Is it safe to holiday in Muslim countries now?

Truman it was exxon , didnt want to repost the big cut and paste he did and wasnt expecting intervening posts.

OK.. Ta.....

How many were killed in road accidents in France? How many in Tunisia? Is the prevlance of out of controlled camels relevant? What about Spain? They've lost 80 odd people in a rail accident recently? Should we avoid Spain?

Terrorism as a cause of death is usually down in the "suffocated with a tea cosy" category in terms of liklehood.

I wasn't the one concerned about road accidents. I merely pointed out that the roads in Tunisia are twice as dangerous as those quoted in France.

Regarding the terrorist threat. It varies country to country. But I'd be interested in you verdict on our Governments assessment of travelling to Tunisia, because these tea cosies can get dangerous in the wrong hands.

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advise against all travel to:

the Chaambi Mountain National Park area

the Tunisia-Algeria border crossing points at Ghardimaou, Hazoua and Sakiet Sidi Youssef

the militarized zone south of, but not including, the towns of El Borma and Dhehiba

within 5km of the Libya border area from north of Dhehiba up to but not including the Ras Ajdir border crossing

The FCO advise against all but essential travel to the rest of Tunisia.

If you choose to travel to or remain in Tunisia then you should check that your insurance policy provides adequate cover. You should be especially vigilant and follow the advice of the Tunisian security authorities.

There are no direct flights between the UK and Monastir or Enfidah airports. There are daily Tunis Air flights from Tunis Carthage airport direct to London, and indirect daily departures with European carriers. Contact your airline or travel company directly if you have an enquiry about your travel plans.

If you need consular assistance (above and beyond travel information) you should contact the British Embassy in Tunis.

There is a high threat from terrorism in Tunisia. A terrorist attack took place at Port El Kantaoui near Sousse on 26 June. Thirty eight foreign tourists were killed, including 30 British nationals. Further terrorist attacks are highly likely, including in tourist resorts, and by individuals unknown to the authorities whose actions may be inspired by terrorist groups via social media. You should be especially vigilant at this time and follow the advice of the Tunisian security authorities.

Since the attack in Sousse, we have been working closely with the Tunisian authorities to investigate the attack and the wider threat from terrorist groups in Tunisia. Although we have had good co-operation from the Tunisian government, including putting in place additional security measures, the intelligence and threat picture has developed considerably, reinforcing our view that a further terrorist attack is highly likely. On balance, we do not believe the mitigation measures in place provide adequate protection for British tourists in Tunisia at the present time.

On 8 July, the Tunisian Prime Minister stated publicly that further attacks were likely. The Tunisian authorities have increased their security measures but have also acknowledged the limitations in their ability to counter the current terrorist threat. See Terrorism

---------- Post added 06-11-2015 at 15:28 ----------

And the point that you're missing is that the risk is still extremely small. Smaller than the chance of you being killed in a car accident whilst going to a "safer" destination on your alternative holiday.

It's always good to get advice from an expert such as yourself.

Edited by exxon

It's always good to get advice from an expert such as yourself.

Just a pity you don't entertain it in favour of being a bit of a jerk.

Just a pity you don't entertain it in favour of being a bit of a jerk.

i know but I'm too polite to mention it, and he means well otherwise.

Edited by exxon

What a nonsensical and arbitrary position to take!

You have no understanding of the real risks (or desire to find out I think).

What a stupid thing to say!

I have every understanding of the risk. Any risk above 0 makes it not worthwhile because, as I said, I have no particular desire to visit any such hellholes.

We go to Turkey twice a year sometime we have been three time in the year never had a problem..love the place and the people we have booked for next year not put me off one bit cant wait till next year.

You got a point but I'm sure you could go on the foreign office website and get a report on how or unsafe a place is if you can be bothered to do so. However london is a big target and we all know what happened in France last year. The threat of terrorism (or a natural disaster) is practically everywhere.

But not as potentially serious as in a Muslim dominated country.

---------- Post added 06-11-2015 at 19:52 ----------

It has probably never been so unsafe for a person from a western country to visit predominantly Muslim countries today, especially those in the Middle East. Why do British people potentially put themselves at risk just to seek sunshine? There are many tourist destinations that offer good weather without the risk of possible terrorism, isn't it time the public started being more responsible and safety aware rather than going to dangerous locations and then screaming 'why hasn't our government done something' when anything happens?

I can't understand either, from the western end of the North African coast to the middle east, why anyone would go to any of these countries, I'm even surprised that you can get travel insurance.

---------- Post added 06-11-2015 at 19:57 ----------

Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post

What a nonsensical and arbitrary position to take!

You have no understanding of the real risks (or desire to find out I think).

What a stupid thing to say!

I have every understanding of the risk. Any risk above 0 makes it not worthwhile because, as I said, I have no particular desire to visit any such hellholes.

Went to Tunisia some years back it was a filthy hellhole then.

Why do British people put themselves at risk? As discussed, we actually face higher risk travelling to the airport!

Dangerous locations - subjective, and misleading.

And I'm not sure who he refers to with screaming about the government doing something at the end...

So why has Russia suspended flights to Egypt? Surely they should have suspended the buses running to the airport in Russia.:loopy::loopy:

Edited by exxon

So you'd rather take a very narrow time frame of events and base your opinion on that, rather than the larger set of data.

Up to you I suppose.

The whole of North Africa is unsafe.

---------- Post added 08-11-2015 at 13:54 ----------

If you avoid the greater risk you wouldn't step out of the house hence you wouldn't get eaten by a shark or die from sunstroke or terrorism.

You can easily avoid a road accident but not if you're on a plane or stood at a bus queue when some Muslim sets of a suicide bomb.

You can easily avoid a road accident

No you can't, if it was easy there would be no road accidents..stop talking idiocy.

We go to Turkey twice a year sometime we have been three time in the year never had a problem..love the place and the people we have booked for next year not put me off one bit cant wait till next year.

We went to Ukraine a few years back and it was fine, but I certainly wouldn't go now. Turkey too is on a slippery slope and terror attacks on the increase.

More than 280 people have been blown up in Ankara in the last month by terrorists. Over 100 killed. Sadly Turkey is next door to a war zone and the troubles are spilling over.

That's the problem with being involved in a bomb incident. It's only when you are that it bothers you, and no dead folk are going to post to tell you about it.

Edited by exxon

Sounds great, holiday in Stone Age part of the world where a lot of the locals are doing their best to get out and head to Europe. Where did I put that brochure for the package tour to Syria?