Westfield School

I started there in 1959/60 aged 11..went to the lower school.. class 1P...2nd year 2N.. and quite often had to walk it to the upper school at Mosborough for lessons in the afternoon..in the 3rd/4th years 3N/4N was at the upper school all the time and had to walk many times from Mosborough to the "White City" at Killamarsh because of lack of bus service,and quite often walk it there in the mornings too,(because i missed the bus:hihi::hihi:)..no days off because it had been snowing then..went to see Sheff United a few times with my then mate who was in the same class as me through school...1P/2N/3N/4N..Neil Warnock who later became their manager...happy times..not really :D

Hi Laura, its Luke. Mr Thomas (History teacher) retired a few years ago and Mrs Snell left for reasons unknown. The headteacher is very good wouldn't you agree?

Hi Luke, definitely. Mr Ireland believes he only wants best for Westfield but in fact its going downhill as we can see in the ofsted report.

Helen Bartlam

Barbara Taylor

Marie Luke

Sheila Williamson and the Freeman twins from the year above

Now they were my good memories of Westfield :)

Remember those three.Same class as me,2G,3G,4G,5G. the bartlam twins lived near me at hackenthorpe.

the teachers that stick in my mind were the physics bloke "baron" Slack.always wore a scruffy oversized double breasted suit.head maths teacher mr Mellor.he was scary,nobody messed about in his class! always wore a gown.think the other maths teacher was mr borman.the german teacher at lower was mrs hardwick,she was nice. music teacher was "dimps" Robertson.everybody ran rings round him.Les Davies was head of PE.if you got the wrong side of him you were in trouble.Jarvis was the other PE fella.he was spot on.at upper can remember a foreign fella teaching languages.Mr "chromedome" Wesley.i think the careers master was Mr Shaw. struggling to remember anymore after all these years.my time was 63-68

I used to live very near the Upper School, and so used to leave it until the last minute to leave home. I was very often late.

On my report at the end of term in the box marked "times late....." My form teacher wrote "far too often!"

Remember those three.Same class as me,2G,3G,4G,5G. the bartlam twins lived near me at hackenthorpe.

the teachers that stick in my mind were the physics bloke "baron" Slack.always wore a scruffy oversized double breasted suit.head maths teacher mr Mellor.he was scary,nobody messed about in his class! always wore a gown.think the other maths teacher was mr borman.the german teacher at lower was mrs hardwick,she was nice. music teacher was "dimps" Robertson.everybody ran rings round him.Les Davies was head of PE.if you got the wrong side of him you were in trouble.Jarvis was the other PE fella.he was spot on.at upper can remember a foreign fella teaching languages.Mr "chromedome" Wesley.i think the careers master was Mr Shaw. struggling to remember anymore after all these years.my time was 63-68

I was there from '69-76.. Once got the slipper off Mr Davies..I think Mr Schleifer ,a German,taught us French..I remember walking over the brow to get to upper school for lessons some afternoons..

Anyone on here remember the Westfield sportshall and youth club??

I remember the youth club very well,my dad bought me a cheap vespa scooter for my 16th.instead of revising for "O"levels I spent too many evenings riding it up there from hackenthorpe.loved it in there though.

---------- Post added 27-03-2015 at 22:53 ----------

anyone know when the old house system finished,Chandos,Ferrers,Peveril,Sherwood,and what replaced it?

It finished about 1978 - my last year. I was in Pevril and then we simply went into a form system if memory serves. A bit crap really as when in 'houses' you got to be with kids from other classes. Did they ever workout why B block burnt down?

.. Once got the slipper off Mr Davies...

Me too,more than once..but at least he did ask what size you wanted hitting with...had cane a few times too, off the headmaster :D :D :D :D

I "did my time" at Westfield between 1989-1994.

I was in Mr Capewell's form.

Mr Turton - did indeed wear a WIG, for I think the first 3 years I was there, everyone knew it was a WIG, sure I saw it slide once too, then after the 6 week holiday it just wasn't there anymore :hihi:

Mr Lester - Tash, a monster tash, proper slug it was, remember him bollocking students once for about 15 minutes after they stud on a slug.

Mr Capewell - Also known a flakey/crusty due to his skin, nice bloke always got on with him, possibly the only one in our "form" that did.

Mr Claxton - Also known as POB.

Miss Oreagon - Loud southern accent, also got a lads name wrong, then said (every week for 5 years) "must remember to put a big J there"

Miss Needham - Always looked extremely angry, but was a good teacher and kind of forced you to learn.

Mr Kershaw - Nicest bloke you could meet.

Mr Roe - Again thought he was good, some of his phrase's:

"stand fast"

"overcoat merchants"

Mr Adams - Mr Bean lookalike again decent teacher.

Miss Cooper - Short Skirts when bowling in public :hihi:

Mr Holmes - Always dileberatly called a friend of mine "Sharalamboo" when his surname was "Charalambus" everyone always laughed, don't know if he actually knew people was laughing at him or not :hihi:

Mr Bollough - Blackpool fan, other than that Brilliant, top teacher was more like a mate than a teacher always wanted to help and never shouted once.

Mr Parsons - Did Mr Boloughs shouting for him :hihi:

Mr Jackson - Several at this time, deputy head/Maths always seamed angry with everything.

Mr Jackson - Head of year, always behaved so never got told off by him.

Mrs Jackson - PE, fairly old at the time, seemed ok.

Miss Williams - Drama, strange one day a good laugh, doing something I hated, the next lesson, rip you to bits.

Mr Slyvester - History, nice bloke, taught you well and was always fair.

Mr Ibbotson - Pegleg at the time rather unfair nickname, decent teacher.

Mr Thomas - History, only had him for a year, decent teacher.

Mr Farmer - Looked about 300 hundred years old, I think he just played the piano in assembly.

Mr Shaw - Some sort of Wood work/Metal work teacher, pleasant teacher, sadly died around 1994/1995.

Miss Montgomery - English, haircut like marge simpson but ginger :hihi:

Mr Hulse - Classics, would read book and shout waving his arms everywhere, genius :hihi:

Mr Vickers - Music, shaved his beard off around 1992, that was it :hihi:

Anymore I can remember I will add to this list.

Mr Ibbotson was my form tutor and a thoroughly decent bloke.

Edited by mickw

93-98

Mr Boycott, woodwork teacher. Made his own car apparantly. A little white metal shed on wheels so it was probably true. He used to drink with ...

Mr Vickers in the vine at dinner time. He was cool. He would sit cross legged on the top of his piano.

Mrs Montgomary. I remember one English lesson with her about the use of bad language, she got us each to go and write a word on the black board. Thinking it was a trap it started with soft profanity and soon progressed. Was actually hilarious and i learned that day what C*** meant.

Mr Kershaw was just lovely.

Miss Needham has always had a rep of being a lesbian dragon, although she actually cared about teaching and almost 20 years later i still remember the content of her lessons. This teacher deserves more respect. She's actually pretty funny too. I remember a first year been sent up by an English teacher for "a long stand". Miss Needham said "ok wait there" and carried on teaching us like he wasnt there. 20 minutes later he was sent back, still not sure if he got what happened.

Mr Richardson the art teacher was amazing, his GCSE class was great.

Mr Adams, made RE lessons alright. Spent some lessons just discussing a topic someone would raise instead of drawing religious symbols of the world and such cack.

Mr Thomas, i remember "the mole" he made us write. An underground tudor newspaper.

All home ec teachers were bad uns. Like a block full of Mrs Buckets.

Mr Holmes, had the pleasure of a trip to Germany with him. Oddly he seemed very much at home.

Crawford, scabby little white bits at the corner of her mouth.

Mr Cope, running man. B.O.

There was another maths teacher (Mr Capewell possibly), greasy headed fella, dropped my maths group so highest mark i could get would be a D. I did plead with him to move me back up to no avail. No problem, i resat it after i left and went on to get a 1st class honours degree so suck my big fat one.

Doc Dick, left not long after a group of lasses accused him of being a pervert.

---------- Post added 19-10-2016 at 23:16 ----------

93-98

Mr Boycott, woodwork teacher. Made his own car apparantly. A little white metal shed on wheels so it was probably true. He used to drink with ...

Mr Vickers in the vine at dinner time. He was cool. He would sit cross legged on the top of his piano.

Mrs Montgomary. I remember one English lesson with her about the use of bad language, she got us each to go and write a word on the black board. Thinking it was a trap it started with soft profanity and soon progressed. Was actually hilarious and i learned that day what C*** meant.

Mr Kershaw was just lovely.

Miss Needham has always had a rep of being a lesbian dragon, although she actually cared about teaching and almost 20 years later i still remember the content of her lessons. This teacher deserves more respect. She's actually pretty funny too. I remember a first year been sent up by an English teacher for "a long stand". Miss Needham said "ok wait there" and carried on teaching us like he wasnt there. 20 minutes later he was sent back, still not sure if he got what happened.

Mr Richardson the art teacher was amazing, his GCSE class was great.

Mr Adams, made RE lessons alright. Spent some lessons just discussing a topic someone would raise instead of drawing religious symbols of the world and such cack.

Mr Thomas, i remember "the mole" he made us write. An underground tudor newspaper.

All home echonomic teachers were bad uns. Like a block full of Mrs Buckets.

Mr Holmes, had the pleasure of a trip to Germany with him. Oddly he seemed very much at home.

Crawford, scabby little white bits at the corner of her mouth.

Mr Cope, running man. B.O.

There was another maths teacher, greasy headed fella, dropped my maths group so highest mark i could get would be a D. I did plead with him to move me back up to no avail. No problem, i resat it after i left and went on to get a 1st class honours degree so suck my big fat one.

Doc Dick, left after a group of lasses accused him of being a pervert. Sad really.

Edited by Giddy2008

Don't know if anyone has seen this but its worth a watch.

Westfield School Sheffield. Just after closure from 2007.