Winter weather 2015/2016 Megathread

I know, but the temperature was also not cold until very recently.

True, I tend to fit them when it drops below 10C purely cos my summer tyres need replacing and are rubbish in snow/cold :)

so, do we reckon that's it for proper snow for a while then?

In 40 yrs of driving I have never found it necessary to fit 'winter tyres' to any of my cars! From my observations of how people carry on when driving in snow, it is down to technique, not, I'm afraid sticking some different tyres on the car. If you put premium all weather tyres from a major manufacturer on your car, these so called winter tyres are not necessary. Apart from the odd cold spell as a couple of years ago we don't really have the sort of snowfall that requires 'winter tyres' or snow chains.

In 40 yrs of driving I have never found it necessary to fit 'winter tyres' to any of my cars! From my observations of how people carry on when driving in snow, it is down to technique, not, I'm afraid sticking some different tyres on the car. If you put premium all weather tyres from a major manufacturer on your car, these so called winter tyres are not necessary. Apart from the odd cold spell as a couple of years ago we don't really have the sort of snowfall that requires 'winter tyres' or snow chains.

You are so wrong on this my friend. Winter tyres improve grip, road holding and stopping distances not only on snow but also on wet roads. My winter tyres go on in October and don't come off until March at the earliest. Winter tyres are fantastic and have saved me from a collision a couple of times when I've had to break sharply because of some other idiot.

I'm guessing you've never tried winter tyres have you?

You are so wrong on this my friend. Winter tyres improve grip, road holding and stopping distances not only on snow but also on wet roads. My winter tyres go on in October and don't come off until March at the earliest. Winter tyres are fantastic and have saved me from a collision a couple of times when I've had to break sharply because of some other idiot.

I'm guessing you've never tried winter tyres have you?

Never needed to, I just fit Michelin Primacy and they are fine winter and summer, never had any skidding or scary moments as I drive taking into consideration the prevailing conditions. As I stated earlier, heavy snowfall in this country is a rare event ... if we were talking about Toronto or Anchorage I would consider winter tyres or chains. Its all a bit 'over egging' the pudding fitting winter tyres in a major city.

Never needed to, I just fit Michelin Primacy and they are fine winter and summer, never had any skidding or scary moments as I drive taking into consideration the prevailing conditions. As I stated earlier, heavy snowfall in this country is a rare event ... if we were talking about Toronto or Anchorage I would consider winter tyres or chains. Its all a bit 'over egging' the pudding fitting winter tyres in a major city.

Just to be clear, I have fitted winters to my car for a few years because I used to do a daily commute over either Winnat's or snake pass. In those years I was regularly driving in temperatures of -5C and up to -15C on one occasion. During winter the temperature that I was driving in, early in the morning and late at night, was nearly always below 4C. Added to which I had to dig myself out of a couple of snow drifts in two separate winters. I can assure you that fitting winter tyres for those conditions is not at all over egging the pudding. Having winter tyres made me much safer and more maneuverable with better traction than many of the other cars on the roads during icy/snowy weather.

In 40 yrs of driving I have never found it necessary to fit 'winter tyres' to any of my cars!

Ahh this old argument. Someone who's never tried them trying to say they're pointless. Good argument you've got there, no experience yet trying to judge something :rolleyes:

Also saying winter tyres aren't necessary because we don't get much snow...completely missing the point of them. Let's make this clear shall we winter is not the same word as snow.

Please stop trying to say something is useless until you've tried it.

Depends what car you drive. If it is a rear wheel drive car such as a BMW 3-series you should seriously consider winter tyres. If you drive a car such as a VW Polo with narrower tyres and front wheel drive then you should be fine on standard tyres with careful driving.

Ahh this old argument. Someone who's never tried them trying to say they're pointless. Good argument you've got there, no experience yet trying to judge something :rolleyes:

Also saying winter tyres aren't necessary because we don't get much snow...completely missing the point of them. Let's make this clear shall we winter is not the same word as snow.

Please stop trying to say something is useless until you've tried it.

Gullible, is the word I'm looking for!

The annual SF "winter weather thread gets derailed into an tedious argument about winter tyres" fun has begun.

Anyone got any popcorn?

The annual SF "winter weather thread gets derailed into an tedious argument about winter tyres" fun has begun.

Anyone got any popcorn?

Wish I had:mad:

Anyone want to contribute to the Winter mega thread?

Your Michelin tyres may well be ok for use in winter but they wont offer anywhere near the same grip and therefore stopping power a winter tyre will.

You see winter tyres are not made just for snow, they are made from a different type of rubber that stays softer in cold conditions unlike your all season tyres that are a compromise between grip and wear life which will go hard in cold conditions and offer less grip.

Heres a little link for you to read - maybe try reading it before talking more rubbish.

http://www.blackcircles.com/tyres/winter-tyres/winter-tyre-myths