Halfway History

Hi all i was just wondering if anyone has any information on Halfways history, i am Halfway born n bred and i always hear from older Residents about there use to be a public house roughly where the Tramstop is at Halfway that was reportly haunted, its as you can guess long gone now, but if anyone has any old photo's etc of halfway or mosborough or any information on old landmarks etc, i would find it very interesting, thanks in advance for any replys :)

Could this be the old Holbrook club? If so, I think it was on the opposite corner to the current Halfway tram stop - the corner where the new houses are is it James something drive?

That must be the place then, im an early 80's child so im not too clued up on history of the area and am wanting to learn, does anyone else know when the Church currently Grahams Tyres at Halfway was closed?

Could this be the old Holbrook club? If so, I think it was on the opposite corner to the current Halfway tram stop - the corner where the new houses are is it James something drive?

I thought Holbrook club was further down the road towards Killamarsh? There used to be a set of traffic lights and a couple of rows of houses where the roundabout near the tram terminus is..there was a pub at the lights,can't remember what it was called..Halfway House?

There used to be a pub where the roundabout is now, there was a set of traffic lights. If you look on the road where the little police station is you should see the rubber traffic light strips.

My uncle had a car accident at those traffic lights over 40 years ago, he went through the windscreen and cut his tongue off, they did mange to sew it back on.

I can remember when it was all fields round there,... :)

There used to be a pub where the roundabout is now, there was a set of traffic lights. If you look on the road where the little police station is you should see the rubber traffic light strips.

ah yes i know where you mean the road running down the side of the Halfway Infant school that has now been blocked off at both joining sides with station road running through, when was the pub, halfway house pulled down?

There used to be a school where the Morrison's roundabout is...I would say the pub was demolished 30 years ago...

Edited by truman

There used to be a school where the Morrison's roundabout is...I would say the pub was demolished 30 years ago...

The school was on the opposite side to Morrison's and was Eckington Grammar School, a fine building. They pulled it down. I thought it would have been a listed building!

The school was on the opposite side to Morrison's and was Eckington Grammar School, a fine building. They pulled it down. I thought it would have been a listed building!

It was Westfield Lower School in it's final years...as you say a very nice building..

I can remember as a child walking the dog with my dad down there and seeing all the rubble and car parks tennis courts covered in moss and broken glass, it makes you wonder why they pulled it down when it a nice building, shame really as inless people tell you you wouuld never know it ever exsisted on the site.