Cyclist killed hit and run 19th October- police looking for witnesses

As well as poor lighting, it's not visible until cars come around the corner downhill, and being downhill and cornering they aren't necessarily looking for the crossing and b) have reduced stopping ability (function of going downhill and gravity).

It's okay for a driver that knows the crossing is there, but for someone unfamiliar I can imagine it's a surprise and they might struggle to react and stop in time.

As well as poor lighting, it's not visible until cars come around the corner downhill, and being downhill and cornering they aren't necessarily looking for the crossing and b) have reduced stopping ability (function of going downhill and gravity).

It's okay for a driver that knows the crossing is there, but for someone unfamiliar I can imagine it's a surprise and they might struggle to react and stop in time.

I agree.

I also don't think it's really that complicating to make it safer.

I don't see any reason why some of these new very bright street lights could be put on there, or even the whole stretch of Crookes Valley Road as it's a busy walkway.

They're rolling out those new LED street lights across the city, so in theory that stretch of road will get them at some point.

The extra visibility wouldn't have helped here though.

I am so sorry to read this. 51 years ago my fathers 17 year old brother was killed in a similar incident, innocently riding his bike home on a Saturday Lunch Time. I was born a few months later and was given his name. The tradgedy has affected my family ever since in different ways, for instance reading this has brought it to the forefront of my mind. I am so sorry for this boys family. As you can imagine I'm not a fan of cycling around on busy roads, especially in the dark. RIP and God Bless

---------- Post added 03-11-2015 at 21:23 ----------

I hope she is enjoying her time in Liverpool, too right about the bike. Keep it for offroad trails only.

They're rolling out those new LED street lights across the city, so in theory that stretch of road will get them at some point.

A highly used road / junction / and crossing at a point somewhere clearly very badly lit, and the site of muggings would seem like a priority to me, rather than something to hope will happen in theory.

You obviously know something I don't then.

these new LED lights are crap. They are too high to start with, so the "flood" of light never gets to the street well. One example - just drive on Cross Lane, Crookes, you may as well be in the dark