rotherham depot, we have 10 new drivers transferred from Sheffield.

Hang on a minute here if there are less buses then the bus driver is kind of right. They don't have enough bus drivers hes just failing to mention they dont have enough buses either.

Also how can a late bus turn into a disappearing bus? Its not the lateness that's the problem its that they disappear. Where do they go Narnia?

Guest busdriver1
Hang on a minute here if there are less buses then the bus driver is kind of right. They don't have enough bus drivers hes just failing to mention they dont have enough buses either.

Also how can a late bus turn into a disappearing bus? Its not the lateness that's the problem its that they disappear. Where do they go Narnia?

not rocket science, if a bus is late what do you think happens to it? It gets run to a point where it is back on time so therefore misses out some or all of a trip. therefore a missing bus.

so its true drivers have been sent to bristol then and the new bus service is a farce can i ask who is the person at fault for not having a bus after 11pm to main place in the city ?