The History of Sheffield Swimming Pools - Major help needed!

Corporation street baths were at the side of the Brown Cow which is now the Riverside at the bottom of Corporation street.There is a seating area where the baths used to be,they probably shut roundabout the early 1970s I would imagine.Hillsborough baths was were the Deep End is now.I learnt to swim there it was10 yards wide by 25 yards long ,there were also slipper baths there as well .

I went past the old glossop road baths today, and it triggered my memory of the names of the pools (See my post, higher up)

I could picture it in my mind's eye. You exited the changing rooms, and there was a sloping passageway, down to the larger pool, and up to the smallrr pool which ran along the west street/Glossop Road frontage of the building. The upper pool was very like Heeley in size and layout (Long and somewhat narrow) and the lower pool was more square and larger in shape. This is the one, I believe, which was boarded over for the dances.

I had already remembered the name of one, the Cavendish pool, earlier, and was wracking my brains to remember the name of the other..

it was the.....

[b "Victoria pool!"

yaaay! I remembered!

this evening, the baths were featured on Calendar, in an article about the old turkish baths, and how they have been restored to their former glory, and incoporated into a leisure development that is being completed underneath

Originally posted by Ned Ludd

Rowlinson School, Dyche Lane and now part of Norton College opened a pool in the early 70's. Don't know if it is still open.

This is indeed in the college, but it is considered part of Graves Leisure Centre I believe.

Rowlinson School opened in 1953, but I think the pool didn't arrive until the school became a technical college in 1971 (can anyone confirm this?)

So the entry for Graves should probably read 1971-present.

I was using the King Edward V11 baths back in 1955 and I'm sure they were built long before that. One feature I remember was that there were different coloured tiles, (yellow and white) on the floor to differentiate the areas you could walk in shoes and others in bare feet.

I was told a group of former old boys from King Edward School bught the place and are now running it as a private pool.

Hope this helps.

Local studies have some pictures of inside Park baths, I know cos I have some copies.

Also if you are doing the outdoor pools i have postcards of Longley, Hillsborough and Millhouses, which I could possibly copy.

Regards Maureen

I live on the Parson Cross estate and went to Monteney Junior school - we went every week to have swimming lessons at Chapeltown baths and that's where I learnt to swim.

Perhaps you could use that info too as it shows how the community baths served their areas.

Thanks everyone for your replys so far. I'm so busy at the moment I don't have time to update the post with the dates just yet but I will do as soon as a get a free minute!

Originally posted by tiffy

........and as if by magic, look what's in today's Star

http://www.sheffieldtoday.net/ViewArticle.aspx?SectionID=58&ArticleID=756748

Yes, I saw this on Calender News last night. Looks kinda classy in there!

-Paul-

There was also an outdoor swimming pool in Endcliffe Park at the turn of the century, if you enter the park from hunters bar it was on the raised up section to the right,of main path and to the rear of the shelter that is there now.

best regards

soggy

Stocksbridge Swimming Pool was built in 1970. I believe that much of the funding was collected from local people. The Sports Centre was added in 1972. Both are still open.

I've just updated the dates. Thanks to everyone who has helped so far! :D

-Paul-

Hurlfield School (now called Myrtle Springs after it merged with Ashleigh) ha its own baths, on the East Bank Road site, when I went to school there. AFAIK theyre still there.