Five guys burger bar -meadowhall

Went here last night so thought that as it doesn't have its own thread yet I'd start one and write a review.

From walking in, the place doesn't look particularly special, just a plain burger bar with no interesting decor. Compared to Eds Diners cool 50's look it's a let down.

The menu is very plain. As expected, burgers, hotdogs, fries and soft drinks are available but with no other options at all. They have a selection of sauces, pickles, and fillings which are available so that you can build your own perfect burger.

It didn't seem too busy, with only three couples in front of us, but we had to wait 20 minutes for the food which was disappointing.

There is a seating area in the restaurant but we ended up sitting in the middle of the food hall as there wasn't any tables free.

They have free refills on soft drinks which was great, and over 200 different drinks to choose from! This was really popular with all the customers, and some of the flavours were amazing (fanta and grape anyone?)

The prices were eye-watering. About £14-15 for a burger and large chips. There were cheaper options available, but they were still expensive, especially as you're eating out of wrappers, paper cups and no table service.

Staff were polite and friendly.

The review may seem negative but to balance it out the burgers were amazing. I mean really amazing. Perfectly cooked, very good quality beef, juicy, mouthwatering foil wrappers of joy. I've never tasted a burger so good in Britain before.

The fries were also glorious. They come with a Cajun flavouring and they were fabulous. They were too salty for my wife's tastes but if you're a burger and fries type person I'm sure you'll love them.

I don't think I could justify going there regularly as I was very frustrated with all the negative points, but I don't think I could go without ever tasting those burgers again lol

Edited by trackside
Pressed submit by accident

Went here last night so thought that as it doesn't have its own thread yet I'd start one and write a review.

From walking in, the place doesn't look particularly special, just a plain burger bar with no interesting decor. Compared to Eds Diners cool 50's look it's a let down.

The menu is very plain. As expected, burgers, hotdogs, fries and soft drinks are available but with no other options at all. They have a selection of sauces, pickles, and fillings which are available so that you can build your own perfect burger.

It didn't seem too busy, with only three couples in front of us, but we had to wait 20 minutes for the food which was disappointing.

There is a seating area in the restaurant but we ended up sitting in the middle of the food hall as there wasn't any tables free.

They have free refills on soft drinks which was great, and over 200 different drinks to choose from! This was really popular with all the customers, and some of the flavours were amazing (fanta and grape anyone?)

The prices were eye-watering. About £14-15 for a burger and large chips. There were cheaper options available, but they were still expensive, especially as you're eating out of wrappers, paper cups and no table service.

Staff were polite and friendly.

The review may seem negative but to balance it out the burgers were amazing. I mean really amazing. Perfectly cooked, very good quality beef, juicy, mouthwatering foil wrappers of joy. I've never tasted a burger so good in Britain before.

The fries were also glorious. They come with a Cajun flavouring and they were fabulous. They were too salty for my wife's tastes but if you're a burger and fries type person I'm sure you'll love them.

I don't think I could justify going there regularly as I was very frustrated with all the negative points, but I don't think I could go without ever tasting those burgers again lol

I was going to try this place but it sounds VERY expensive.

Cheeseburger and fries is £ 12 before any extra toppings.:huh:

How do they compare to Twisted Burger? Seems a similar "dirty burger" style.

But TB are £ 7 for a double burger with cheese, choice of sauce and fries.

And are delicious (and a local business).

http://www.theharley.co.uk/wp/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/mixtape-new.jpg

I paid £13.75 for bacon cheeseburger and large fries (I've just looked it up) but smaller burgers are obviously cheaper. Also, extra toppings are free but to be fair I don't consider pickles, sauces, onions etc as extras.

Everyone's tastes are different but I really love burgers, have tried all the recommended burger places in Sheffield (including twisted) and nothing compares to the taste of Five Guys.

I just wish it was either a little cheaper or in a nicer environment.

I can't justify the price to eat in a McDonald's environment.

I went to a branch of this chain in Edinburgh and thought it was the best burger I had ever had outside the States. Yes it's expensive but worth it

I was going to try this place but it sounds VERY expensive.

Cheeseburger and fries is £ 12 before any extra toppings.:huh:

How do they compare to Twisted Burger? Seems a similar "dirty burger" style.

But TB are £ 7 for a double burger with cheese, choice of sauce and fries.

And are delicious (and a local business).

http://www.theharley.co.uk/wp/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/mixtape-new.jpg

Twisted Burger are £7 or £8 for just the burger, fries are extra. Whilst they tick a big dirty box and are enjoyable, the quality of the patty isn't that high.

To some extent you do get what you pay for.

However, it does baffle me that people are willing to pay that sort of money in a chain restaurant for a product that is ok when there are independently run pubs in the City knocking out good quality cooking with good ingredients for much less money.

I've heard their burgers are nice, but can't see how they are worth that much. Same as Nandos. Takeaway food at restaurant prices yet people go wild for it. Power of marketing I guess.

Twisted Burger are £7 or £8 for just the burger, fries are extra. Whilst they tick a big dirty box and are enjoyable, the quality of the patty isn't that high.

The TB special burgers are £ 7 or so but you can get a burger + topping (e.g, cheese) + sauce + fries for £ 5 .

Add a second patty for another £ 2

The other alternative is Urban 1/4. A much "cleaner" burger (!) with a high quality patty , £ 8.50 with fries. (ask for your burger pink though otherwise they now have a tendency to overcook them thanks to the health and safety police)

The TB special burgers are £ 7 or so but you can get a burger + topping (e.g, cheese) + sauce + fries for £ 5 .

Add a second patty for another £ 2

The other alternative is Urban 1/4. A much "cleaner" burger (!) with a high quality patty , £ 8.50 with fries. (ask for your burger pink though otherwise they now have a tendency to overcook them thanks to the health and safety police)

Went to the Urban 1/4 on Sharrowvale Road the other week and was most impressed with the Burger. In fact the best one I have had since going to The Almost Famous in Manchester before the fire a few years ago.

I went to a branch of this chain in Edinburgh and thought it was the best burger I had ever had outside the States. Yes it's expensive but worth it

I tried the Meadowhall branch yesterday and the burger was very very nice, one of the best I've ever had.

If you knew how expensive rents are in Meadowhall then you would understand why the burgers are so expensive.

If you knew how expensive rents are in Meadowhall then you would understand why the burgers are so expensive.

That makes no sense at all. In the Oasis I can get a meal for as little as £3.50. Other restaurants are charging significantly lower prices and are offering table service, cutlery, glasses etc.

Whatever the reason to the premium pricing, the rent will be a small part of it. The other restaurants in meadowhall don't seem to be struggling.

Five Guys will almost definitely (not sure as I haven't checked) have a nationwide pricing structure.

Not been to the one in Meadowhall but the Five Guys in Covent Garden is amazing. People expecting a gourmet burger will be shocked and the price is slightly steep but the burger is one of the best I've had.