Chunk big knitting patterns

Hi :wave:

I learnt to knit years ago, but have only tackled basic patterns and I've never got very good at it as I only tend to want to knit in the winter!

I like to knit super chunky things and am currently doing a scarf to get myself back into it, but know I'll quickly get bored just doing basic scarfs all the time.

Can anyone recommend a book or any knitting patterns that might be slightly more advanced than beginner, but still relatively simple and quick to make?

Thanks!

Hi,

It depends how far you want to go with the knitting really - Go onto smaller needles and just cast on about 15 stitches. Work backwards and forwards in moss stitch (like k1, p1 rib gone wrong) and you have the makings of a retro tie. I've done this in a purple tweed wool and it looks very good.

Hand warmers are easy to do. Keep to the basis rectangle, fold in half and sew up, leaving a space for the thumb. These can still be done in chunky yarn.

I've seen some good knitting books in Brierlow Bar Bookshop out in the Peak District and had a quick flick through a knitting book in Aldi's the other day and that had some canny things in.

Good luck with the knitting.

Try taking a look on Ravelry.......patterns for everything imaginable and all skill levels.

Yes, Ravelry is very good. Laughing Hens have down loadable patterns too.

I love knitting chunky, especially leg warmers and giant snood scarves. I find ravelry magnificent for if I need a quick pattern solution but it can be busy and overwhelming so when I'm learning I'd rather sink into a good pattern book with a cuppa.

What do you love to see in chunky yarn? If you were on Pinterest which pictures would you pin? Can we put pics in posts? (Sorry I'm new to the forum) I'd love to see what you've made already.

Edited by SHCarpentry
Spelling

...so when I'm learning I'd rather sink into a good pattern book with a cuppa. ...

The good thing about Ravelry is that you can, in most instances, search for that good pattern book there and browse through its patterns before you buy it.

As you can also see project photographs and notes from those who've already finished the patterns, Ravelry is also an excellent way of discovering just how those patterns knit up. Although the difficulty rating for each pattern is, of course, subjective, browsing through the completed projects for each pattern soon highlights any consistent issues others have had with them. It's also a great way of finding yarns suitable for each pattern, should the specified yarn be discontinued or, in the case of a US publication, not readily available over here.

...Can we put pics in posts?

You can't put photos in posts, but you can post links to photos posted on Photobucket, Flickr and so on.