Opinions on Park Hill Flats development

Thanks for all the posts. Someone mentioned service charges on park hill. If I remember correctly they are £1.71 per sq foot on a 2 bed, so approx £107 per month. Plus renting a parking space is another £60 per month. Saying that we were told once a sufficient sinking fund had built up the service charges would be reduced. Car parking spaces will be sold in the future but no prices set as yet.

For owners in Flank A service charges were reduced significantly in the third year because it was found some costs were simply overestimated and some services not required. If you're living in the city centre directly next to the train and bus station, and access to both yellow and blue trams you need to consider whether you really need a car.

The problem in Sheffield with public transport is that busses don't cross the City which makes it very hard to live in Meersbrook or Woodseats

It's the same for cars really though. That's more down to the the lie of the land in Sheffield, and how it developed over time, meaning we have main arterial roads in and out in all straight directions from the centre, but few spiral type roads linking these, that flatter places can easily build.

The best beer in Sheffield, Sheffield Tap is 5 minutes walk and the best coffee Tamper is less than 10. On top of that getting a taxi to anywhere is central Sheffield from Park Hill would mark you out as pretty lazy, you can be at the Harley walking in 30 minutes. True the commercial properties on Park Hill are not yet really in use yet but once all the flats are occupied, all the offices let, and you can access from Duke Street this will become prime space.

Yes Park Hill is a bigger risk than already finished developments, but for me it's an iconic building and the layout, quality of finish, and general aesthetic mark it out as a cut above other city centre developments.

You can't be serious with this post smiggs.

The best beer in Sheffield, Sheffield Tap is 5 minutes walk and the best coffee Tamper is less than 10. On top of that getting a taxi to anywhere is central Sheffield from Park Hill would mark you out as pretty lazy, you can be at the Harley walking in 30 minutes. True the commercial properties on Park Hill are not yet really in use yet but once all the flats are occupied, all the offices let, and you can access from Duke Street this will become prime space.

Yes Park Hill is a bigger risk than already finished developments, but for me it's an iconic building and the layout, quality of finish, and general aesthetic mark it out as a cut above other city centre developments.

A 30 minute walk isn't close or classed as neighbourhood. I can get to a variety of places within 5 minutes.

---------- Post added 28-10-2015 at 22:28 ----------

Thanks for all the posts. Someone mentioned service charges on park hill. If I remember correctly they are £1.71 per sq foot on a 2 bed, so approx £107 per month. Plus renting a parking space is another £60 per month. Saying that we were told once a sufficient sinking fund had built up the service charges would be reduced. Car parking spaces will be sold in the future but no prices set as yet.

Another 167 quid is not to be sniffed at.

A bit of monentum from private buyers is needed at Parkhill to get it really going. As said you are getting a lot for your money and as for the area, yes it was once very rough but look at the developments near the Wicker, how they have come on and Wicker was rough as anywhere, especially proximity to spital hill.

I would carefully check any service charges though and how much they are allowed to rise annually, and ensure you are getting a long lease, maybe 150 years plus.

Do you mean the flats on Millsands because I can vouch for them! On one side you have the Wicker, which admittedly is a little rough but on the other you have Kelham island which I think has really come along in the last year or so. When I first looked around there I thought it was a bit dire but it's exciting to see more restaurants and stuff pop up. Think there's flats being built there as well and lots of other plans so you might want to look into them.

If your daughter works at the university Sharon sh, our flat is only about a 20 ish minute walk away. Or if she's feeling extremely lazy we're close to the tram :/

As for safety, I feel comfortable walking around there at night. Plus to get into our flat, you have to use a fob key to get through the gates, then into the building, then once you get to our floor you have another door to unlock, then our actual flat door. I think the only way someone's getting in is via the balcony, you'd have to be spiderman.

Service charges seem a bit hefty, think around £1500 a year maybe? Will have to double check that... They do actually cover quite a lot, including a car parking space. Found out recently that a friends son was paying £80 a month for a space in student accommodation!!! So all things considered, it's not that bad. The concierges are top blokes too, which is a bonus... that could be because we gifted them some wine at Christmas though :P

Thanks for the comments. She works at the University of Sheffield so anywhere that's easy to travel from. She currently walks, but would need to use bus, tram etc if not within walking distance. We have already viewed the apartments at park view, they are really nice, however, I am concerned about the area from a safety aspect. She currently house shares in Broomhill and loves the area, however, budget will exclude it I think. I mentioned "contraversial" in my original post as my husband read that no one from Sheffield would buy at Park View because of its past association with crime.

Personally I would not buy there due to well known problems in the past and my lack of knowledge to be sure it really is ok now. I don't think they are actually much cheaper than e.g. keelhaul island though which is a good area nowadays? Maybe you can compare prices and check.

Another 167 quid is not to be sniffed at.

Question is if you've got that much money to chuck around what are you doing in Park Hill??

:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

Question is if you've got that much money to chuck around what are you doing in Park Hill??

:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

I know. Get yourself down to ecclesall / hallam.

The problem in Sheffield with public transport is that busses don't cross the City which makes it very hard to live in Meersbrook or Woodseats (both nice cheaper areas) and travel to Sheffield University. It means a bus in to town and another one out. The thing I would consider about Park Hill and other newer developments is how safe a young woman feels walking home after dark, and I would test it out, they may be fine. It is true that student areas may be targets for burglars but in general the streets feel very safe in student parts of S10, S11 and S6.

This is essentially true, although the 10 does go from Meersbrook, through Nether Edge and up to the Hallamshire hospital. It only goes once an hour though.

I'd agree that Meersbrook is an excellent choice for a safe, middle-class area with a great park and shopping on Chesterfield and Abbeydale roads with a ten minute bus journey to the centre at a lower price than Broomhill and Hunter's Bar etc. Although this is changing: 3-bed terraces in good condition have started going for the 150k mark in recent months (two with an asking price of 140k have sold for 152k and 156k respectively :o).

A 30 minute walk isn't close or classed as neighbourhood. I can get to a variety of places within 5 minutes.

The 30 minute walk example is basically crossing the entire city centre on foot think about hour many pubs I walked past to get to the Harley from Park Hill, the post I was replying to said you'd need to use taxis a lot for cafés and restaurants but since I've lived in Park Hill I use a lot less taxis than I did when I was in Nether Edge. The cafés and bars are about the same distance I wasn't really suggesting that Park Hill has great facilities in itself, the development of the area is only really starting but you can get to a lot places on foot quickly it's no worse or better than most other places in that regard.

I do think that once the place is actually developed properly you'll have shops, bars, cafés restaurants etc actually in Park Hill but that still would seem to be a long way off.

Edited by smiggs

The 30 minute walk example is basically crossing the entire city centre on foot think about hour many pubs I walked past to get to the Harley from Park Hill, the post I was replying to said you'd need to use taxis a lot for cafés and restaurants but since I've lived in Park Hill I use a lot less taxis than I did when I was in Nether Edge. The cafés and bars are about the same distance I wasn't really suggesting that Park Hill has great facilities in itself, the development of the area is only really starting but you can get to a lot places on foot quickly it's no worse or better than most other places in that regard.

I do think that once the place is actually developed properly you'll have shops, bars, cafés restaurants etc actually in Park Hill but that still would seem to be a long way off.

Why on earth would you want to cross the entire city. I could walk to the other end of town in 30 minutes from nether edge.

Why on earth would you want to cross the entire city. I could walk to the other end of town in 30 minutes from nether edge.

Not sure why you're fixated on this, the point was there's plenty of places to eat and drink in a reasonable distance from Park Hill. It is on the edge of the city centre after all.

The word on the street is that one of Sheffield's best coffee shops will be opening a shop in Park Hill at some point in the (near?) future. Your daughter will be able to get the tram to work easily - even when it snows. In terms of nearby amenities, there is Norfolk Park which is a nice park with great views, pubs/bars (Sheffield Tap, Showroom, Rutland) the other side of the rail line, restaurants/cafes in the centre (St Pauls places, Marmadukes), emerging places around Castlegate (Cafe Roma - great panini). but you dont walk out the door and find cafes etc. IF she wants to be in walking distance (to me that means 30 mins) of Uni of Sheffield and affordable then Sharrow/Nether Edge is a good bet although there will be people who will come up with tales (which I am contradicting) of safety concerns etc. Either way, this area couldnt be better located in being close to pubs, bars, shops, cafes, resturants - from the wide variety of global cuisines on London Road, to the rapidly changing Abbeydale Road, to Sharrowvale Road on the other side and Ecclesall Road if you want the comfort of chain eateries and orange skinned people in Porsche Cayennes.

In all honesty I would see PArk Hill as liveable (the flats are great with fantastic views), with a growing (slowly) community of residents and businesses moving in (graphic designers, warp films etc). However it isnt yet an "established" area and the immediate surrounds are not buzzing. I personally would not flag safety concerns there - the remaining families in Park Hill (existing tenants) are located at the other end and it is no longer the "sink estate" it once was regarded as (see this article for a description of the different Park Hills) http://www.insidehousing.co.uk/uphill-struggle/6527823.article. however, much of the complex is empty; and most of the "life" your daughter may want to get to is the other side of the rail line and the city centre - this isnt as far as away as it sounds as Park Hill is level with this with the footbridge connections.

I still do believe that Park Hill is a good, if longer term investment:

- the conversion is good quality and the flats are spacious and well done - in contrast to many rabbit hutch city centre living flats being built elsewhere. ITs architectural status and significance looks unlikely to diminish and I think interest will only grow

- the areas adjacent will in time develop. Castlegate will be developing (i cant promise what rate) as the council's plans come forward - although I would agree this isnt certain what timeframe this will happen in). Fitzalan sq and the new Art School will also, i think start to change the area around Commercial St and High St as well as the square itself. one day the blocks immediately around the station will also be developed - especially as the former Nelson Mandela Building has been sold meaning there might be renewed interest in it. The grey to green scheme from park sq roundabout through to shalesmoor will hopefully make some things happen down in that area with the right luck - espcially if the WEst Bar development starts to build out.

however if your daughter wants somewhere more immediately or obviously vibrant then nether edge, sharrow, sharrowvale or meersbrook (via the number 10 are good options....or even "the lakes" and other housing close to abbeydale road where there are other buses to uni (85, the Tesco P&R buses). however places may be smaller and more expensive than you might want.

To be honest, the best thing is for her to visit Park Hill - if she is into art, then she could check this out this saturday at the Scottish Queen gallery on site, and visit as the sun goes down - she will get a sense of how it might feel and how she will feel about it http://www.s1artspace.org/programme/park-hill/