Sheffield to get a Herd of Elephants

Stand in front of the Cathedral and look at the crest on the roof of the Cutlers Hall. I'd neve noticed it until I took part in - and won - the Great Sheffield Treasure Hunt a few years ago.

The elephants are great. More of this sort of thing!

The lambananas in Liverpool have a global following. Honestly, people travel to Liverpool to look at them. Granted Liverpool is also a top tourist destination anyway (believe me it is) but the elephants in Sheffield can only be good.

Everyone I know is wandering the streets looking for Pokemon.

Guest sibon

Everyone I know is over 17.

Does anyone know if I can get a map of where all the elephants are located?

Gotta catch em' all...

Everyone I know is over 17.

Pokemon first came out in the mid-90's so there is a good chance people over 20 are playing it.

Just been round city centre to see the elephants, they are very pretty, well done to all the artists.

There's a map on the website. If you have a smart phone there is also a "Herd of Sheffield" app. It includes a map and more details of each elephant.

I believe they were all paid for either via sponsorship by local business or in the case of the small ones, each school paid for the elephant. I know our young uns school did a bit of fund raising and bought one to paint (or stick things on to).

The kids all joined in and its now on display. We've seen all the small ones and now need to go and find the big ones (small ones are all over the place including Abbeydale Industrial Hamlet, Kelham Island Museum, Weston Park, Hallam Uni and Ponds Forge).

Its just nice to have something positive and light hearted to follow. The kids enjoyed it, the artisits did a great job and the public can have fun finding them.

Whats not to love.

Given the state of the rest of the city and the brain dead idiots who perpetrate their "art" I give it less than a month before these elephants are covered in graffiti.

I'd never heard about the steelworks elephant until now. Is this why there are the elephants on top of the Cutlers' Hall?

It's a lovely idea but I don't think it is...

"The coat of arms is based on that of the London cutlers. Cross daggers signify cutlery, the elephant for ivory and the band of green from the Sheffield coat of arms."

http://www.cutlers-hallamshire.org.uk/history/a-to-z

Oh so that's what that's been about :)