So, Hoverboards are Illegal in the UK

The UK really is becoming like some dystopian science fiction future where every facet of life is controllde by the authorities for the protection of the public.

Now apparently the new fad, hoverboards (kind of like a Segway but without the handle part) are fully illegal in the UK due to health and safety reasons.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/oct/12/hoverboards-illegal-pavements-roads-scooters

One of the reasons I left the UK was the government's insistence on lack of free-will and complete control over the choices made by the public apparently 'for their own good'.

So, do you feel safer in your homes knowing that the newest international toy fad is banned in the UK, or do you wish the government would allow common sense to prevail and assume that someone isn't going to ride their hoverboard at 90mph in to a bus stop full of school children?

Another law that the police don't have the time, money or man power to enforce.

They're not quite fully illegal. They're illegal to use on public paths and roads.

I can understand why they're illegal on roads, but not why they aren't allowed on pavements and paths.

They're not quite fully illegal. They're illegal to use on public paths and roads.

I can understand why they're illegal on roads, but not why they aren't allowed on pavements and paths.

From the CPS guidance.

"I have been riding a self-balancing scooter on the public footway (pavement) outside my house, have I committed an offence?"

Yes. It is an offence under section 72 of the Highway Act 1835 to ride or drive a vehicle on the pavement. It is only an offence under this Act in England and Wales.

Because they are dangerous. They travel a lot faster than a pedestrian, can do a lot of damage if they hit them. Same reason it's not permissible to have a pedal cyclist on the pavement, or one of the faster invalid carriages.

Now apparently the new fad, hoverboards (kind of like a Segway but without the handle part) are fully illegal in the UK due to health and safety reasons.

You completely misrepresent the issue. They're not illegal, you can legally own one, and ride it anywhere that's private land (with permission).

One of the reasons I left the UK was the government's insistence on lack of free-will and complete control over the choices made by the public apparently 'for their own good'.

Yawn.

So, do you feel safer in your homes knowing that the newest international toy fad is banned in the UK

They're not banned.

or do you wish the government would allow common sense to prevail and assume that someone isn't going to ride their hoverboard at 90mph in to a bus stop full of school children?

Do they have to be going 90mph to injure someone?

The UK really is becoming like some dystopian science fiction future where every facet of life is controllde by the authorities for the protection of the public.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/oct/12/hoverboards-illegal-pavements-roads-scooters

So, do you feel safer in your homes knowing that the newest international toy fad is banned in the UK, or do you wish the government would allow common sense to prevail and assume that someone isn't going to ride their hoverboard at 90mph in to a bus stop full of school children?

Wow. That's a rant full of rubbish isn't it? Hoverboards are not illegal. They cannot be ridden on pavements under the same law that cars cannot drive on pavements as they are classed as carriages. Mobility scooters where specifically added to the law so they can drive on pavements. Hoverboards also cannot drive on roads as they have no valid MOT and DO NOT YET have an exemption from this requirement like bicycles have.

The only reason they are 'illegal' as you put is, is simply because they haven't been added to existing legislation yet in the same manner mobility scooter and bicycles were.

Because they are dangerous. They travel a lot faster than a pedestrian, can do a lot of damage if they hit them. Same reason it's not permissible to have a pedal cyclist on the pavement, or one of the faster invalid carriages.

Agreed. I got bumped into by someone in Las Vegas who was probably being reasonably sensible. I sustained a fairly decent bruise on my ankle in the process and was knocked over. I did get straight back up but given that I am 16 st and have played rugby for 25 years I dread to think what the outcome would have been if an old lady had been in my place.

That's from a month ago.

And no, they're not illegal to ride, they're illegal to ride on the public pavement or the road.

Ride it in your garden or on your large estate.

---------- Post added 06-11-2015 at 15:32 ----------

Another law that the police don't have the time, money or man power to enforce.

It's not an additional law, it's an application of existing laws. No motorised vehicles on the pavement, no motorised vehicles on the road that haven't passed road safety tests.

I've seen a young Chinese lad riding round on one of those electric unicycles with one wheel. But I must admit, I've not seen one of those Hoverboards - only seen Segways when we went to media city in Salford - this guy in a suit was riding round on one - they look really naff

Btw +1 to most of you, more common sense on this thread than usual, apart from the OP.

wait until January 2016, then the government has banned the use of electric bicycles!!, those over the 250Kw motor range are banned for use in public spaces, the ones with motors 250kw or under have to have a metal ID plate riveted onto the bicycle with the motor number and battery output.

Whats next?, will they introduce mandatory number plates for all bicycles?.

Its looking like it to me.

http://www.gov.uk/electric-bike-rules