Autumn Leaf Clearing?

We have just moved to Sheffield this year and wondering if the council ever collect all the leaves up. I know its a big task in this leafy city but thought there woild be some leaf collecting programme and maybe a site where leaf mulch could be purchased for garden compost etc.

Other than the leaves and litter lying around on pavements being unsightly they are also dangerously slippy underfoot. Whats worse, I happened to spot a rat the other night nustling in behind a Telecoms box with a nice leaf nesting site in between the back of the box and the wall behind. This was in Broomhill. I've looked on the Council Website for any mention of leaf collecting and can't find anything??

I've only ever seen it via official cleaner routes. (the clean up machines). Otherwise I haven't ever seen it happen.

No they'll freeze over the winter and in places will still be there in spring.

MerseyMan64 ............. this is Sheffield council, are you joking ? !!!

Loads of us do it ourselves, and have for generations. Fresh air and exercise.

We shouldn't expect the council to do it.

I bet if you're outside sweeping / raking up you'll get to meet people you wouldn't usually talk to.

Much worse than rats, in fact the worst thing of all, is the dog doo doo hiding under the leaves ! You will find in time that Sheffield is a shocking city when it comes to dog owners not picking up after their pets :-( Such a huge health hazard ! I have already been "gotchaed" last week !

Even a microgram of dog doo is like mustard gas to get rid of , in fact why dont the military use it !!

---------- Post added 31-10-2015 at 16:59 ----------

sheffield council do clean up on some busy streets , eventually later in November, the trick is to push all your leaves from your front path out to the road in a pile and they will take them, otherwise they wont go onto your front path to clean them up !

I bet if you're outside sweeping / raking up you'll get to meet people you wouldn't usually talk to.

Youre right there Jon26, I've been doing it every saturday morning for the last 4 weeks, most folk look at me Like I'm an alien though, have to say. I've been clearing the road and gutters too!

I have seen the council cleaning leaves up in hangingwater/Fulwood area of Sheffield, coincidence that it is N Cleggs are of town?

Sounds like the best idea.

Otherwise it would be the responsibility of AMEY surely? They're responsible for streets now.

I have seen the council cleaning leaves up in hangingwater/Fulwood area of Sheffield, coincidence that it is N Cleggs are of town?

Why would it not be a coincidence? The council is Labour-run and Clegg is a Lib-Dem.

Most on our street do - there are a few big trees and it's steep in places. If the leaves weren't cleared it'd be quite dangerous. Trouble is there's too many leaves to fit in the bins, especially with collections being only every fortnight.

....... I'd bet it quickly becomes obvious why you wouldn't usually talk to em:suspect:

---------- Post added 31-10-2015 at 19:16 ----------

Youre right there Jon26, I've been doing it every saturday morning for the last 4 weeks, most folk look at me Like I'm an alien though, have to say. I've been clearing the road and gutters too!

They're not looking at you like an alien they're probably just wondering how you got your g4s tag off.:suspect: