The Sheffield Star Newspaper (paper version)

The world has changed dramatically and the paper boys of 60 years ago wouldn't believe it. Then most houses in the suburb where I lived had a morning paper delivered and an evening paper. Quite a few houses would get 2 papers in the morning, a local and national and they'd have them as soon after 7 as possible.

We're one of a small number of houses on our road still having a paper delivered. The Star's quality seems lower than either the morning Journal or evening Chronicle in Newcastle

I wonder if going down the free paper route would work for The Star.

The Evening Standard in London since 2009 and the Manchester Evening News more recently have bucked that trend. Metro seems to shift copies in a morning too.

and a virtually unreadable online presence

Not just me then?

I don't open links to the Star in SF posts as not only are they unreadable and incredibly slow but they usually crash my browser too!

That is on both an iPad running iOS on fast broadband and an Android phone on 4G so less likely to be my devices or internet connection. :suspect:

Well if any more evidence was needed as to why Johnston Press are going under. You just need to read this high quality journalism. Well I felt really well informed after reading this.

Thanks a lot.

I clicked that link and was spammed with a full page advert :mad:

On 11/17/2018 at 3:50 PM, woodmally said:

Well if any more evidence was needed as to why Johnston Press are going under. You just need to read this high quality journalism. Well I felt really well informed after reading this.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/police-spotted-in-sheffield-city-centre-home-were-carrying-out-enquiries-as-part-of-ongoing-investigation-1-9068734?fbclid=IwAR2pRJ8r9H6thv0o3aKMbYo8UkaqiY3LDkIUrnacATpZNsX8RoUElm-YWFY

Thats quite a scoop ?

I am supposed to receive  tokens in the post by paying up front non have arrived so its goodby Star.

It's like they're taking the **** now.  They have just given up.  Ben Green, hang your head in shame.

If they set up a paid account that got rid of all the advertising I would sign up for £5/month. They should check the spelling, grammar and facts before releasing articles though as they are poor sometimes.

Just a reminder that this thread is actually about the PAPER version of the Star. Theres another thread discussing the Star online.

Thank you. 

I looked at the most recent financials of Johnson and they have a precarious amount of debt. Many different regional newspapers come under the banner of Johnson. I think to survive L.T., the Star will need to be separated out from the Johnson Group and bought separately . The Sheffield Star has an advantage in that many of the newspapers in the Group are "Small time local" newspapers with a major challenges as a stand alone.

In contrast, The Star per se has a potential 500K people in Sheffield and  another 500K  in and around south Yorkshire. If they got the right product/ingredients together for the Star, and drew 7.5% of this circulation potential, ie. 75,000 people, would investors be able to make things work when advertising revenue is added  ? 

Edited by glennpickard
missed one word

On 23 November 2018 at 7:59 PM, glennpickard said:

I looked at the most recent financials of Johnson and they have a precarious amount of debt. Many different regional newspapers come under the banner of Johnson. I think to survive L.T., the Star will need to be separated out from the Johnson Group and bought separately . The Sheffield Star has an advantage in that many of the newspapers in the Group are "Small time local" newspapers with a major challenges as a stand alone.

In contrast, The Star per se has a potential 500K people in Sheffield and  another 500K  in and around south Yorkshire. If they got the right product/ingredients together for the Star, and drew 7.5% of this circulation potential, ie. 75,000 people, would investors be able to make things work when advertising revenue is added  ? 

The star when at York street used to print around 250k copies every day when it had 2 editions ,since moving to dinnington those figures dropped off .

the main two reasons would be 

1 the older generation has died off 

2  most papers are now online which the younger generation now download 

if the star was to go back to being an evening paper that could help its struggling sales