Cyclist killed hit and run 19th October- police looking for witnesses

Absolutely shocking that people still think that it's okay to career around in a ton of metal with a powerful engine after drinking or taking drugs.

Trouble is the confidence that "I feel okay, I'll be alright" kicks in after too many. If you think "No, I won't drive" then you're wise, if you think "I'll be okay" then you are definitely too drunk.

Please, anyone, if you have ever even been tempted to risk it - don't even take the car out to the pub with the intention of leaving it in the car park; if you've ever felt tempted to chance driving home, then you might make a bad judgement call one day - just leave the car at home, or at work. Take the bus, or walk.

Never mentioned in these situations are the Police and Ambulance service who attend such tragic scenes. I know one of the Police Officers who did attend, you never get used to it he said.

My heart goes out to the family of the poor lad, a young and promising life ended abruptly !!

I went past there just ten mins before it happened and work round the corner from the scene of accident. I saw so much dangerous driving last night that it makes you wonder how more accidents don't happen there:( However if the driver was under the influence then it's not surprising it did. I know at that junction and a number of others nearby if you aren't aware of all the different ways cars can turn then it's easy to be caught out. Only experience gives you that and new students won't always know what to expect.:(

Sadly, even if the Police secure a conviction he will likely be sentenced to six years for Death by Dangerous Driving and be released after two or three.

People don't care enough about motorists like this to do something about it.

Emma Egan who Killed my husband Eric almost 2 years ago was sentenced to 4 years. She has spent only 6 months in Doncaster and is now in open prison with permission for overnight outings she has just served a year. What justice?

My two daughters are still distraught and we find every day a tough one

My sincere condolences to the cyclists family and friends truely awful

The justice system in this country is a joke and is a law unto itself. We need elected judges. Give these people 100 years in solitary, just put them in a small room, weld the door shut, keep it shut until they die.

Sadly, even if the Police secure a conviction he will likely be sentenced to six years for Death by Dangerous Driving and be released after two or three.

People don't care enough about motorists like this to do something about it.

Driving a tonne of metal at someone should get the same sentence as firing a gun at someone.

The blue Transit van reportedly failed to stop at the scene and was involved in further collisions with stationary vehicles in the Providence Road area of Walkley a short time later

If this report is correct, then this is as bad as it gets. It shows either extreme intoxication/knew how bad it was/or both, but done anything to get away. I'd think that it was someone that has already been to prison and doesn't want to go back for however long.

Hopefully there will be witnesses as it's a busy road most of the day and night. (it's not well lit though, especially around the crossing area).

-

RIP the cyclist.

Edited by *_ash_*
added a note for the victim

Driving a tonne of metal at someone should get the same sentence as firing a gun at someone.

Causing Death by Dangerous Driving should result in an 18 year sentence, without doubt.

Our 19 year old daughter left just under 3 weeks ago to start her term at Nottingham University , It was incredibly hard to see her go although she's 19 but as a parent she's still our little girl.

Whether the poor lad is from this city or not I can't even start to imagine the pain his parents will be feeling now. I feel absolutely devastated for them, it's so very very sad .My heart goes out to them and the rest of his family and friends.

Rest In Peace X

Some of us from CycleSheffield will be following this incident for the Road Justice Campaign and we will be putting up a ghost bike and organising some kind of ceremony/ride past

We can take the campaign to local MPs and SYP as well as local cllrs and transport bods

There are similarities to the killing of Eric Codling whilst he was cycling in 2013

see

Google "Eric Codling" on the CycleSheffield website

and google "ghost bike in Sheffield"

(I don't post enough here to be allowed to put URLs up!

The justice system in this country is a joke and is a law unto itself. We need elected judges. Give these people 100 years in solitary, just put them in a small room, weld the door shut, keep it shut until they die.

Judges don't decide the sentencing guidelines that they're obliged to follow.

As with most things, you need to look to the government.

http://www.cyclesheffield.org.uk/2014/07/21/10376/

http://www.rideforeric.com/

Edited by Cyclone

Thanks Cyclone for posting the URL to the Eric Codling case

Events like this do need a campaign so pls all google up "Road Justice" too

The treatment of incidents like this relies on three stages: quality of investigation; preparing a case for prosecution; conduct of trial and sentencing guidelines

Victims who are cyclists or pedestrians get a raw deal!