Bright light over sheffield 14/10/2015

a lot of people are gonna brand me a nut job for what im about to post to that im going to say if got nothing nice to say or if your not interested then go away. *rant over*

last night around (14/10/15) between 10:30-11:15 my partner and I was looking for our missing cat sooty. we was in the garden and from my house at night you get some of the most stunning views of Sheffield, meadowhall, Attercliffe areas. it was clear in the sky and at that particular moment in time I looked up. I was amazed at the fact that a bright light appeared from nowhere, it stayed in 1 spot for aprox 3 seconds and then bolted across the sky at speed. now its faster than a plane and is definitely faster than a first bus, it didn't flash with any other lights and didn't make a sound.

Im not saying its aliens, a ufo or anything out the ordinary. I am very interested in science and did very well in my GCSEs for science and astrology is one of my favourite parts of science and I know for a fact that couldn't be a meteor or asteroid as it had no trail following it I do know that meteors and asteroids can in appear in our skys from nowhere and disappear in the same way it started but to appear, fly across the sky and disappear and leave no trail behind it is rather odd.

I want to point out im not a believer in alien's or ufos however this has my curiosity going about what me and my partner saw.

did anyone else see anything last night?

.... and astrology is one of my favourite parts of science
definitely not science in my book, each to their own

Took the words right out of my mouth!

I assume the OP meant "astronomy", which is most definitely a branch of science. I doubt the GCSE science syllabus includes starsign reading.

As for the sighting.... military related?

I saw something that looked very much like a star but moving in a slow & erratic fashion in roughly SE direction. It was definitely above cloud level. Any ideas? Come to think of it, it was the evening of the 13th that I saw it.

Edited by fatrajah

"Astronomy is a natural science which is the study of celestial objects (such as stars, galaxies, planets, moons, asteroids, comets and nebulae), the physics, chemistry, and evolution of such objects, and phenomena that originate outside the atmosphere of Earth, including supernovae explosions, gamma ray bursts, and cosmic microwave background radiation. A related but distinct subject, physical cosmology, is concerned with studying the universe as a whole" quoted from Wikipedia (first website I came too) and if im correct Physics & chemistry are a branch of science and gravity which is to do with space is heavily linked with physics which I took as a gcse.

not trying to prove you wrong just trying to show that its linked with science.

---------- Post added 15-10-2015 at 15:20 ----------

Did you find Sooty?

yes we found sooty thank you

"Astronomy is a natural science which is the study of celestial objects (such as stars, galaxies, planets, moons, asteroids, comets and nebulae), the physics, chemistry, and evolution of such objects, and phenomena that originate outside the atmosphere of Earth, including supernovae explosions, gamma ray bursts, and cosmic microwave background radiation. A related but distinct subject, physical cosmology, is concerned with studying the universe as a whole" quoted from Wikipedia (first website I came too) and if im correct Physics & chemistry are a branch of science and gravity which is to do with space is heavily linked with physics which I took as a gcse.

not trying to prove you wrong just trying to show that its linked with science.

---------- Post added 15-10-2015 at 15:20 ----------

yes we found sooty thank you

Unfortunately, you typed astrology in your original post. Most people understood what you meant.

I assume the OP meant "astronomy", which is most definitely a branch of science. I doubt the GCSE science syllabus includes starsign reading.

As for the sighting.... military related?

starsign reading is astrology not astronomy.

its hard to say if it was military as I don't think theres military airbase in Sheffield to my knowledge (obviously I could be wrong)

---------- Post added 15-10-2015 at 15:26 ----------

Unfortunately, you typed astrology in your original post. Most people understood what you meant.

yes I did my bad lol it was early this morning when I typed this up at work.

apologies

yes I did my bad lol it was early this morning when I typed this up at work.

apologies

don't worry about it ... I actually knew what you meant to type, just thought it was a bit funny - getting all excited about science and then dropping in the word "astrology"

Sounds like an Iridium flare, sunlight reflecting off the solar panels of an Iridium satellite.

The sightings of them can be predicted for your location using smartphone apps and (I think) the heavens above website.