The Sheffield Star Newspaper (paper version)

What also did not help Johnston press is when they used to print the sun at dinnington every time it was printed late they used to incur fines which was a lot of the time until they lost the contract to print it there

Johnston Press, the owner of the i newspaper / Yorkshire Post / Scotsman, has put itself into administration and declared that there is "no longer any value" in its shares as it can't repay its debts.

Also took over the I newspaper about 2 years ago.

Sadly I think there is now little demand for a local paper, the internet has free news almost instantly.

The only benefit I can see of a paper is quality of journalism and there is certainly little of that in the Star most of it is just story's copied from elsewhere (often here)

The Yorkshire post is slightly better in this respect, some of the tree scandal stories they publish showed great journalism.

What also did not help Johnston press is when they used to print the sun at dinnington every time it was printed late they used to incur fines which was a lot of the time until they lost the contract to print it there

very rarely printed late as i work there .reason for not printing the sun any more was the Millie Downing scandal where as people voted with not buying the paper thus news of the world folded dropping circulations so news internaional was able to print at there own sites due to dwindling sales figures

THEY PAID J PRESS 30 million in breach of contract???

Sadly I think there is now little demand for a local paper, the internet has free news almost instantly.

The only benefit I can see of a paper is quality of journalism and there is certainly little of that in the Star most of it is just story's copied from elsewhere (often here)

The Yorkshire post is slightly better in this respect, some of the tree scandal stories they publish showed great journalism.

Well if any more evidence was needed as to why Johnston Press are going under. You just need to read this high quality journalism. Well I felt really well informed after reading this.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/police-spotted-in-sheffield-city-centre-home-were-carrying-out-enquiries-as-part-of-ongoing-investigation-1-9068734?fbclid=IwAR2pRJ8r9H6thv0o3aKMbYo8UkaqiY3LDkIUrnacATpZNsX8RoUElm-YWFY

Well if any more evidence was needed as to why Johnston Press are going under. You just need to read this high quality journalism. Well I felt really well informed after reading this.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/police-spotted-in-sheffield-city-centre-home-were-carrying-out-enquiries-as-part-of-ongoing-investigation-1-9068734?fbclid=IwAR2pRJ8r9H6thv0o3aKMbYo8UkaqiY3LDkIUrnacATpZNsX8RoUElm-YWFY

Quality isn't it..... poor standards of journalism coupled with high advertising rates and a virtually unreadable online presence in a modern world have brought it all about.

Whatever next "Police car and forensic van seen in car park next to police station" ?

johnston press has been taken over by JP Media

johnston press has been taken over by JP Media

Is this a Phoenix from the ashes style of internal takeover? I hope it’s not the sort where creditors lose out.

The print newspaper business is a tough slog today, competing with the internet.

But I don't see a real reason for the Star to close down. I started buying it 55 years ago and it was never a top flight newspaper, with the country's best journalists driving it. But can it be a survivor ?

However it was from Sheffield not London which should be of interest to Sheffielders, if the owners could get the content/price right. Agree local news stories alone vs national/international news is a challenge.

To survive I suggest the Star must include both, on a timely basis. Include a good combination of local, national, and international news out on a timely basis, with the best proof readers they can find relative to grammar, timing, layout etc.

And yes they will have to tie into Reuters etc to get the non local news quickly, which will cost money. If they did that, my estimate is that Sheffield/south Yorkshire people people would buy the product in increasing numbers, if the paper and its advertising are priced reasonably. And probably South Yorkshire investors would need to be searched for to go to the next level.

Should it be a morning or afternoon paper is another question.

The print newspaper business is a tough slog today, competing with the internet.

But I don't see a real reason for the Star to close down. I started buying it 55 years ago and it was never a top flight newspaper, with the country's best journalists driving it. But can it be a survivor ?

However it was from Sheffield not London which should be of interest to Sheffielders, if the owners could get the content/price right. Agree local news stories alone vs national/international news is a challenge.

To survive I suggest the Star must include both, on a timely basis. Include a good combination of local, national, and international news out on a timely basis, with the best proof readers they can find relative to grammar, timing, layout etc.

And yes they will have to tie into Reuters etc to get the non local news quickly, which will cost money. If they did that, my estimate is that Sheffield/south Yorkshire people people would buy the product in increasing numbers, if the paper and its advertising are priced reasonably. And probably South Yorkshire investors would need to be searched for to go to the next level.

Should it be a morning or afternoon paper is another question.

Said with some empathy.

The Sheffield Star is Dead.

The writing was on the placards when it went to a morning paper..... as an evening paper people would pick it up whilst rushing home at night and read it.

Our company used to send someone out for copies mid afternoon so they could take it home with them.

Now that's gone we switch on our phones and check social media.

The writing was on the placards when it went to a morning paper..... as an evening paper people would pick it up whilst rushing home at night and read it.

Our company used to send someone out for copies mid afternoon so they could take it home with them.

Now that's gone we switch on our phones and check social media.

Yes thats what most people at work do just check the net/social media, its free and realtime.

If the quality of journalism is not their or it does not have loads of exclusive content then there is little point in paying for it.