Is it safe to holiday in Muslim countries now?

So why exactly would that affect my decision not to take a holiday in Sharm el Shiek?

Did I say it would, or is that a strawman? :roll:

---------- Post added 15-11-2015 at 20:49 ----------

In the not too distant future, Travel Insurance companies will get jittery about insuring holidaymakers visiting middle eastern countries where the population is predominantly muslim. I for one wouldn't visit the middle east countries as the risk is just too high.

The government should insist that british subjects visiting these countries do so at their own risk and if it all kicks off they are left to their own devices to get out.

You have no understanding of how to quantify or assess risk do you.

In the not too distant future, Travel Insurance companies will get jittery about insuring holidaymakers visiting middle eastern countries where the population is predominantly muslim. I for one wouldn't visit the middle east countries as the risk is just too high.

The government should insist that british subjects visiting these countries do so at their own risk and if it all kicks off they are left to their own devices to get out.

Where do you think Cameron is right now..World leaders at G20 summit in ?

Where do you think Cameron is right now..World leaders at G20 summit in ?

He has probably just made it to his heavily guarded hotel,via armored car of course with tons of bodyguards too :hihi:

Did I say it would, or is that a strawman? :roll:

---------- Post added 15-11-2015 at 20:49 ----------

You have no understanding of how to quantify or assess risk do you.

That is pretty funny. I make my holiday plans based on my preference and safety and that of my family. We assess that there is a risk of terrorism disrupting our holiday if we book to go to a Muslim country. That disruption could be the risk of terrorists at the resort. Terrorists putting bombs on planes or more likely the holiday being cancelled. It would seem that probably 20% of people who booked holidays to Tunisia didn't get the holiday they expected. We are taking our winter break in Florida where tourists aren't a target for the terrorists.

We won't be making that mistake, and neither it seems will our friends and aquaintances. We don't need a key board warrior to second guess our decision. You of course are free to visit Sharm if you want, but you won't do because all you want is an argument on here.

As for folks ability to asseess risk. I'm not about to take the word of a self appointed expert on that matter either.

We have a holiday booked for next year in turkey. Sarigerme is where we are staying,and it's been booked since May last year.we traveled to sarigerme in September of this year & felt totally safe in the resort,but with recent events we are wondering if to cancel? There are 8 of us going but we are seriously considering changing to Spain or Greece? I'm not really up on politics & am just going on what's been going on in the news the past few weeks.

Would you cancel & go somewhere else or shall we stick with our booking?

Any advice/input/opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't holiday anywhere that actively supports terrorists

We have a holiday booked for next year in turkey. Sarigerme is where we are staying,and it's been booked since May last year.we traveled to sarigerme in September of this year & felt totally safe in the resort,but with recent events we are wondering if to cancel? There are 8 of us going but we are seriously considering changing to Spain or Greece? I'm not really up on politics & am just going on what's been going on in the news the past few weeks.

Thanks in advance.

If you think it would bother you or you would feel unsafe then change the booking. A holiday should be relaxing. However, if you think you'd feel safe and fine and you love the place then go and forget about things outside of your control.

Only really you can answer this. I'd feel safe enough in Western Turkey to travel, not so sure about central or eastern though.

Thanks in advance.

Safe can either be objective or subjective. If you wnat to take into account of something acually happening from terrorism, then the chances are very low compared to other readily accepted risks.

The subjective side is important though and I think Kae pointed out the key point as to think how it makes you feel and if you are too worried then rebook. Maybe talk with the group about it and look at the travel advice. The FCO specifically points out the risk is highest on the Syrian border which ofc is obvious as its enxt to a war zone.

Theres still a chance it could happen in the rest of the country, but then it could also happen in Spain or Greece as well. There was a bomb attack on a political rally in Ankara, which has been the worst attack in Turkeys history, but that looks like internal strife.

Why not post your question on trip advisor so you cna connect with more people who have veen here rcently like this person did (its a few years old) http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g811172-i12779-k6868382-Travel_safety_in_sarigerme_turkey-Dalaman_Mugla_Province_Turkish_Aegean_Coast.html

If you felt safe in September, then I dont think the situation has changed. It seems secluded and far away. the Russian dispute is only likely tio affect you by lower prices and fewer russian tourists. Chat with the others, see what TA has to say and keep it under review. Find out what your rebooking rights and cancelation fees are so you cna make an informed decision.

If it was me then at this stage I'd carry on, especially as youve been before.

Thera re 41m visitors to Turkey, so your chances of being affected are likely to be more han a million to one. Heres a pice from the independent

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/suruc-bombing-is-it-safe-to-travel-in-turkey-10403122.html

What's the risk?

Given the speed with which the Foreign Office updates their travel advice following incidents, taking their pointers should help keep tourists out of danger.

Around 41 million tourists visit Turkey every year, around 2.5 million of them British. The overwhelming majority of these come back totally unscathed, apart from possibly some sunburn.

The attack on Suruc was horrific, but the expert view is that there shouldn't be a problem if you stay out of dangerous areas

Thanks in advance.

I'd change. You wouldnt be able to relax, thinking something might happen at any time... then there's the flight back, more stress..

Safe can either be objective or subjective. If you wnat to take into account of something acually happening from terrorism, then the chances are very low compared to other readily accepted risks.

The subjective side is important though and I think Kae pointed out the key point as to think how it makes you feel and if you are too worried then rebook. Maybe talk with the group about it and look at the travel advice. The FCO specifically points out the risk is highest on the Syrian border which ofc is obvious as its enxt to a war zone.

Theres still a chance it could happen in the rest of the country, but then it could also happen in Spain or Greece as well. There was a bomb attack on a political rally in Ankara, which has been the worst attack in Turkeys history, but that looks like internal strife.

Why not post your question on trip advisor so you cna connect with more people who have veen here rcently like this person did (its a few years old) http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g811172-i12779-k6868382-Travel_safety_in_sarigerme_turkey-Dalaman_Mugla_Province_Turkish_Aegean_Coast.html

If you felt safe in September, then I dont think the situation has changed. It seems secluded and far away. the Russian dispute is only likely tio affect you by lower prices and fewer russian tourists. Chat with the others, see what TA has to say and keep it under review. Find out what your rebooking rights and cancelation fees are so you cna make an informed decision.

If it was me then at this stage I'd carry on, especially as youve been before.

Thera re 41m visitors to Turkey, so your chances of being affected are likely to be more han a million to one. Heres a pice from the independent

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/suruc-bombing-is-it-safe-to-travel-in-turkey-10403122.html

But that's all historical data. Ukraine was a pretty safe place to visit a couple of years ago.

From my perspective I wouldn't go to visit any coutry where terrorist armies exist. In Turkey, Syria, Iraq, Libya, Tunisia, Egypt and most other middle eastern countries there are armed militia groups roaming around beyond the ability of the governments to control.

What happened in France was pretty dreadful but in these countries the terrorists can put their hands on ground to air missiles, tanks and other heavy weaponry.

There are hundreds of countries to visit where you don't face those threats, so why risk visiting one where it does.

But that's all historical data. Ukraine was a pretty safe place to visit a couple of years ago.

From my perspective I wouldn't go to visit any coutry where terrorist armies exist. In Turkey, Syria, Iraq, Libya, Tunisia, Egypt and most other middle eastern countries there are armed militia groups roaming around beyond the ability of the governments to control.

What happened in France was pretty dreadful but in these countries the terrorists can put their hands on ground to air missiles, tanks and other heavy weaponry.

There are hundreds of countries to visit where you don't face those threats, so why risk visiting one where it does.

OP Go to the official sites and talk to people who have actually been there in recent times as I suggested, then make your own mind up. Read the links I provided as they are certainly more informed and relevant to your query.

Thanks in advance.

i would change your holiday, the area is likely to get more attention in the coming months and you as westerners may not be flavour of the month, BUT having said that i have just returned from my 3rd trip this year to Dubai to visit my daughter who lives there, this is also an Islamic country and i have never felt safer there out late, safer than London , manchester or Sheffield, the people are lovely and the place is spotless, nothing to do with a terror threat i know, i have also been to Morocco this year where i felt safe also.

unfortunately nobody can predict where the next terrorist outrage will come from.