The Sheffield Star Newspaper (paper version)

On 11/22/2018 at 10:46 AM, bendix said:

It's like they're taking the **** now.  They have just given up.  Ben Green, hang your head in shame.

I think we should also doff our cap to the “excellent” photograph that accompanies this hard hitting slice of journalism. 

Honestly, why bother.

11 hours ago, rudds1 said:

The star when at York street used to print around 250k copies every day when it had 2 editions ,since moving to dinnington those figures dropped off .

the main two reasons would be 

1 the older generation has died off 

2  most papers are now online which the younger generation now download 

if the star was to go back to being an evening paper that could help its struggling sales 

Incorrect 

The Star had a midday edition then printed a Chesterfield Barnsley Rotherham Doncaster then stopped for Afternoon edition before finally doing a late night final

I've  just been reading bits in the Star while waiting in a waiting room today, I couldn't believe how rubbish it is today.

I checked the price of it and it said 83p, daylight robbery .I stopped getting the Star delivered many years ago because it wasn't  worth its  money but it's even worse now.

All of the good staff have slowly left, it's the same at all Johnston Press papers. The papers have become thinner with less content just to budget constraints, with more ads to make up the shortfall. They're essentially milking what they can out of their properties as they head toward extinction.

Cities lucky enough to have a Reach (formerly Trinity Mirror) owned newspaper are faring slightly better, they still do a lot of nonsense viral content, but they seem to be keeping up standards a bit more - for now. Unfortunately, Yorkshire is very Johnston Press dominated.

I'm not sure what the future of local news is, whether it's Facebook pages which report dubious stuff or independent sites, or if the BBC will have to take up more of it in the long-term, but certainly the lost of journalistic standards will be the big problem. Journalists, for all of their faults, do usually adhere to a code of ethics and check that information is reliable, which Facebook pages simply don't.

Edited by kaaalie

9 hours ago, kaaalie said:

All of the good staff have slowly left, it's the same at all Johnston Press papers. The papers have become thinner with less content just to budget constraints, with more ads to make up the shortfall. They're essentially milking what they can out of their properties as they head toward extinction.

Cities lucky enough to have a Reach (formerly Trinity Mirror) owned newspaper are faring slightly better, they still do a lot of nonsense viral content, but they seem to be keeping up standards a bit more - for now. Unfortunately, Yorkshire is very Johnston Press dominated.

I'm not sure what the future of local news is, whether it's Facebook pages which report dubious stuff or independent sites, or if the BBC will have to take up more of it in the long-term, but certainly the lost of journalistic standards will be the big problem. Journalists, for all of their faults, do usually adhere to a code of ethics and check that information is reliable, which Facebook pages simply don't.

This is such a shame.  

They would do themselves a big favour if they gave people unlimited access to online articles during this crisis.  People would be thankful.

19 minutes ago, Lex Luthor said:

This is such a shame.  

They would do themselves a big favour if they gave people unlimited access to online articles during this crisis.  People would be thankful.

Totally agree.

A piece from today;s  comic about gangs of youths including a 2 year old, on a playing field , using bad language@-

“My neighbours have a two-year-old and you can’t sit in your garden because their language is atrocious.”

On 10/04/2020 at 09:05, Lex Luthor said:

This is such a shame.  

This is a big part of the problem.

People now seem to expect journalism for free.

Problem with the Star is they tend to report things that appeared on Facebook a couple of days earlier.

I like the star,get it delivered ,get a big discount and ring up and renew for best price 4 times per year and pay inc del £2.50-£3 per week,pay monthly and my driver says business re-delivery is buoyant since the virus,but I think mon-sat delivered all weathers 50p a day ish is good value,i know its not like the old days,but I enjoy its reading matter.

On 10/04/2020 at 09:05, Lex Luthor said:

This is such a shame.  

You can view as many articles as you like for free by using "Incognito Mode" on your web browser. It's easy to do in Google Chrome, I assume other browsers have a similar feature...