Talk Talk hacked

so it's a bit of a storm in a teacup then....?

It is and it isn't, the breach is still significant, but some of the issues that were rumoured to be the case and would have been fatal for the business are not (cc details for example).

The data will be considerably less valuable to the perps now, but they still have names/phone numbers/addresses/e-mailaddresses, you will be amazed how easy it is to use that knowledge to gain further information and take over an identity.

Has anyone had any money disappear from bank account yet?? :gag:

Talk Talk internet provider has bee attacked/hacked

Anyone affected by this? :rant:

Yes

but thats because i've spent it

i'm not with talk talk :)

so it's a bit of a storm in a teacup then....?

Not really.

It is disgraceful that they did not know on 'day one' whether data was encrypted or not.

They are not fit to be paid millions to run an ISP.

But then I guess that all those at the top of their trees will be the same.

Not really.

It is disgraceful that they did not know on 'day one' whether data was encrypted or not.

They are not fit to be paid millions to run an ISP.

But then I guess that all those at the top of their trees will be the same.

i'm quite sure the technical layer did know, the management layer probably didn't bit in general that's not such a problem.

however, the mangement spokesperson really should have been properly briefed and that's a failure which clearly needs addressing.

It's something I wouldn't do, but Noddle don't know this and I'm sure that there are other couples who don't have this trust.

What I'm saying is that asking for your 3 digit security number isn't proving anything about the person tendering it so no point in asking for it really. All it is proving is that the person entering the details has access to the card.

But this is EXACTLY the same information you need to open a new bank account, get a loan, get a credit card.

That is basically proving the point in the first place, that we don't have a concrete way to prove who we are and why criminals stealing relatively basic data about us has become such a big deal.

Good to know, I have been checking my bank accounts every few hours to see if any money goes missing.....

Only check your bank account if your missus goes missing.:P

i'm quite sure the technical layer did know, the management layer probably didn't bit in general that's not such a problem.

however, the mangement spokesperson really should have been properly briefed and that's a failure which clearly needs addressing.

The management 'spokesperson' was the CEO of TalkTalk.

If your core business is an ISP, it is a fundamental issue that should be known to more than the techies, especially as it wasn't the first issue of this kind.

As such, it is a major problem.

But this is EXACTLY the same information you need to open a new bank account, get a loan, get a credit card.

That is basically proving the point in the first place, that we don't have a concrete way to prove who we are and why criminals stealing relatively basic data about us has become such a big deal.

I am aware of this.

The bit in the bold is the reason why I am cynical as to why anyone would give Noddle their 3 digit security number, or more pertinent, why they are asking for it. That's the reason I'm on here discussing it.

Surely account number and sort code along with your name should be enough.

I am aware of this.

The bit in the bold is the reason why I am cynical as to why anyone would give Noddle their 3 digit security number, or more pertinent, why they are asking for it. That's the reason I'm on here discussing it.

Surely account number and sort code along with your name should be enough.

it is a very good way of proving you are you say you are and of course it means they have enough information to renew your membership once talk talk's deal runs out.

it is a very good way of proving you are you say you are and of course it means they have enough information to renew your membership once talk talk's deal runs out.

Surely it just means that you have access to the card details, not proving who you personally are and I already pointed out that it is enough detail to enable an online purchase ..... or at least acquire financial gain as in your post. Which is the bit I'm feeling suspicious about.

Surely it just means that you have access to the card details, not proving who you personally are and I already pointed out that it is enough detail to enable an online purchase ..... or at least acquire financial gain as in your post. Which is the bit I'm feeling suspicious about.

these people are monitoring your credit record, they need sufficient information to be able to do that and i'm guessing you are also signing up for and agreeing in principle, subject to a right to cancel, to pay for the next period of memebership once talk talk's deal expires and as you have helpfully provided the necessary infromation it will all be done automatically so your protection is continuous.

this is the ultimate problem with the internet, you cannot prove you are you except by allowing the use of things like the ccv number to confirm your identity.

the only solution to this is to turn the internet off or at an individual level disconnect yourself totally.

pandora has, once again, opened the box and as always we must live with the consequences.