Has "would of" become acceptable now?

Is it acceptable to use "of" instead of "have" ?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Is it acceptable to use "of" instead of "have" ?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other

My pet hates vary over time,.

Hmm you do seem a rather confused person

"to barter" instead of "to bargain" or "to haggle".

Regularly, even from BBC employees.

Incorrectly using the word "while" to mean "until".

I'd never heard that until I moved to Sheffield in '86, but I consider it a perfectly acceptable regional variation.

I'd never heard that until I moved to Sheffield in '86, but I consider it a perfectly acceptable regional variation.

Oh ok.... so if enough people misuse a word and are geographically concentrated, that makes it acceptable English? That makes a lot of Americanisms acceptable too, and arguably the "would of" typically used by southern working classes.

Oh ok.... so if enough people misuse a word and are geographically concentrated, that makes it acceptable English? That makes a lot of Americanisms acceptable too, and arguably the "would of" typically used by southern working classes.

Language isn't static; it's always in a state of flux.

And the same argument could be applied to any example in this thread, including your own stated pet hate of been vs being.

My pet hates vary over time, but the current most loathed for me is 'been' for 'being'.

Incorrectly using the word "while" to mean "until".

This is disturbing me a great deal. I agree with Halibut on all his points. While is simply a regional variation using the same part of speech. Been instead of being is so weirdly wrong along with of instead of have is just plain ignorant.

The "word" prolly has to be the most stupid in my book. Probably.

This is disturbing me a great deal. I agree with Halibut on all his points. While is simply a regional variation using the same part of speech. Been instead of being is so weirdly wrong along with of instead of have is just plain ignorant.

The "word" prolly has to be the most stupid in my book. Probably.

Using "while" for "until" is incorrect English, regional variation or not. Of course language evolves over time but I can't see it catching on, because if nothing else, it can be confusing, e.g. "don't leave while the light is on" can be interpreted two ways (correctly and incorrectly). If anything, something like "been" and "being" merging over the next few hundred years is linguistically more likely.

But in any case, if it's one of my pet hates, Halibut has no right to question it (and in doing so, the whole premise of this thread).

Using "while" for "until" is incorrect English, regional variation or not. Of course language evolves over time but I can't see it catching on, because if nothing else, it can be confusing, e.g. "don't leave while the light is on" can be interpreted two ways (correctly and incorrectly). If anything, something like "been" and "being" merging over the next few hundred years is linguistically more likely.

But in any case, if it's one of my pet hates, Halibut has no right to question it (and in doing so, the whole premise of this thread).

I know - Halibut is almost invariably wrong about everything, and it has got me questioning myself. I think I have yet to disagree with any thing you have said on this forum, and again has me doubting myself.

I still quite like the while substitution for until. I don't know why.

Using "while" for "until" is incorrect English, regional variation or not. Of course language evolves over time but I can't see it catching on, because if nothing else, it can be confusing, e.g. "don't leave while the light is on" can be interpreted two ways (correctly and incorrectly).

Perhaps an urban myth, but wasn't there a story a few years ago about an 'ambiguous' level crossing sign which confused a car driver?

Something along the lines of 'Please wait while red lights flash'?