Cyclist killed hit and run 19th October- police looking for witnesses

Emma Egan who Killed my husband Eric almost 2 years ago was sentenced to 4 years. She has spent only 6 months in Doncaster and is now in open prison with permission for overnight outings she has just served a year. What justice?

My two daughters are still distraught and we find every day a tough one

My sincere condolences to the cyclists family and friends truely awful

Oh god, how terrible for you and your family. She should stay banged up for life, like the life she took.

The same goes for the idiot who caused this awful incident ( I won't call it an accident because it wasn't) as a mother of a cyclist I can only begin to imagine what his family are going through. I don't mind admitting that I am crying whilst writing this.

---------- Post added 21-10-2015 at 09:20 ----------

Some of us from CycleSheffield will be following this incident for the Road Justice Campaign and we will be putting up a ghost bike and organising some kind of ceremony/ride past

We can take the campaign to local MPs and SYP as well as local cllrs and transport bods

There are similarities to the killing of Eric Codling whilst he was cycling in 2013

see

Google "Eric Codling" on the CycleSheffield website

and google "ghost bike in Sheffield"

(I don't post enough here to be allowed to put URLs up!

What a fitting tribute to such an awful, avoidable loss of life. I have always been to frightened to cycle in Sheffield, so any changes that make our roads safer for cyclists can only be a good thing.

Firstly RIP to the Cyclist!

Rightly or wrongly I sold my bike last year after two or three near misses in a week cycling on the roads of Rotherham. The incidents ranged from poor driving through to aggressively dangerous.

In one week I nearly got knocked off by a woman in a 4x4 who was texting, I had a bloke pull out in front of me at a junction and I only just missed him & then I had a white van man actually swerve towards me forcing me into a bush whilst laughing out of the window.

I go for a walk now instead it's safer on the pavement.

RIP to cyclist and condolences to family. I wont use my bike becayse its too dangerous in the city imo. Ok in the countryside or on the outskirts. I remember the Eric Codling incident and his widow posted about the devatstaing impact it had on her and the family.

Whatever the court system it wont bring them back so I just walk places at the moment.

FWIW the benefit of riding your bike is greater than the risk of being knocked off (when compared to sitting on the sofa or commuting by car). In terms of exercise gained and the benefits, versus risk.

Which isn't to say that cycling couldn't be made much safer in Sheffield. Making it safe from drugged up scum in vans is a harder ask. Perhaps if motorists who negligently kill people got real sentences then they'd think twice about their behaviour, although I'm not convinced that they would...

Firstly RIP to the Cyclist!

Rightly or wrongly I sold my bike last year after two or three near misses in a week cycling on the roads of Rotherham. The incidents ranged from poor driving through to aggressively dangerous.

In one week I nearly got knocked off by a woman in a 4x4 who was texting, I had a bloke pull out in front of me at a junction and I only just missed him & then I had a white van man actually swerve towards me forcing me into a bush whilst laughing out of the window.

I go for a walk now instead it's safer on the pavement.

The time in prison for using a mobile phone while driving should be three years at least I see dozens of people using them every day so why the police doing their job.

FWIW the benefit of riding your bike is greater than the risk of being knocked off (when compared to sitting on the sofa or commuting by car). In terms of exercise gained and the benefits, versus risk.

Which isn't to say that cycling couldn't be made much safer in Sheffield. Making it safe from drugged up scum in vans is a harder ask. Perhaps if motorists who negligently kill people got real sentences then they'd think twice about their behaviour, although I'm not convinced that they would...

I agree Cyclone I know I should go back on the bike but I'm not ashamed to admit that the experiences I had in that week put me off for life. My children have already lost their mum in a car accident I don't want to add their Dad to the list as well so not worth the risk in my opinion.

On your last point I don't think it will make any difference as you say. These people go out with the attitude "it'll never happen to me, I'm okay to drive, I'm a good driver etc" I don't think (I hope at least) that anyone goes out in the car / van thinking "well even if I kill someone I'll be out in a few months".

Edited by Danny_Boy

Posts removed

The bickering can cease right now. If you persist i will suspend your accounts. Show some respect for a change.

I have to say, I have encountered so many maniac drivers over the last week. There seems to have been much more of them than usual, then this happens. It wouldn't surprise me if it turned out most of them had been drinking or on drugs, and if so it's worrying to think that there are still so many of them on the road. I despise drink/drug drivers with a passion and I honestly believe that anyone who still thinks it's acceptable to do that should be banned from ever driving on a public road again.

My condolences to the the young gentleman's family.

So sad for the young cyclist and his devastated family.

I agree about the benefits and would have no trouble if I felt the area I was in was safe. I o to the gym instead. Its that idea that you could get killed through no fault of your own. If I lived on the outskirts then I would.

---------- Post added 21-10-2015 at 15:22 ----------

The justice system in this country is a joke and is a law unto itself. We need elected judges. Give these people 100 years in solitary, just put them in a small room, weld the door shut, keep it shut until they die.

Why is it a joke?

Why is it a law unto itself?

Why do you need elected judges?

Do you understand how the legal system works?

I despise drink/drug drivers with a passion and I honestly believe that anyone who still thinks it's acceptable to do that should be banned from ever driving on a public road again.
Agreed. Particularly if one hits a pedestrian/cyclist and drives off. That is absolutely despicable.

As many others have said, sincere condolences to the family.