Black Friday November 27th.

'Black Friday' falls into the same category as Hallowe'en: an unnecessary introduction from the USA- we can do without either, thanks.

'Black Friday' falls into the same category as Hallowe'en: an unnecessary introduction from the USA- we can do without either, thanks.

I've often wondered what is the appeal? Why do other countries so readily pick up our (in some cases) really bad habits? McDonalds, KFC, etc. Yuk.

Black Friday has become absolutely insane. However, there are good online deals out there. I just don't leave my house.

Is it only me that buys things when I need them? Is the need to spend spend spend an illness or a belief that if the Jones's have it, I want it mentality?

Is it only me that buys things when I need them? Is the need to spend spend spend an illness or a belief that if the Jones's have it, I want it mentality?

I agree with your sentiments here.

I agree with your sentiments here.

I think the people I saw on the news last year in the Asda riots put me off shopping for life:hihi:

Our daughter in law took the grandson to Meadowhall today, and was there for several hours. Ive no idea what pleasure there is in that, but she seemed to enjoy it. I suppose I'm fortunate that Mrs Scania dislikes Meadowhall as much as me, thank goodness!

I've often wondered what is the appeal? Why do other countries so readily pick up our (in some cases) really bad habits? McDonalds, KFC, etc. Yuk.

Black Friday has become absolutely insane. However, there are good online deals out there. I just don't leave my house.

I first heard about Black Friday on the news a couple of years ago. Images of 'ordinary people' in America grasping and fighting for sale items. Then shopkeepers expressing dismay at people's greedy natures.

No doubt TV reporters quite liked the dramatic scenes of proles scrapping, bit like Jeremy Kyle.

British TV newscasters then labelled a specific day in the calendar as Black Friday -

Edited by Mister M

I first heard about Black Friday on the news a couple of years ago. Images of 'ordinary people' in America grasping and fighting for sale items. Then shopkeepers expressing dismay at people's greedy natures.

No doubt TV reporters quite liked the dramatic scenes of proles scrapping, bit like Jeremy Kyle.

British TV newscasters then labelled a specific day in the calendar as Black Friday -

It has become absolutely crazy, and every year the insanity seems to start earlier and last longer.

I only ventured out once, when my children were small and I was determined to get a certain toy, which the store only had two of, (and one was purchased by an employee). Hmmm.

I did get some good deals and was back home by noon, but dear Lord, never again!

Nowadays, the husband and I hole up in the house and watch the madness on TV. Regretful that this nonsense has made it's way across the pond. :(

I hope they've learnt lessons with regards to website traffic. I was unable to get onto most companys Black Friday pages from midnight to around 3am. It was a waste of time. I'm not convinced it will be any different this time round.

If you must stay up clicking refresh ad infinitum Id have a look at the Black Friday deals pages a week or so in advance to make sure there's something staying up for.

Nice on TFH. I've signed up for a few sites to get advanced info on what's going to be on offer, (pinch of salt methinks)

---------- Post added 28-10-2015 at 19:19 ----------

I only replace items when I need to. Not like Ron...he upgrades every 6 months, and this includes the missus.:P

Halloween is not an "introduction from the USA";

"The word Halloween or Hallowe'en dates to about 1745 and is of Christian origin. The word "Halloween" means "hallowed evening" or "holy evening". It comes from a Scottish term for All Hallows' Eve (the evening before All Hallows' Day). In Scots, the word "eve" is even, and this is contracted to e'en or een. Over time, (All) Hallow(s) E(v)en evolved into Halloween. Although the phrase "All Hallows'" is found in Old English (ealra hālgena mæssedæg, all saints mass-day), "All Hallows' Eve" is itself not seen until 1556."

"In Britain and Ireland, the tradition of going house-to-house collecting food at Halloween goes back at least as far as the 16th century, as had the tradition of people wearing costumes at Halloween."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween

Halloween is not an "introduction from the USA";

"The word Halloween or Hallowe'en dates to about 1745 and is of Christian origin. The word "Halloween" means "hallowed evening" or "holy evening". It comes from a Scottish term for All Hallows' Eve (the evening before All Hallows' Day). In Scots, the word "eve" is even, and this is contracted to e'en or een. Over time, (All) Hallow(s) E(v)en evolved into Halloween. Although the phrase "All Hallows'" is found in Old English (ealra hālgena mæssedæg, all saints mass-day), "All Hallows' Eve" is itself not seen until 1556."

"In Britain and Ireland, the tradition of going house-to-house collecting food at Halloween goes back at least as far as the 16th century, as had the tradition of people wearing costumes at Halloween."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween

The large scale "celebrations" we have for Halloween these days are definitely an American import...

As one brought up in the 1940s and 50s Halloween was never celebrated until at least the 8os.

It was introduced to get mugs to spend money on rubbish at the same time as Christmas goods arrived in the stores.

BAH HUMBUG

I remember the scenes of scrapping on TV last year....Then the people who thought they grabbed themselves a bargain tried to sell their rubbish on Ebay - only for no one else to be interested

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/11266978/Black-Friday-shoppers-struggle-to-sell-TVs-on-eBay.html

Ha ha.

Others bargain hunters were seen brawling over the 50 inch Blaupunkt HD TV in Tesco stores, where they were reduced by £100 from £399 to £249.

:huh:

Have I not drank enough coffee yet today?