Black Friday November 27th.

The large scale "celebrations" we have for Halloween these days are definitely an American import...

Americans tend to stick the cutesy side of it all, in the terms of childrens costumes. Everyone here thinks it should be "scary", "gross" and "creepy"

Americans just use the day to have fancy dress, in all realness.

Theres also the side of halloween thats missed here is the pumpkin patches, hayrides, corn field mazes and non-alcoholic cider drunk.

The evening side is for the adults, with haunted houses (with gore), boozy parties and evening parades.. (Seriously the parade in Greenwich Village is hard to beat)

If you want to blame us for shoving our hols in your faces, at least appropriate it correctly ;)

Also, Black Friday is for the birds. Shoppers were down this year as loads of stores opened at 4pm or earlier for their sales to begin. Disgusting really, that time should be for employees to be with their families and sitting down to eat their dinners - not running out the door so people can spend money on things they dont really need or worth the value sold.

Edited by alternageek

Americans tend to stick the cutesy side of it all, in the terms of childrens costumes. Everyone here thinks it should be "scary", "gross" and "creepy"

Americans just use the day to have fancy dress, in all realness.

Theres also the side of halloween thats missed here is the pumpkin patches, hayrides, corn field mazes and non-alcoholic cider drunk.

The evening side is for the adults, with haunted houses (with gore), boozy parties and evening parades.. (Seriously the parade in Greenwich Village is hard to beat)

If you want to blame us for shoving our hols in your faces, at least appropriate it correctly ;)

Also, Black Friday is for the birds. Shoppers were down this year as loads of stores opened at 4pm or earlier for their sales to begin. Disgusting really, that time should be for employees to be with their families and sitting down to eat their dinners - not running out the door so people can spend money on things they dont really need or worth the value sold.

Good. I hope the store's profits were down as well.

Maybe a controversial view - I'm sick to death of the relentless merry go round of adverts, papers hyping up 'Black Friday', to encourage people to behave like idiots to buy crap they don't need.

Anyhow, it got me thinking...Is black Friday all it's cracked up to be?

BF is for brainless idiots! :loopy:

All those stupid people tripping over each other

For what??

Good. I hope the store's profits were down as well.

Maybe a controversial view - I'm sick to death of the relentless merry go round of adverts, papers hyping up 'Black Friday', to encourage people to behave like idiots to buy crap they don't need.

Some stores were saying theyll make it up with further reductions in the run up to Christmas.

I dont get it... My family never participated in it (if we didnt have something for thanksgiving dinner, we didnt serve it, plan as) and didnt go near a store for almost a week after Thanksgiving.. We lived off our leftovers and my mother normally had the Christmas shop done before school began in Sept. She did a lot shopping the day after Christmas to stock up for the next years.. (No Boxing Day in the US)

The Independent posted a video to FB about the difference between US BF and UK BF.. US we were all crazed monsters after some sub par tv and in the UK, stores served mince pies while waiting and people queued in an orderly fashion..

Its a stupid event that should never have been brought over...

Classic FM said that in the UK people were now starting to celebrate Thanksgiving.

Americans in the UK I can understand, but this was UK people. :confused:

The people who celebrated the first thanksgiving were English. Most shops, bars and restaurants in my state and others are closed that day. It is America's favorite day for family gatherings. Black Friday follows Thanksgiving, which is always on a Thursday, to kick off Christmas spending. Since you don't celebrate Thanksgiving I see no point in Black Friday in UK.

BF is for brainless idiots! :loopy:

All those stupid people tripping over each other

For what??

Cheap brains maybe?:P