North South economic divide increasing

The problem with that is that more people are drawn to the economic activity (not to the activity/person).

So like a blackhole, London keeps sucking people in and gets bigger, and other areas become more impoverished.

London has three constituencies in top ten poorest area of the UK.

---------- Post added 02-11-2015 at 14:28 ----------

Not really true;

"Britain's financial services sector grew rapidly between 2006 and 2009. The UK economy has long been a dominant player in financial services, along with the US, but growth in the sector between 2006 and 2009 was particularly rapid. By 2009, the sector accounted for 10% of UK GDP"

Financial services is about the same size as manufacturing.

---------- Post added 02-11-2015 at 14:20 ----------

No, I saw a few small hotspots outside London, but it quite clearly dominates, with its influence expanding quite some distance outside the city itself.

I saw more hot spots outside London than inside London.

Or a really important statistical analysis concept.

The lack of understanding of which leads to the drawing of erroneous conclusions, such as the one you're drawing (and you haven't even actually checked the evidence before reaching your conclusion...)

You read the first sentence and ignore the other sentence.

There isn't anything that you understand I might not. Any knowledge you have you get from google but you can't interpret it or add any insight to it because you are an automaton.

Sure, you're just the cleverest person around.

And, you magically know the source of ALL my knowledge.

Oh wait... No, you're entirely wrong.

---------- Post added 02-11-2015 at 15:13 ----------

I saw more hot spots outside London than inside London.

Well duh. You can only see 1 in a single location. It just happens to be absolutely huge.

The UK economy is dominated these days by London

Not according to this.

ONS produces interactive map showing economic activity across UK

http://www.neighbourhood.statistics.gov.uk/HTMLDocs/dvc134_d/index.html

You are trying to refute that London forms a large, maybe dominant part of the UK economy..

London generates approximately 22 per cent of the UK's GDP

I'd happen to agree that 22% is not dominating, but the map didn't show that, the figure does.

Edited by Cyclone

Sure, you're just the cleverest person around.

And, you magically know the source of ALL my knowledge.

Oh wait... No, you're entirely wrong.

---------- Post added 02-11-2015 at 15:13 ----------

Well duh. You can only see 1 in a single location. It just happens to be absolutely huge.

You are trying to refute that London forms a large, maybe dominant part of the UK economy..

I'd happen to agree that 22% is not dominating, but the map didn't show that, the figure does.

No, I demonstrated that the UK economy isn't dominated by London.

London is the largest and most densely populated city in the UK so it should have a larger economy than any other city or area, but other than the financial center its no better than the rest of the country and the map clearly shows that.

No, I demonstrated that the UK economy isn't dominated by London.

London is the largest and most densely populated city in the UK so it should have a larger economy than any other city or area, but other than the financial center its no better than the rest of the country and the map clearly shows that.

Actually you have done no such thing. ill be back later, busy at the moment.

Actually you have done no such thing. ill be back later, busy at the moment.

Just because you can't or don't want to see it doesn't mean I didn't achieve it.

Just because you can't or don't want to see it doesn't mean I didn't achieve it.

Okay then to save me time and to have it all in one place summarise how you proved it and whetever it is you claim to have proven, then I cna work from that. You can give me your top 5-10 points. Ill come back to it later today.

It will also be convenient for anyone else look at the thread then they cna make up their own minds.

Is it a North/South divide, or is it a London and surrounding areas/rest of the country divide?

Is it a North/South divide, or is it a London and surrounding areas/rest of the country divide?

I'd say it's more London and surrounding areas. Cornwall for example is relatively poor. However London prices seem to be having a much wider effect further afield. Prices seem to be going up everywhere. For example 2 tickets for a seaside show in Llandudno Wales, £80. 2 cups of coffee in Leeds £8.70. Family day out at a theme park getting on for £100. Prices aren't just going up a bit at a time but by 25-35% Gentrification is all very well, but a lot of people are simply being priced out of quite ordinary things.

Rents and house prices are in a catagory all of their own - rocketing in lots of places, so much so, that people without jobs cannot afford to move to where the work is. This is one of the causes of the North - South divide.

The economy is supposed to be improving according to the government, but not in the North its not. Ever climbing prices for the sake of it is not real growth.