Old cures of ailments

hiya in my younger days a sore throat, wrap a sweaty sock around your throat,chesty cough,a rub down with potted meight. ha ha

Feed/starve a fever and starve/feed a cold, always seemed to work.

Of, course we had the magic bullets too, Codein, Beechams, Bi-carb and Andrews.

Holding your breath for a minute to stop hiccups

While holding your arms above your head :) I've done this all my life and it never fails in spite of my family's mocking.

In fact our tutor Mary Peddle (1916-1997), bless her, was strictly teetotal. Here she is in the middle of the group photo. I'm easy to spot. :)

I wonder did you remember a blako yates as he delivered me in 1938, or if you heard of him at city general.

Hi willybite - yes, Dr Yates was very highly spoken of by the older members of staff. He had retired by the time I was there but Dr K.J.G. Milne (consultant geriatrician - an Old Edwardian like me :)) told me that there was no finer doctor than Blaco Yates. No doubt he would have had an effective remedy for all the ailments mentioned in this thread. :)

In fact our tutor Mary Peddle (1916-1997), bless her, was strictly teetotal. Here she is in the middle of the group photo. I'm easy to spot. :)

I spotted you straight away Mr.H. the one without a hat and wearing an England or Real Madrid football shirt.

---------- Post added 22-11-2015 at 21:28 ----------

Hi willybite - yes, Dr Yates was very highly spoken of by the older members of staff. He had retired by the time I was there but Dr K.J.G. Milne (consultant geriatrician - an Old Edwardian like me :)) told me that there was no finer doctor than Blaco Yates. No doubt he would have had an effective remedy for all the ailments mentioned in this thread. :)

Was that Doctor, Blaco Yates once a director of Sheffield United ?

He was chairman. In the days before the abolition of the maximum wage he promised the players 'something for a rainy day' if they achieved promotion. Promotion was duly won and on the last day of the season each player was presented with a raincoat. :)

That's a true story. It's in Alan Hodgkinson's autobiography.

He was chairman. In the days before the abolition of the maximum wage he promised the players 'something for a rainy day' if they achieved promotion. Promotion was duly won and on the last day of the season each player was presented with a raincoat. :)

That's a true story. It's in Alan Hodgkinson's autobiography.

Yes Jim I read 'Hodgy's' really good book, and team mate Joe Shaw said he took his (Mac) home put it in the wardrobe and never wore it !

Edited by stpetre
add

A horse hair wrapped around a wart to remove it

I had a wart on the back of my hand and I seem to remember trying to get a hair from the tail of Mr Dickson' s horse

The wart did disappear ,I Don't know if the hair had anything to do with it.

I guess it kind of garrotted ( if that's the word ) the wart

any old cures for baldness if there is I would be a millionaire over night.

if you find one let me know, I like my father and grandfather lost my hair in my early 40s just got a ring round the edges now. tried shaving the lot off but got to cold in bad weather. I would give owt to grow it back. i can't afford to do what wayne rooney did money can buy you anything :help:

hiya in my younger days a sore throat, wrap a sweaty sock around your throat,chesty cough,a rub down with potted meight. ha ha I also had the earwax cure of peroxide, also soak the feet in salt water.

Potted meight? I always thought of that as summat to eight lol ( 7.45 :D )

I spotted you straight away Mr.H. the one without a hat and wearing an England or Real Madrid football shirt.

---------- Post added 22-11-2015 at 21:28 ----------

hiya yes i think he was he delivered me by a section and mum alway told me he had thee biggest hands she had ever seen.