Taxis stopping on Sheaf Street

Well, this evening was the third time this week that I've been in traffic queuing back to and blocking the parkway roundabout because a taxi driver thought it was okay to spend 5 mins unloading passengers and luggage on Sheaf Street in front of the station.

Acceptable, stupid, ignorant, or arrogant?

Whatever it is, increasingly common that's for sure.

Well, this evening was the third time this week that I've been in traffic queuing back to and blocking the parkway roundabout because a taxi driver thought it was okay to spend 5 mins unloading passengers and luggage on Sheaf Street in front of the station.

There seems to be some terrible driving from taxis lately, at least at the station when they cannot be bothered to actually drive into the station setting down area they pull into the bus stop - that does disrupt buses but no other traffic! The cars parking in the station bus stops isn't limited to taxis though.

The big area where taxis are an ongoing issue is West Street and I don't know why the council licencing department don't do anything about it. The stop or make a u-turn at the drop of a hat - only last night I witnessed an UBER car nearly get rear ended by a tram because it stopped without warning by the junction just before Tesco. Then there are the black cabs that don't pull into the rank properly blocking the tram tracks and of course spilling into the bus stop outside what was Varsity bar so buses cannot pull in, resulting in queues of traffic stuck behind the bus.

I know the tram and bus drivers unions have an ongoing campaign against taxis behaving dangerously on West Street and the residents in the flats up there are also unhappy at the amount of horn blowing caused by the taxis.

You should see them in rudyard road hillsborough at weekends park where they want on double yellow lines , using people property as a toilet and the council dont give a <removed>

Edited by Groose
masked swearing

You should see them in rudyard road hillsborough at weekends park where they want on double yellow lines , using people property as a toilet and the council dont give a <removed>

Can't you dress similar to the traffic wardens, and hold a tablet or similar in your hand and 'check' a few vehicles in their view?

They may just move then.

Edited by Groose
masked swearing

This is a big problem as well outside the York pub in Broomhill, there can be a many as eight taxis parked on the double yellow lines just before the traffic lights, they cause mayhem, and aren't the slightest bit bothered. When they do decide to move they just do a U turn in the middle of the road. Something urgently needs to be done about taxi drivers in Sheffield.

Why not video these transgressions, making sure that Reg & Taxi Plates are clearly visible, and send them in to Mr Mothersole, Taxi Licensing and Councillors.

Ask for confirmation of what action is being taken against the License Holders.

I cant remember the last i saw a taxi driver use his indicators in front of me. I was behind one from University roundabout all the way to Abbeydale Road without using his indicators once.

I work near West Bar roundabout and there's at least 1 black taxi crash a week.

It has been a while since the last taxi rant thread, and am glad that one has come along again because I like consistency :D

Not just taxi's either. You regularly see cars stop to drop off and pick up at the Tap.

Not just taxi's either. You regularly see cars stop to drop off and pick up at the Tap.

I wonder why they do it Cyclone? It's a mystery :shocked::confused::hihi:

I know the answer, you know the answer, and everyone* else does too (*the ones who have attempted pick ups and drop offs at the station, taxi or not, at busy times).

Will you, or someone else, explain this to the OP and other contributors who agree with the Sheaf Street title? I've written things so many times that I think most people skip past them.

They're selfish and lazy and don't think the rules apply to them?

There seems to be some terrible driving from taxis lately

Totally agree. I have lost count of the times that drivers of a certain Sheffield Taxi company have just stopped dead in front of me with no indication. I'm beginning to wonder if they WANT me to drive in to them. If I wasn't a very safe and experienced driver, I would have had smashed in to at least one this week. It always seems to be the same company.

Last week one decided to do a U Turn in the middle of a main road right in front of me with no indication whatsoever.