Opinions on Park Hill Flats development

Look at some of the parts of Walkley that are near the University, maybe avoiding the Upperthorpe area. If you can afford it, a small terrace in Walkley could hold its value better than a flat - what do others think?

Thanks we have had a look a few terraces in Walkley, they all wanted quite a bit doing to them and were very small. Will keep looking though.

Look at some of the parts of Walkley that are near the University, maybe avoiding the Upperthorpe area. If you can afford it, a small terrace in Walkley could hold its value better than a flat - what do others think?

I was under the impression that Park Hill were going for around £100k. You'll be lucky to find anything decent in Walkley for that. Less so in Crookes, and I can't think of any property going for that in Broomhill other than perhaps a garage at 20k.

A small terrace in Walkley as it is would be looking more at £110k even as a project rather than somewhere ready to 'move in'. Way above the above the £100k Parkhill price.

To get a decent ready to move in terrace in Walkley you've got to be looking at 120-130k. (at least). Given what she is looking for and the market for town flats, this is a far better option I think.

When I was buying I looked for somewhere I could afford (obviously) but something I could work on because it would be cheaper. A young lass wanting a first place with no hassles aint going to want a problem like terraces on the cheap.

Edited by *_ash_*

I wouldn't have thought it was the best place if you want cafes/bars. Not unless you want taxis home. For the same price you could get a small flat in West One. It's not going to be anywhere near as big, but much closer to bars/cafes/the uni, and still on tram route.

p.s. and probably much easier to sell. I don't think they can even get rid of the current ones, let alone selling one on.

the proximity to train station is attractive to buyers. Like you say though, the surrounding area needs a bit of development. you'd have to venture out to town to find any cafes.

---------- Post added 28-10-2015 at 11:17 ----------

I was under the impression that Park Hill were going for around £100k. You'll be lucky to find anything decent in Walkley for that. Less so in Crookes, and I can't think of any property going for that in Broomhill other than perhaps a garage at 20k.

A small terrace in Walkley as it is would be looking more at £110k even as a project rather than somewhere ready to 'move in'. Way above the above the £100k Parkhill price.

To get a decent ready to move in terrace in Walkley you've got to be looking at 120-130k. (at least). Given what she is looking for and the market for town flats, this is a far better option I think.

When I was buying I looked for somewhere I could afford (obviously) but something I could work on because it would be cheaper. A young lass wanting a first place with no hassles aint going to want a problem like terraces on the cheap.

for a large 780sq ft 1 bedroom flat you are talking around 110k. And 140k for a 2 bedroom.

Some are duplex, and some have large balconies with fantastic aspects over sheffield.

for the space on offer, you can't usually get anything like that in walkley or crookes. Maybe a small terrace in Walkley. Maybe a flat?

---------- Post added 28-10-2015 at 11:18 ----------

depends what you did to the house. Potentially I think you could be right. If you were going to hang on to the flat for a while and live in it, bit different.

---------- Post added 28-10-2015 at 11:22 ----------

Thanks we have had a look a few terraces in Walkley, they all wanted quite a bit doing to them and were very small. Will keep looking though.

check out kelham island. There's a new eco-development down there on the old green street site. 1-4 bedroom houses.

---------- Post added 28-10-2015 at 11:23 ----------

check out kelham island. There's a new eco-development down there on the old green street site. 1-4 bedroom houses.

Edited by TJC1

A bit of monentum from private buyers is needed at Parkhill to get it really going. As said you are getting a lot for your money and as for the area, yes it was once very rough but look at the developments near the Wicker, how they have come on and Wicker was rough as anywhere, especially proximity to spital hill.

I would carefully check any service charges though and how much they are allowed to rise annually, and ensure you are getting a long lease, maybe 150 years plus.

A bit of monentum from private buyers is needed at Parkhill to get it really going. As said you are getting a lot for your money and as for the area, yes it was once very rough but look at the developments near the Wicker, how they have come on and Wicker was rough as anywhere, especially proximity to spital hill.

I would carefully check any service charges though and how much they are allowed to rise annually, and ensure you are getting a long lease, maybe 150 years plus.

that's an amazing point. The service charge can really hit your wallet. Anything from 1000 to 3000 per annum (or more).

Just because they've slapped some lipstick on a pig doesn't mean you should fall over yourself to buy a place there.

By all means rent a place there first though, you'll at least get a feel for the area before laying down all your money.

Edited by geared

Just because they've slapped some lipstick on a pig doesn't mean you should fall over yourself to buy a place there.

Agreed, you only need to watch the latest This is England to see the pre-lipsticked pig and it ain't pretty. I appreciate that they are the un-refurbished flats but they aren't far away and it's taken then long enough to sort out the first stage(s).

I think the area isn't too bad now. In some ways the more studenty areas can be more attractive to criminals simply because students are an easy target. In terms of amenities, yes there is nothing immediately on the doorstep, but it's only a short walk to the city centre. To suggest you would need a taxi home from from bars and cafes in the city centre is ludicrous. Pretty much everything in the city centre is within a 20 min walk via the train station, and there's loads of stuff within 10 mins or less.

The problem in Sheffield with public transport is that busses don't cross the City which makes it very hard to live in Meersbrook or Woodseats (both nice cheaper areas) and travel to Sheffield University. It means a bus in to town and another one out. The thing I would consider about Park Hill and other newer developments is how safe a young woman feels walking home after dark, and I would test it out, they may be fine. It is true that student areas may be targets for burglars but in general the streets feel very safe in student parts of S10, S11 and S6.

I wouldn't have thought it was the best place if you want cafes/bars. Not unless you want taxis home. For the same price you could get a small flat in West One. It's not going to be anywhere near as big, but much closer to bars/cafes/the uni, and still on tram route.

p.s. and probably much easier to sell. I don't think they can even get rid of the current ones, let alone selling one on.

The best beer in Sheffield, Sheffield Tap is 5 minutes walk and the best coffee Tamper is less than 10. On top of that getting a taxi to anywhere is central Sheffield from Park Hill would mark you out as pretty lazy, you can be at the Harley walking in 30 minutes. True the commercial properties on Park Hill are not yet really in use yet but once all the flats are occupied, all the offices let, and you can access from Duke Street this will become prime space.

Yes Park Hill is a bigger risk than already finished developments, but for me it's an iconic building and the layout, quality of finish, and general aesthetic mark it out as a cut above other city centre developments.

Thanks for all the posts. Someone mentioned service charges on park hill. If I remember correctly they are £1.71 per sq foot on a 2 bed, so approx £107 per month. Plus renting a parking space is another £60 per month. Saying that we were told once a sufficient sinking fund had built up the service charges would be reduced. Car parking spaces will be sold in the future but no prices set as yet.