Headlights Weird Spots Please See Pics

Hi Guys,

I just had my headlights cleaned from local body repair shop, after cleaning the dirt and other stuff gone but some weird spot visible on my headlights, although they were there but after cleaning it seems like they spread more on driver side headlight.

I asked the guy who cleaned the headlights and he said that headlights are very smooth and he cant do more sending and spots are inside not outside of the headlights. The guy used 600 and then 3000 grit wet sanding then buffing.

Before cleaning my driver side headlight was clearer than passenger side and spots were lot less, but after cleaning driver side headlight looks bit blurry and passenger side headlight looks more clearer although spots are visible on both headlights but driver side has lot more spots and due to this it looks blurry.

The spots are more visible when headlights on, please see the pics below and advice me if i can get rid of these spots and they are not inside of the headlight. Thanks

20151025_221311_zpsrbcdkuim.jpg

20151025_221259_zps115d7sri.jpg

Hi Guys,

I just had my headlights cleaned from local body repair shop, after cleaning the dirt and other stuff gone but some weird spot visible on my headlights, although they were there but after cleaning it seems like they spread more on driver side headlight.

I asked the guy who cleaned the headlights and he said that headlights are very smooth and he cant do more sending and spots are inside not outside of the headlights. The guy used 600 and then 3000 grit wet sanding then buffing.

Before cleaning my driver side headlight was clearer than passenger side and spots were lot less, but after cleaning driver side headlight looks bit blurry and passenger side headlight looks more clearer although spots are visible on both headlights but driver side has lot more spots and due to this it looks blurry.

The spots are more visible when headlights on, please see the pics below and advice me if i can get rid of these spots and they are not inside of the headlight. Thanks

My girlfriend had a similar thing with her headlights. Plus there was green algae growing inside them. I took 'em off and submersed them overnight in a bath full of sterilising fluid. Hey presto … nastiness removed! (as well as quite a lot of the chrome reflective finish, ideally used by the bulbs for lighting the street, but we'll say no more about that :suspect:).

Is it my computer that's removing quoted text, or a fault with SF's? That's the second post in a row where this's happened!

My girlfriend had a similar thing with her headlights. Plus there was green algae growing inside them. I took 'em off and submersed them overnight in a bath full of sterilising fluid. Hey presto … nastiness removed! (as well as quite a lot of the chrome reflective finish, ideally used by the bulbs for lighting the street, but we'll say no more about that :suspect:).

Is it my computer that's removing quoted text, or a fault with SF's? That's the second post in a row where this's happened!

Impressed with your hardwork lol,, but i don't have girl friend so looking for alternative easy methods without putting in the bath :help:

Impressed with your hardwork lol,, but i don't have girl friend so looking for alternative easy methods without putting in the bath :help:

Still need to remove them but sloshing them with boiling soapy water did the trick for mine.

Still need to remove them but sloshing them with boiling soapy water did the trick for mine.

Its corsa sxi face lift model and need to take the bumper off for taking headlights out which is not an easy job.

I hope someone who had similar problem with similar headlights could confirm if the spots are inside or outside and can be cleaned or not.

It looks like small stress cracks to me in the plastic, are you using aftermarket bulbs in the headlights as the heat can cause the plastic to crack/spot in a similar fashon.

Edited by mafya

Can you feel any uneven or rough bits with your fingernail??

Just because the lights have been polished doesn't mean that they cut deep enough to remove all the damage.

It looks like small stress cracks to me in the plastic, are you using aftermarket bulbs in the headlights as the heat can cause the plastic to crack/spot in a similar fashon.

I've never seen headlamps made from plastic.

---------- Post added 28-10-2015 at 14:27 ----------

Hi Guys,

I'm struggling with the photos, but it looks like overspray to me.

Yes i am using after market bulbs and it does look like heat spots as the guy who did wet sanding said he sanded aggressively and he cant feel anything on those spots and the whole headlight is very smooth no uneven spots

---------- Post added 28-10-2015 at 16:30 ----------

Can you feel any uneven or rough bits with your fingernail??

Just because the lights have been polished doesn't mean that they cut deep enough to remove all the damage.

No uneven spots tried with finger nails and with the needle as well, the guy who cleaned the light did say that it looks like some kind of lacquer (liquid) may be spilled in the past which went inside the plastic and caused spots. The lights were cleaned by wet sanding with 600 grit sand paper followed by 3000 grit then buffing.

---------- Post added 28-10-2015 at 16:34 ----------

---------- Post added 28-10-2015 at 14:27 ----------

I'm struggling with the photos, but it looks like overspray to me.

The headlights made of plastic pal they are not over sprayed, if they were overs prayed then they could have easily be cleaned with wet sanding.

Edited by Digital2011

Most if not all are made from plastic these days :confused::confused::confused::confused:

It's usually a coating on the lenses like you get on your glasses. You can remove the coating with an abrasive compound like T-cut or any other buffing compound. The cheaper headlights don't tend to sport the coating or the glass ones , I think it's there as a barrier to stop headlight yellowing