Camera recomendations

I've got an Olympus OM-D E-M10 which does everything I want. It's got nice retro styling too and isn't too big. I think it's about £450 now.

I've got an Olympus OM-D E-M10 which does everything I want. It's got nice retro styling too and isn't too big. I think it's about £450 now.

Very nice camera, love the retro look.

Someone earlier in the thread said they had a compact camera for some situations, and an SLR for others, and then went on to wonder why people have 'bridge' cameras.

The answer is because they do not want two cameras, and therefore compromise slightly on the size (vs a compact) and quality (vs an SLR) and get a camera that is for most purposes, absolutely fine, and indeed a long way superior to the Instamatic cameras my parents had.

Cameras with optical viewfinders are hard to find these days. Even the Olympus OM-D M10 referred to has an electronic optical finder rather than one that is truly optical.

EVF's will soon outclass all optical viewfinders, all cameras will have them.

I like the optical viewfinder on my DSLR because the image updates at the speed of light. It does, however, make the unit rather cumbersome by modern standards, although it's much more convenient than a Linhof.

The EVF on my micro 4/3 camera has much more information, and shows the effect of various setting in real time, and in this regard is better, but it still lags behind the action to a degree, and this will be the case for a long time because in a DSLR the light travels a fairly direct route, and is, as you know, the fastest thing there is.

For action an optical viewfinder will be best for some time.

I don't see how they can. It's like saying seeing something on TV is better than seeing it in real life.

I don't see how they can. It's like saying seeing something on TV is better than seeing it in real life.

There are some disadvantages with EVF's but technology will soon overcome them, the obvious benefit is the huge amount of info that can be displayed in them, things like focus peaking, they make things like exposure and depth of field setting easy because what you see on the screen is what you'll get in the photo, less guesswork, as the tech improves the problems associated with EVF's will vanish.