Old cures of ailments

Are there any remedies out there for removing wax from the ear without the need for syringing? Aside from me pushing a cycle pump in the lug!! Deafness sends you bloody crazy!

Are there any remedies out there for removing wax from the ear without the need for syringing? Aside from me pushing a cycle pump in the lug!! Deafness sends you bloody crazy!

I remember having Hydrogen Peroxide ? dripped into my ears when young, you could feel it bubbling away consuming the wax. My Grans cure all was Methylated Spirit, it hurt like hell poured on a cut. Sloans liniment was dabbed (not rubbed) on the soles of our feet for a cold. Mother used to put a couple of drops of Sloans on a sugar cube to suck for sore throats. It's a miracle I made it to 83!

Has anyone used sodium bi card ear drops for softening/ removing ear wax? If so is this any different/ better that olive oil ear drops? I find the olive oil messy! Just wondered which is the best continue olive oil or switch to sodium bi carb drops! Olive oil drops are taking forever and most runs back out!

Has anyone used sodium bi card ear drops for softening/ removing ear wax? If so is this any different/ better that olive oil ear drops? I find the olive oil messy! Just wondered which is the best continue olive oil or switch to sodium bi carb drops! Olive oil drops are taking forever and most runs back out!

Just so long as it does not run out of the other ear, you should be fine lol:D

In 1969 as a student nurse at the Northern General, I remember our sister tutor Mary Peddle telling us firmly that a 5% solution of bicarbonate of soda is better than olive oil. The oil is messy and can make the wax so runny that if you're not careful it can go further into the ear canal.
Just so long as it does not run out of the other ear, you should be fine lol:D
Personally I'd recommend ear floss. :P

That makes sense yes... Tonight I finally get my ear to "pop" then it goes deaf again but when it did clear for all of 10 seconds it sounded like I was inside a crisp bag! Really really strange not like my old hearing at all... Back on the oil

Edited by ka2010

In 1969 as a student nurse at the Northern General, I remember our sister tutor Mary Peddle telling us firmly that a 5% solution of bicarbonate of soda is better than olive oil. The oil is messy and can make the wax so runny that if you're not careful it can go further into the ear canal.Personally I'd recommend ear floss. :P

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

In 1969 as a student nurse at the Northern General, I remember our sister tutor Mary Peddle telling us firmly that a 5% solution of bicarbonate of soda is better than olive oil. The oil is messy and can make the wax so runny that if you're not careful it can go further into the ear canal.Personally I'd recommend ear floss. :P

hiya in my younger days a sore throat, wrap a sweaty sock around your throat,chesty cough,a rub down with potted meight. ha ha I also had the earwax cure of peroxide, also soak the feet in salt water.

Edited by willybite

Any of the amateur doctors know of anything to get rid of sciatica! Very painful! Is it a matter of riding it out? As a 6-8 week waiting list at NHS physios, have been for a private session! The price nearly cured it!!!

Any of the amateur doctors know of anything to get rid of sciatica!...
Either two aspirins or a large whisky. :)

Did you learn that at nursing college!!!..
In fact our tutor Mary Peddle (1916-1997), bless her, was strictly teetotal. Here she is in the middle of the group photo. I'm easy to spot. :)