The History of Sheffield Swimming Pools - Major help needed!

Originally posted by slh73

Hurlfield School (now called Myrtle Springs after it merged with Ashleigh) ha its own baths, on the East Bank Road site, when I went to school there. AFAIK theyre still there.

They'd better be! :D my friend goes swimming there once a week......

PT

Hi I am a journalism student writing a feature on the history of Hillsborough Baths, now the Deep End.

I am looking for information about how it used to look, the building, and what it cost to swim there. I also want to know when it closed.

If any one knows this information or remembers swimming there please let me knw, I would be most grateful

molly x

From the research that I have carried, i've found that Hillsborough baths opened 1929 and closed in 1991. Then the Hillsborough Leisure Center was built initially for the world student games in 1991, and is still open today.

-Paul-

We used to have the annual Boys Brigade swimmming competition there. I still have a couple of little plaques somewhere for winning the backstroke and coming second in freestyle :D

It had lots of changing booths with curtains down both sides, green(?) wall tiles and a gallery around at least 3 sides from where ISTR you could see into the changing booths!

For king edwards. was opened around 1939 i think and was built for the school. It was then taken over by the coucil (not sure of the date). It was then treatened with closure in 1993. Four businessmen set up a trust to save it. It has running as a trust ever since. It is the only pool in the area to run without a subsidy in the area. The manager is called Alan Joynes. He is a very helpful fella. If you contact him i'm sure he will help you out.

Heeley pool is still going and is the only pool that is directly run by the council. The council are talking about putting it to trust at the moment. This pool has a freinds group who would probably help you.

Hope this helps

Me and my mate learnt to swim at hillsborough baths in about 1974 swimming along the side holding onto the sort of trough at the side of the pool. I'm sure as well that there used to be a diving board in the deep end, also wasn't there two sort of baths just behind the shallow end,we were only ten so my memory's a bit jaded, what i can remember though was how cold it was when you got changed, a cold wind always seemed to blow and the toilets were absoloutely freezing. Still it never stopped us going.

Anyone any ideas as for the dates for Concord or Westfield baths?

Cheers,

-Paul-

I remember my grandad telling us about returning from France at the end of the 1914-18 war. Troops were marched to Glossop Rd baths from the trains , heads shaved , de-loused ,uniforms burned and sent home in clean clothes to rejoin their families.

Originally posted by Pauls-Stuff

I am researching the swimming pools in sheffield from 1879 to the present day for part of a project going towards my A-Level in Geography. I have been down to the local studies libary and got quite a bit of info from there but now i'm stuck and pleading for help! :(

If you can provide any of the missing info in the list of swimming pools below I would be VERY greatful! Thank-you!

Attercliffe: 1879 - 1981

Corporation Street: 1879 - 1962

Upperthorpe: 1896 - present

Glossop Road 1st: 1896 - 1991

Glossop Road Ladies: 1898 - 1991

Brightside: 1899 - 1964

Park: 1899 - 1989

Heeley: 1909 - present

Rivelin Valley: 1909 - 1939

Glossop Road Mens: 1912 - 1991

Hillsborough: 1929 - 1991

Sutherland Road: 1964 - ???

Chappel Town: 1950s/60s - present

Concord: ??? - ???

Graves: 1991 - present (1962 - present ~ rowlingson baths)

Hillsborough Leisure Center: 1991 - present

King Edwards: 1936 - present

Ponds Forge: 1991 - present

Springs: 1950s/60s - ???

Stocksbridge: 1970 - present (sports centre added in 1972)

West Field: ??? - ???

Woodthorpe: 1938 - present

Sheaf Valley: 1972 - 1991

Thanks,

-Paul-

try longly park

As a pupil of Concord Middle School [shiregreen], I had to endure weekly trips to the infamous Sutherland Road Baths around 72/73. As far as I'm aware, they remained open until the late seventies [maybe later?]. They were filthy, with disgusting little changing rooms. I remember a maniacal Attendant with the surname Scott, who would delight in hurling timid boys into the depths of the "deep end". The obscene little coward got his comeuppance when the father of one lad came down to the baths and threw Mr Scott in! Sadly, I was feigning illness that day so I didn't witness the poetic justice being meted out, but he was a laughing stock afterwards. Damn his eyes!

I went to Ellesmere Road School in the 50's and we used to have swimming lessons at Sutherland Road Baths then, not sure when they were built but definitely before 1964 judging by the decor back then it would be more 1864. Never did learn to swim!

"I remember a maniacal Attendant with the surname Scott, who would delight in hurling timid boys into the depths of the "deep end".

I was at Ellesmere Rd school around 1960 and was taught to swim by Mr Scott at Sutherland Rd baths. I don't remember him being anything like a sadistic tyrant. He didn't stand any nonsense and had a whistle on a piece of cord round his neck. This cord was knotted and delivered a painful crack to any wrong-doers. I'm sure he didn't throw me in at the deep end.