LG 47LN5400 Screen gone black!!

Help, I have an LG 47LN5400 Tv that I purchased in May 14. Nice TV that has been great since day one, then today all of a sudden, the screen went blank, sound was still coming through but no picture. Did the usual, turned it off and back on, screen pops up for a second then goes blank again, checked all the cables for looseness, but nothing. Hoping someone has any ideas, did a Google search which brings up nothing but bad news.....

Help, I have an LG 47LN5400 Tv that I purchased in May 14. Nice TV that has been great since day one, then today all of a sudden, the screen went blank, sound was still coming through but no picture. Did the usual, turned it off and back on, screen pops up for a second then goes blank again, checked all the cables for looseness, but nothing. Hoping someone has any ideas, did a Google search which brings up nothing but bad news.....

Sounds like a fault with the backlight, or backlight power supply...

I would contact where you bought it from, and/or LG directly....

Sounds like a fault with the backlight, or backlight power supply...

I would contact where you bought it from, and/or LG directly....

It was from Argos, but i can imagine they won't touch it, have to contact LG tomorrow. Been reading that it is a common problem with LG tv's, just find it annoying that it is only 18 months old, and, i am still paying for it...

It was from Argos, but i can imagine they won't touch it, have to contact LG tomorrow. Been reading that it is a common problem with LG tv's, just find it annoying that it is only 18 months old, and, i am still paying for it...

Just quote the sale of goods act, fit for purpose etc, and that electrical goods should have a lifetime of 6 years before they show faults....

How did you come up with the 6 years?

I have always be led to believe it depends on the price (you don't expect a budget model TV to last as long as an mid or high-end model) and still you would potentially have to go to court.

I only ever get TVs from John Lewis or Richer Sounds though, as they provide 5/6 year warranties as standard.

could even be capacitors that have gone or going,they are inside on the power board.

How did you come up with the 6 years?

The act states anything "up-to" 6 years.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2006/mar/25/consumernews.howtocomplain

I bought a fridge from Argos that failed in around 18 months so I complained that it had not lasted a reasonable time. At first they refused to deal with it and said it was not under guarantee. After writing a letter explaining it was their responsibility to deal with it they asked me to get an engineer out and send in a report which they would pay for if the fault as not done by me. The report stated a flaw in the compressor which could not be repaired and would need to be replaced. Argos then arranged to send a replacement and also refunded the call-out and report charge.

The moral is, dont give up easily and dont be fobbed of by the "its not under guarantee" spiel as its the sellers responsibility to deal with it.

BTW I bought my TV from Richer and also got a free 6 year guarantee. ;)