Sheffield Bus Changes

are you happy with changes to buses?  

201 members have voted

1. 1. are you happy with changes to buses?

• Yes
    • No
    • Doesn't affect me
    • Still figuring it out

As someone who remembers the service we had in the 70's when we probably had the best,all be it heavily subsidised bus network in the country its sad to see it slowly detiriate to what it is today ,barley fit for purpose.

As someone who remembers the service we had in the 70's when we probably had the best,all be it heavily subsidised bus network in the country its sad to see it slowly detiriate to what it is today ,barley fit for purpose.

Interestingly where I live at Bradway we have a better service now than in the 1970s (I have an old Sypte timetable book from my year of birth, 1976!)

Mon-fri day was 75 every 20 mins, now 25 every 12 mins

Sat day was 75 every 20 mins, now 25 every 15 mins

Sun day was 75 every 30 mins, now 24/25 every 15 mins

Evenings was 75 every 30 mins, now 24/25 every 30 mins

Last bus from town was 23:09, now 23:32

What's missing now though are night buses, peak extras and services up to Holmesfield and Dronfield. On the other hand the M17 to Dore didn't exist back then.

Ok from memory the service where I lived at Ecclesall (near the terminus) was 50 from Dore every half hour,81 or 82 every half hour the 83 and 84 at similar intervals also had number 3 and 4 going every half hour.then we had the 272 and 240 from the peaks also the 2 and 59 were a short walk.

They were also quite new buses not the ancient ones first send up there nowadays!

Edited by Fudbeer

Interestingly where I live at Bradway we have a better service now than in the 1970s (I have an old Sypte timetable book from my year of birth, 1976!)

Mon-fri day was 75 every 20 mins, now 25 every 12 mins

Sat day was 75 every 20 mins, now 25 every 15 mins

Sun day was 75 every 30 mins, now 24/25 every 15 mins

Evenings was 75 every 30 mins, now 24/25 every 30 mins

Last bus from town was 23:09, now 23:32

What's missing now though are night buses, peak extras and services up to Holmesfield and Dronfield. On the other hand the M17 to Dore didn't exist back then.

Hey Andy,

Fellow Bradway resident here. The wife's car is kaput today so she used mine and I had to take public transport. I was pondering out loud "Bus or train?" when the she said "Go on, take the bus, see how the new changes are working out." So I trotted off to the Mother Redcap.

There were a few people waiting and I asked one when the next bus was due. the response was a litany of complaint about the buses being late and often not turning up at all. Plus the longer journey time. I looked at my watch and realised I could still catch the train from Dore if I got a move on, so I made my apologies and scarpered.

The people who were complaining didn't look like serial whingers to me. They came across as middle-aged professionals - might even have been you Andy!

Hopefully it'll settle down soon, but I was a little concerned by what they said. Looks like I'll be walking up and down Twentywell until things become a little more reliable!

Hey Andy,

Fellow Bradway resident here. The wife's car is kaput today so she used mine and I had to take public transport. I was pondering out loud "Bus or train?" when the she said "Go on, take the bus, see how the new changes are working out." So I trotted off to the Mother Redcap.

There were a few people waiting and I asked one when the next bus was due. the response was a litany of complaint about the buses being late and often not turning up at all. Plus the longer journey time. I looked at my watch and realised I could still catch the train from Dore if I got a move on, so I made my apologies and scarpered.

The people who were complaining didn't look like serial whingers to me. They came across as middle-aged professionals - might even have been you Andy!

Hopefully it'll settle down soon, but I was a little concerned by what they said. Looks like I'll be walking up and down Twentywell until things become a little more reliable!

The 25 is operating perfect evenings and Sundays, morning peak is very hit and miss - some days they run fine, other days they are all over the place - none are missing, just late, which to be fair I think has been down to the state of the traffic coupled with the fact they are busier than before.

This morning I wasn't ready in time for the train, the buses: 08:06 departed at 08:16, the 08:18 departed at 08:29 and the 08:30 departed on time. Rather frustratingly the 08:30 turned up in the terminus before the 08:18 so everyone got on that only to see the delayed 08:18 they thought they had boarded go whizzing past without pulling in! That said the 08:30 still got to town first anyway.

I prefer the train to the bus anyway, I did so before the changes. Bit of a walk down to Dore, train can normally be relied upon to turn up roughly on time then its a 10 minute non-stop ride into town! The train fare is quite reasonable too!

Edited by Andy C

Andy any idea why so many of the next bus times are showing scheduled rather than real time for instance at present all the 86 times are scheduled surely the changes should not effect that or is there a bit of manipulating the figures going on?

Andy any idea why so many of the next bus times are showing scheduled rather than real time for instance at present all the 86 times are scheduled surely the changes should not effect that or is there a bit of manipulating the figures going on?

First have Tweeted that they have technical problems on board the buses causing the trackers not to work correctly, that seems to suggest the new route codes haven't been programmed correctly.

First have Tweeted that they have technical problems on board the buses causing the trackers not to work correctly, that seems to suggest the new route codes haven't been programmed correctly.

Thanks for that.

I wasn't especially unhappy when I heard about the changes. Living in the north, it didn't seem too bad to me. A bus every six minutes. Seemed OK. I couldn't have accounted for the whole idea being put together by people who at best don't have an understanding of the service and the customers, or worse, seemingly despise them.

I am absolutely fed to the back teeth of waiting interminable lengths of time only for a single decker bus to show up rammed, leaving paying customers constantly having to stand up. And many people are taking this out on each other instead of blaming the companies involved. Coming home from town the queues for the 1/1a are just unbelievable. It used to be that a bus got into town from the other end and people alighted, leaving room for new passengers. But in the brave new "joined up services" world, this now means more people crammed onto fewer services going farther distances. It doesn't matter which shift I'm on, the journey either to work or coming home is a horrific experience.

It seems to me too that there are way too many different services accessing Barnsley Road. The beauty of the 87 service was it avoiding this traffic hotspot going into Burngreave. Better for customers, drivers and the service generally. Now, Barnsley road is a constant crawl no matter what time you hit it. It seems the north, yet again, pays the price but doesn't get the service.

I'll happily pay more to have the old 87 back. It might be pointless, but I'm signing the petition. Gotta do something.

I miss the 87 too.

Bypassing Woodseats on my long journey from NGH to Sheffield 8 was always a bonus.:(

I have to agree about the 87.

It has provided a very good service and useful route since it was introduced a few years back.