Is there a proper tobacco shop in Sheffield any more?

When you factor the C & P below it is not clear cut

Imagine a patient in her 40s who is diagnosed with terminal cancer as a result of her smoking. Let’s say her care costs the NHS £20,000 before she passes away. Now imagine we could go back in time and prevent her from taking up smoking in the first place. She might live into her 80s, and even if she spends that time in relatively good health is likely to require any number of GP consultations and routine prescriptions in that time.

If her treatment over these decades costs any more than £20,000 then actually the NHS would have spent less had she been a smoker.

We need REAL figures.

"Let's say" doesn't cut it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not being awkward - I simply can't abide people trying to argue without concrete facts.

Sorry.

It is indeed, but it isn't yours. A quick search has confirmed what I suspected - you are talking poppycock.

Without seeing your search results, it's hard to verify your comments either.

This link makes interesting reading;

https://fullfact.org/factchecks/does_smoking_cost_as_much_as_it_makes_for_the_treasury-29288

It suggests that the overall cost to the NHS is much lower than the revenue raised to central government.

I'm sure that there are other links which state the opposite. Which ones did you find?

Without seeing your search results, it's hard to verify your comments either.

This link makes interesting reading;

https://fullfact.org/factchecks/does_smoking_cost_as_much_as_it_makes_for_the_treasury-29288

It suggests that the overall cost to the NHS is much lower than the revenue raised to central government.

I'm sure that there are other links which state the opposite. Which ones did you find?

Take a look for yourself - Sorry, I'm not your personal Google searcher.

We need REAL figures.

"Let's say" doesn't cut it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not being awkward - I simply can't abide people trying to argue without concrete facts.

Sorry.

The post was meant to say that any figures about tax revenue and NHS cost are not as clear cut as they may seem,

What my post suggest is, if a 40 year old person receives £20,000 of treatment for smoking related illness and then dies,

If the person had not smoked and lived till he/she was 80 would that persons cost with GP visits, hospital treatment, medication, etc etc be more than his/hers over the 40 years?

I would say a non smoker that lives to be 80 will cost the NHS more than a smoker that dies aged 40?

Edited by kidley

The post was meant to say that any figures about tax revenue and NHS cost are not as clear cut as they may seem,

What my post suggest is, if a 40 year old person receives £20,000 of treatment for smoking related illness and then dies,

If the person had not smoked and lived till he/she was 80 would that persons cost with GP visits, hospital treatment, medication, etc etc be more than his/hers over the 40 years?

I see what you mean now, kidley. I'm sure you will agree that the figures should be made more clear to us taxpayers.

Pretty clear cut to me, raise 12 bill in revenue, spend about 6 bill on treatment which is what I said all along :roll:

You do realise the government get more in tobacco tax than they spend on smoking related diseases right?

A large percentage of smokers and drinkers don't pay any tax , and really, are you so bloody minded to use that as a good reason to carry on smoking ? :loopy:

Yes I am,

Are you sure there's not tax on fags and beer? I could have sworn tax made 30% or more of their price.

Edited by Itrytoplease

Unemployed people should be banned from smoking or boozing - they simply cannot afford to to do it.

This is not an attack on unemployed people, just on those unemployed people who take the pee, with the money that is made available to them by the tax payer.

Yes I am,

Are you sure there's not tax on fags and beer? I could have sworn tax made 30% or more of their price.

If you are in full receipt of benefits, then no you are not paying any tax on cigs and booze. If you are a tax paying worker, not in receipt of any benefits, then yes you are paying tax on cigs and booze.

If you are in full receipt of benefits, then no you are not paying any tax on cigs and booze. If you are a tax paying worker, not in receipt of any benefits, then yes you are paying tax on cigs and booze.

This isn't about income tax or benefits, it's about the specific duties on alcohol and tobacco which, as well as VAT, means that most the purchase price is actually tax.