North South economic divide increasing

What do you mean I am overestimating? I am saying that they have an impact, I am contradicting someine who said local councils have almost no impact on the local economy. I have not said it is a massive impact, nor even a medium impact.

Everyone agrees they have an impact. I just said it wasnt that significant when compared to other economic factors like skilled workforce, government policy, location, affluence of residents, existing market, global events etc.

Why are Labour muslim haters?

Everyone agrees they have an impact. I just said it wasnt that significant when compared to other economic factors like skilled workforce, government policy, location, affluence of residents, existing market, global events etc.

Why are Labour muslim haters?

You said the impact of local councils on the local economy was "very limited", I contest this. I agree that the things you have just mentioned also impact local economies.

Labour are Muslim (or brown people) haters because of the 500,000 to 1.3 million (estimates vary) of dead Muslims in Iraq and Afghanistan. Had the citizens of this country not been Muslim and/or brown, we would not have invaded.

You said the impact of local councils on the local economy was "very limited", I contest this. I agree that the things you have just mentioned also impact local economies.

Labour are Muslim (or brown people) haters because of the 500,000 to 1.3 million (estimates vary) of dead Muslims in Iraq and Afghanistan. Had the citizens of this country not been Muslim and/or brown, we would not have invaded.

You are assuming a Council has such a significant impact on the prosperity of a local area or that local areas started on an equal footing.

You are changing it again. thats what i said and it was in the context of which areas are successful or not. The reason areas in the South are more propserous has much more to do with historical factors than which council was in charge. Propserous areas will naturally be conservative, because its self interest from the people who are already there.

Whether an area is successful or not has significantly more to do historical factors like location, the existence of a skilled workforce and market and world economic events. Local councils have very little impact on those areas. They have some but its limited. The UK economy is dominated these days by London and Financial Services from the City. Local government didnt create these.

As for your muslim hater theory then maybe another thread. It just seemed random and I wondered why you had included it.

You are changing it again. thats what i said and it was in the context of which areas are successful or not. The reason areas in the South are more propserous has much more to do with historical factors than which council was in charge. Propserous areas will naturally be conservative, because its self interest from the people who are already there.

Whether an area is successful or not has significantly more to do historical factors like location, the existence of a skilled workforce and market and world economic events. Local councils have very little impact on those areas. They have some but its limited. The UK economy is dominated these days by London and Financial Services from the City. Local government didnt create these.

As for your muslim hater theory then maybe another thread. It just seemed random and I wondered why you had included it.

Not according to this.

ONS produces interactive map showing economic activity across UK

http://www.neighbourhood.statistics.gov.uk/HTMLDocs/dvc134_d/index.html

Not according to this.

Think youll find the very dark area covers the City and the surrounding areas are all supporting it becaise they are areas within easy commuting distance.

The gap between cities and towns in the south and the rest of the UK has widened over the past 10 years, according to a Centre for Cities analysis of Britain’s 64 largest cities and towns which draws on a decade of official data, despite stated efforts by the last two governments to bridge the north-south divide and rebalance the economy.

The Cities Outlook report finds cities in the south are out-performing those in the rest of the country in terms of population growth and in the number of jobs and businesses created.

http://www.theguardian.com/cities/datablog/2015/jan/19/uk-cities-ranked-jobs-migration-house-prices-broadband-speeds-data

Britain's fastest growing cities are all in the south – and its shrinking ones all in the north

http://www.citymetric.com/business/britains-fastest-growing-cities-are-all-south-and-its-shrinking-ones-all-north-1323

I also came cross this http://www.cityam.com/207396/six-cities-grew-faster-london-last-decade

5 out of the 6 which grew faster than London were London satellite cities, and the the one which wasn't, was Aberdeen.

Many people hold the view that the political classes have abandoned Northern England but the amount of money pumped into regeneration projects in the north, refutes this.

My theory for the lack of northern growth is that companies prefer to be based in and around London. Also people who can afford to will generally choose to live in the South. Are there any solutions to this problem or do you think the North South divide will continue for years to come?

I don't see any sign of this. Many of my friends (and myself) could move to the South if we wanted to. But why would we?

The one reason you might is if the only well paid job you can find is in the South! But that's not a desire to live there, that's circular, the jobs are there because the companies are there, and the companies are there because they perceive a better market, or a better supply of employee's or something.

Think youll find the very dark area covers the City and the surrounding areas are all supporting it becaise they are areas within easy commuting distance.

London would only be dominating the UK economy if there wasn't similar dark areas all over the country. Sheffield isn't a dark area but it still outperforms (outer London East and North and outer London South).

Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen outperform all the areas surrounding inner London. Manchester, Leeds, Cheshire, Bristol, Nottingham, Derby, York, are about equal to most of the dark area surrounding London.

Most of the country outperforms (outer London East and North)

If there is a link it would raise questions over how Labour run their councils and attract businesses.

Especially if there was no significant upturn in the performance of Labour councils when there was a Labour government.

If there was even a correlation it would just demonstrate that you don't know the difference between correlation and causation.

---------- Post added 02-11-2015 at 09:09 ----------

Not according to this.

What exactly is GVA? Because that's what the map shows.

If there was even a correlation it would just demonstrate that you don't know the difference between correlation and causation.

---------- Post added 02-11-2015 at 09:09 ----------

What exactly is GVA? Because that's what the map shows.

Gross value added (GVA) is the measure of the value of goods and services produced in an area, industry or sector of an economy.

So a few exceptions outside London, but heavily London weighted.

So a few exceptions outside London, but heavily London weighted.

No, there are plenty of exceptions outside London with most of the country outperforming a very large chunk of London.