Sheffield Bus Changes

are you happy with changes to buses?  

201 members have voted

1. 1. are you happy with changes to buses?

• Yes
    • No
    • Doesn't affect me
    • Still figuring it out

The bus I used to catch (85) seems to have been replaced by a 'school bus' (which everyone can use as normal), the 785 which doesn't actually pick up any schoolchildren, because it is too early, and it doesn't appear on the printed timetable at the bus stop :huh:

The bus I used to catch (85) seems to have been replaced by a 'school bus' (which everyone can use as normal), the 785 which doesn't actually pick up any schoolchildren, because it is too early, and it doesn't appear on the printed timetable at the bus stop :huh:

School buses aren't advertised on public timetables.

It is incorporated onto the online timetable on the First website though. The 85 runs from Chancet Wood, the 785 runs from King Egberts School at Totley Brook. http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/south_yorkshire/journey_planning/timetables/timetable.php?day=1&source_id=2&service=85/785&routeid=13582191&operator=26&source=sp

---------- Post added 04-11-2015 at 12:39 ----------

So far this week, the vast majority of First buses are only showing a 24hr time on the real time stop info for my stops, suggesting that there's either a problem with the trackers or they've been "switched off" for some reason. Stagecoach buses are still showing "minutes due", so their trackers are obviously working OK. Anyone know anything about this?

Was working for the 97 bus to Dore station this morning

next bus been intermittent crashed totally last night

Few gremlins to sort but a great system when it works I bookmark main stops in phone the first app which shows same info and for all operators is free

The 97 service to Totley used to run double deckers every 30 mins (in theory) on Sundays...as of this Sunday it's now a single decker every 60 mins - total pants. The buses both ways were totally overcrowded and uncomfortable. It's putting me off going out on Sundays as a result. Why discourage passenger spending First?

---------- Post added 04-11-2015 at 11:27 ----------

[/color]

Bus lanes are important to a reliable bus service in they keep journey times consistent.

They also help other traffic on the road by keeping buses that stop at regular intervals away from the other traffic, so the other traffic doesn't get stuck behind the buses when they stop.

If those lanes weren't bus lanes, they would probably be simply full of parked cars instead.

They seem to be working well this week from everything I've read on this thread :)

If they put double yellows down them (or even single yellows for those that only need to be free from 7.30 until 9.30) then there wouldn't be the issue of parked cars and I think you would find that all the traffic would flow more quickly.

I have to say that so far I am happy with the changes, can now get a bus in most places in town and not have to sit on roads with no bus lanes .... my bus was the 70 and is replaced by the 81 and 181. Bus home yesterday was packed full, which is different from normal and I guess that is what is wanted, people to use them, however this is just my own findings and it looks like not everything else is working as well as this route (so far) As far as bus lanes go, when you don't have them and you are on a bus you would wish you had!

Leaflets to every house? - I didn't get anything - the first I knew of the changes was the thread on here that listed them all...

And I have to say, what about all those disabled people who can't see properly to read said info...

And LOTS of people who used to be able to catch one bus from A to B, now have to get two or more, and lots of routes stop at 9:45 at night, when some people don't finish work etc till 10pm..

There's a LOT of issues, and headaches caused by all this! :S

Was working for the 97 bus to Dore station this morning

Actually, I was wrong, it's not First v Stagecoach, it now seems to be working for 'old' route numbers e.g. 75 and not for 'new' numbers e.g. 24. Or maybe the new routes are so far adrift of the expected timetable that the system can't make head or tale of when it's actually expected and just reverts to displaying the timetable.

Its in the network map leaflet, last page: http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/...busnetworkmap/

I'm not interested if it's listed somewhere else. My complaint is that it isn't listed in each timetable pdf as well. That is the logical place to include information for me, saving one from having to make two downloads of leaflets. It's called user experience or UX.

Stop CG18 marked on the travel SY map doesn't actually exist on the ground. Glad I'm back on my bike today.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Buses have been changed in Sheffield an the Public & Drivers are so Confused on which way the Buses are Going Now,Why did the Changes need to be done so much,when the public and the Drivers have been so use to the Times and Routes,Instead of helping the public get about Sheffield,there just making harder to get around to easy,plus the Late buses are making people getting home a lot later from Work,even some Drivers do not the Times and Correct Routes they are going,and with the Public asking the Drivers All the Time which way the buses are going its going to delay the buses more

The 97 service to Totley used to run double deckers every 30 mins (in theory) on Sundays...as of this Sunday it's now a single decker every 60 mins - total pants. The buses both ways were totally overcrowded and uncomfortable. It's putting me off going out on Sundays as a result. Why discourage passenger spending First?

The TM Travel 218 also provides a service from Totley into the City Centre, every 30 minutes Monday to Saturday and hourly on Sundays, alongside the 97.

218 timetable: http://www.derbysbus.info/times/timetables/218M-151025.pdf

97/98 timetable: http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=17179873332

The new Citybus ticket is valid on both.

---------- Post added 04-11-2015 at 17:41 ----------

Buses have been changed in Sheffield an the Public & Drivers are so Confused on which way the Buses are Going Now,Why did the Changes need to be done so much,when the public and the Drivers have been so use to the Times and Routes,Instead of helping the public get about Sheffield,there just making harder to get around to easy,plus the Late buses are making people getting home a lot later from Work,even some Drivers do not the Times and Correct Routes they are going,and with the Public asking the Drivers All the Time which way the buses are going its going to delay the buses more

Politics is probably the simple answer.

It doesn't help that much of the implementation has been a shambles, although it has to be said some areas have been better than others.

Edited by Andy C

Well for the few days it has been running the "New and improved" bus service is a total shambles. Every single person I have talked to about it have reacted negatively. Journeys that used to be 1 bus ride can now take at least twice as long because of having to change buses. People are being late for work and then can't get a bus home later on. A hell of a lot of older people are very confused and disgusted and I don't blame them. I always lived by the saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Going to be interesting to see how long before certain routed are cancelled altogether.

As I mentioned in a previous post, the elderly people that live on Chancet wood haven't got the bus service they need and deserve. Having to change buses just to get to the doctors is stupid. Having to walk round to meadowhead is out of the question for a lot of them, they shouldn't have to.