So, Hoverboards are Illegal in the UK

wait until January 2016, then the government has banned the use of electric bicycles!!, those over the 250Kw motor range are banned for use in public spaces, the ones with motors 250kw or under have to have a metal ID plate riveted onto the bicycle with the motor number and battery output.

Whats next?, will they introduce mandatory number plates for all bicycles?.

Its looking like it to me.

http://www.gov.uk/electric-bike-rules

250kw!!!? really? that's about 300hp.. I think your units may be wrong... :)

Edited by truman

Btw +1 to most of you, more common sense on this thread than usual, apart from the OP.

Why is it common sense to restrict it?

To the people who agree with the authorities that it's far too dangerous to use on on public grounds, have you researched the accident statistics in other countries to come to this conclusion, or have you just blindly agreed that the authorities must be looking out for your best interests.

They're perfectly legal where I live and in many other countries and yet I can't find any reports of mass accidents caused by them in such countries that the UK are avoiding by banning them.

I didn't raise the point because of hoverboards, but the wider issue of government control over citizens.

Why is it common sense to restrict it?

To the people who agree with the authorities that it's far too dangerous to use on on public grounds, have you researched the accident statistics in other countries to come to this conclusion, or have you just blindly agreed that the authorities must be looking out for your best interests.

They're perfectly legal where I live and in many other countries and yet I can't find any reports of mass accidents caused by them in such countries that the UK are avoiding by banning them.

I didn't raise the point because of hoverboards, but the wider issue of government control over citizens.

Ok there are 2 aspects.

1. Are they safe to use on roads? Considering the limited speed and the fact they arent taxed and insured, then roads are out.

2. Are they safe to use on paths? Paths imo are really for pedestrians. the data on hoverboards wouldnt be available because they are really new. However they are classed as motorised vehicles and as such are caught inbetween being unsuitable for roads and paths. maybe they would be ok with them being used on cycle lanes. I dont like people who use footpaths for bikes either.

I used the phrase common sense because there seems to be consensus. It will be hard to enforce.

Government control? you can see most people so far (who would be pedestrians) agree with the decision. I dont see the great concern that you obviously do about the power of government. id be more concerned about how they handle snooping and keeping data on everyones internet.

wait until January 2016, then the government has banned the use of electric bicycles!!, those over the 250Kw motor range are banned for use in public spaces, the ones with motors 250kw or under have to have a metal ID plate riveted onto the bicycle with the motor number and battery output.

Whats next?, will they introduce mandatory number plates for all bicycles?.

Its looking like it to me.

http://www.gov.uk/electric-bike-rules

Well it's about time cyclists were traceable.They pull stupid stunts,cause accidents,then disappear off into the distance.Then they have the brassed necked cheek to photograph motorists.

Now apparently the new fad, hoverboards (kind of like a Segway but without the handle part) are fully illegal in the UK due to health and safety reasons.

Please quote which Health and Safety advice, rules, laws, legislation etc. applies in this case.

These vehicles cannot be used on roads and footways in most northern European countries without restrictions for a variety of reasons:

1-as they are allowed only on designated cycleways.

2-need lights, reflective surfaces and a bell.

3-classified as mopeds and need insurance.

4-too fast.

5-too big.

6-need licence plate.

Ireland and France are exceptions.

The UK really is becoming like some dystopian science fiction future where every facet of life is controllde by the authorities for the protection of the public.

Now apparently the new fad, hoverboards (kind of like a Segway but without the handle part) are fully illegal in the UK due to health and safety reasons.

But people who buy into this "fad" should know the law before buying one and not expect the law to suddenly exempt them because of a sudden trend. As the saying goes "ignorance of the law is no excuse."

Out driving last night, I came across two hoverboard riders also on my stretch of road. Their boards were lit up brightly with blue LEDs. They were much less of a hazard than the many cyclists I come across in the dark without any lights.

Ride it in your garden or on your large estate.

Most people do not inherit land nor do they have access to it.

ahhh but like you, the op isn't most people

Shall we legalise shooting then as that's only legal on private property too? :hihi:

Shall we legalise shooting then as that's only legal on private property too? :hihi:

Then it's already legal :roll: