The History of Sheffield Swimming Pools - Major help needed!

Since I wrote the above message, I've remembered that the only certificate I obtained for swimming was for 50yds, this at Corporation Street. 50yds was two lengths of the pool.
Hi Texas I went to Sutherland rd baths from 1937 till I was married in 1946 both the slipper [no bathroom at home] and swimming bath I went to All Saints school in Sutherland rd and learned to swim there, I have tried to contact any schoolmates from that that time but they must be either dead or do not use this forum, or maybe no PC, Cheers Arthur.

Hi Texas I went to Sutherland rd baths from 1937 till I was married in 1946 both the slipper [no bathroom at home] and swimming bath I went to All Saints school in Sutherland rd and learned to swim there, I have tried to contact any schoolmates from that that time but they must be either dead or do not use this forum, or maybe no PC, Cheers Arthur.

I also learnt to swim at Sutherland Road baths, even though I lived in Attercliffe, my junior school (Carbrook) were just not good enough at training for my parents so I attended swimming classes at SR.

Laterly I went to Oakwood and often called in at Longley Park in the summer evenings before going home. Longley was not as good as Millhouses which we would travel a long way to go to, it was like going to a theme park today. Besides the pool there was a putting green and you could build dams in the river, it was a total day out.

You mention in your list "Riverlin Valley", the only one I know for the period you mention was an open air one, it is still there but unfortunally very overgrown.

What happened to the Rolf Harris painting from the diving pit at Sheaf Valley?

Was it by any chance relocated to Ponds Forge?

One outdoor pool I dont think has been mentioned .

In Encliffe park there was a bathing pool in 1895. Information and photos about this pool ,and others that have been mentioned can be found in a book called

' Sheffield Parks and Gardens ' by Douglas Hindmarch.

longley park open air baths used to take kids there

You mention in your list "Riverlin Valley", the only one I know for the period you mention was an open air one, it is still there but unfortunally very overgrown.

Just noticed that this is an old thread- but history has been made already since the OP.

I'm not sure that the pool in Rivelin was ever overgrown- I took my nephews there a couple of summers ago, and last time I past it looked fine to me.

Also, Hillsborough baths became the Deep end but is now Wetherspoons.

Just wondering what other changes there will be over the next few years?

there used to be a boating lake near firth park library kids used it for a paddling pool

Longley Park, open air, the coldest water this side of the Arctic circle.

Local studies have some pictures of inside Park baths, I know cos I have some copies.

Also if you are doing the outdoor pools i have postcards of Longley, Hillsborough and Millhouses, which I could possibly copy.

Regards Maureen

I knew longley and millhouses had pools in there parks, I never knew Hillsborough park did or am I confusing this with Hillsbourough baths?

I'm not sure that the pool in Rivelin was ever overgrown- I took my nephews there a couple of summers ago, and last time I past it looked fine to me.

I think you are thinking of the paddling pool next to the road, which is not very old. The swimming pool was further up stream beyond the modern playground. It was an old dam re-used as a pool. The dam is still there but, indeed, very overgrown.

Hugh :)

:

Westfield was built around 1955 and as far as I am aware is still open, although it is predominantly for the school, it used to open at nights and weekends to the general public.

:cool:I may be wrong,but i went to westfield 1960-64 and no baths had been built then.When we went for swimming lessons from Westfield as i recall we used to go to Ringwood open air pool at Staveley on a bus,it was freezing,had a rough concrete floor and always had leaves floating on the top,still it was better than RE. As i remember about Glossop Rd,there were 3 seperate swimming areas the mixed baths,which was the largest pool,mens baths,and ladies baths,plus the slipper baths:cool: