Sheffield Bus Changes

are you happy with changes to buses?  

201 members have voted

1. 1. are you happy with changes to buses?

• Yes
    • No
    • Doesn't affect me
    • Still figuring it out

One easy win for me would be to include info about what bus stops to use in the city centre in timetable pdf leaflets. Just had a bit of a do trying to find out where 20 to Hemsworth stops on Wicker/Waingate. Think it's CG18 but not completely sure.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Its in the network map leaflet, last page: http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/southsheffieldbusnetworkmap/

Life seemed much easier before this major bus change. I used to have a seat and didn't have to wait more than 5-6 minutes for a bus at 9am to take me from Abbeydale Road to the bottom of London Road. Guess I'm lucky I got on the bus at all because people two stops down waved at a bus that didn't stop being packed already.

If my son missed his bus before he only had to wait 10 minutes for the next one, instead of over half an hour, unless he walked 10 minutes up the road to a stop that has a different bus. It's not the end of the world, but like I said, life was easier before this change.

Life seemed much easier before this major bus change. I used to have a seat and didn't have to wait more than 5-6 minutes for a bus at 9am to take me from Abbeydale Road to the bottom of London Road. Guess I'm lucky I got on the bus at all because people two stops down waved at a bus that didn't stop being packed already.

If my son missed his bus before he only had to wait 10 minutes for the next one, instead of over half an hour, unless he walked 10 minutes up the road to a stop that has a different bus. It's not the end of the world, but like I said, life was easier before this change.

Being private enterprises, bus companies are more interested in making more money rather than what's best for travellers. A few people I know now have to catch two buses to their destination rather than just one as before.

I think the new single deckers are now the allocation for the 97/98.

It may settle down if people start buying the new Citybus tickets and get on the first available bus rather than letting other buses go in favour of the 97/98 - from Totley there is also the TM Travel 218, from Archer Road there is also the First 85 and Stagecoach 86, from Woodseats Road bottom there is then also the 75/76.

You seem to know a lot about the bus timings and routes, but for the past 2 days I've waited on Abbeydale Road to get on ANY bus ANY operator going to London Road, it was chaotic with all buses arriving packed when they finally arrive..

---------- Post added 03-11-2015 at 18:33 ----------

use this link to comment on recent changes h

http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/south_yorkshire/help_contact/contact_us/

I think the new single deckers are now the allocation for the 97/98.

It may settle down if people start buying the new Citybus tickets and get on the first available bus rather than letting other buses go in favour of the 97/98 - from Totley there is also the TM Travel 218, from Archer Road there is also the First 85 and Stagecoach 86, from Woodseats Road bottom there is then also the 75/76.

You seem to know a lot about the bus timings and routes, but for the past 2 days I've waited on Abbeydale Road to get on ANY bus ANY operator going to London Road, it was chaotic with all buses arriving packed when they finally arrive..

---------- Post added 03-11-2015 at 18:33 ----------

use this link to comment on recent changes h

http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/south_yorkshire/help_contact/contact_us/

In reply to dnairn

This has been my experience a lots of very full buses.

Yesterday at non peak time the 97 was packed and going past stops not stopping.

Not surprising really when you consider that there are less busses ,the 87 alone used to send 6 buses an hour down there even counting the 85 and 86 thats 2 buses an hour less the 97 and 98 were nearly always double deckers are now both single deckers as are some of the 75's big cut in capacity.

Edited by Fudbeer

There is no doubt this change has gone horribly wrong.

Not met anybody who is happy about it.

There is no doubt this change has gone horribly wrong.

Not met anybody who is happy about it.

I'm happy about it.....mainly because I haven't caught a bus and joined the pantomime

The bottom line is its all been about cutting services and saving money.

I think it was Andy that pointed out that First and Stagecoach dont make money in Sheffield and they are private companys so there main objective is to make money for shareholders.

They have tried to be clever and disguise these cuts by saying they are improving things but they have shot themselves in the foot they would have been much better being honest and calling it what it is ie mostly cuts in service BUT with a reduction in the price of multi operator tickets.

Edited by Fudbeer

Well my friend can no longer get home after her nightshift due to the changes. Half of the buses just don't run as late. She can get into town but not a single bus later than 11:15pm to get home any more. Before there was a direct service and it ran after 11:30pm.

Well my friend can no longer get home after her nightshift due to the changes. Half of the buses just don't run as late. She can get into town but not a single bus later than 11:15pm to get home any more. Before there was a direct service and it ran after 11:30pm.

Yes there has been a massive cut in late services even early evening buses are reduced by 50% where I live and last bus is over an hour earlier again I suspect because they are not profitable they have gone.

I hate the 83/83a we have. It goes no where I need to go. The old 97/98/35/36 was a fantastic service. It was first with missing bus that let it down. We have now got along with first company, stagecoach for the first time on our route, and they was on time just fine. I don't need to go to pitsmore but the bus now does and no longer runs along burngreave/wicker like the 83/a used to do,and that is one area i need. No closer to herries road entrance to the hospital like before when you have a wheelchair to push. Getting to meadowhall,firthpark I use to get outside my house.so we got the 38 from herries road to meadow hall only for that to change route. Night shift now will be a taxi due to not been able to get the last bus home in time. My route before no matter where I wanted was one bus. My daughter lives in s12 works at yewlane,she use to get one into town then the 98/97 to outside the school she works.last night she and others waited an hour for a bus home has two first buses was missing. I have to say first Company was rude,stagecoach was fantastic in helping people. First drivers that dint know stuff.yet they expect the public to know. Half of the information given was confusing,the map given out made no sense to many with no street names.

Edited by dieselbabe

Perfect example of what happens when a public service becomes fully privatised and driven by profit rather than public need. Bottom line is these services are a major factor in driving the economy of the city. These changes are bad for Sheffield.