Pellet stoves for Heating

Does anyone have one of these stoves and are they any good?

Thanks for any info. alan p.

We have stayed in three different cottages with them, you are talking about the pellet (biomass) heating system right? two places the owners loved them, they had their own woodlands and simply used the takings from that to fuel it, which is the right way of doing it. One owner hated his, lots of work and getting stuff to burn in them was costing him way more than a regular gas heating system would have cost him. He lived off-site, the other two were on-site.

Hello tzijlstra, This is the type I'm thinking about.http://woodpelletstove.co.uk/.

I only want it to warm the room. Thanks for getting back to me. alan p.

If you take a trip to Norton's on Rutland Road they may be able to give you more advice. The expense of fitting one might be prohibitive, especially if you do not have a suitable chimney. I don't know about this particular stove but wood intended for wood burners has to be seasoned i.e. dried or it doesn't burn properly and it messes up the chimney. Don't forget that you would need to find a spot for storage of the fuel. Think carefully about it because they are expensive to buy and to fit. Also, don't forget the extra work involved in cleaning it out, sweeping the chimney and fetching the fuel in from the store.

Don't buy one of these monstrosities,they may be allright for their users but they will give your neighbours hell.They smell disgusting,they give people sore throats and runny eyes,black particles settle on windows,doors etc and it is now believed they can cause severe chest and respiratory probles even lung cancer.It smells like bonfire night 24 hours a day on our estate and only one person has a wood burner.The government keeps going on about air polution,it is high time they banned the use of these things.

Don't buy one of these monstrosities,they may be allright for their users but they will give your neighbours hell.They smell disgusting,they give people sore throats and runny eyes,black particles settle on windows,doors etc and it is now believed they can cause severe chest and respiratory probles even lung cancer.It smells like bonfire night 24 hours a day on our estate and only one person has a wood burner.The government keeps going on about air polution,it is high time they banned the use of these things.

What a load of tosh!!!!

In my small village of 300 houses about 15% of the houses have wood burners.

That's 45 ish burners.

We don't all have soar throats, runny eyes, etc.

People hang washing outdoors and have no problems.

You clearly have a grudge against one particular neighbour???

Hello tzijlstra, This is the type I'm thinking about.http://woodpelletstove.co.uk/.

I only want it to warm the room. Thanks for getting back to me. alan p.

Hi Alan, that is different from the system I was talking about, those were larger and put in a shed/outbuilding and heated the whole house plus providing the hot water. Not come across 'in-house' pellet stoves yet.

What is the reason for choosing a pellet stove over a wood burner though?

The reason I don't want a wood burner is I have no where to store the logs also the cleaning out is easier with the pellet burner, no bending and no dust,I have friends who have log burners who are thinking of going over to pellet stoves.

Thank you all for the replies. alan p.

What a load of tosh!!!!

In my small village of 300 houses about 15% of the houses have wood burners.

That's 45 ish burners.

We don't all have soar throats, runny eyes, etc.

People hang washing outdoors and have no problems.

You clearly have a grudge against one particular neighbour???

I am inclined to agree with Ivan Edake on this one.A couple of weeks ago I went to Castleton and the smell and taste of burning wood made me depart pretty quickly.

The reason I don't want a wood burner is I have no where to store the logs also the cleaning out is easier with the pellet burner, no bending and no dust,I have friends who have log burners who are thinking of going over to pellet stoves.

Thank you all for the replies. alan p.

Ah that makes sense Alan, if you do end up getting one, let us know how you get on with it. We haven't got a fireplace at the moment and are vaguely familiarising ourselves with the options just in case.

I also agree, one house on our street has a wood burner, and boy can you tell when it's on!!

It's pretty selfish IMO, maybe if you have no neighbors, but imposing it on others is as bad as passive smoking!!

Hello tzijlstra,

We have decided to have one of these stoves, I have spoken to a couple of people who have them and they highly recommend getting one. If you are thinking of getting one you can get them fitted to any outside wall and the chimneys are a lot smaller in diameter so don't stand out to much. I have also been looking at one which can be piped up to heat 2/3 rooms. All the best Alan.