Swegway (hoverboard) shop newly opened on Ecclesall Road.

And I've seen numerous people being hit/run over by people with mobility scooters.

it's all down to how they're used.

You can't lose control of one of these boards as once you step off they stop moving.

ive been using a mobility scooter for a few years now and i have never seen anyone hit with one

Skateboards and longboards have always been banned in public spaces apart from at skate parks.

All I can say is Sheffield appears to be full of idiots

What law bans skateboards?

---------- Post added 16-10-2015 at 12:59 ----------

ive been using a mobility scooter for a few years now and i have never seen anyone hit with one

Ever seen anyone hit with a Segway?

Idiots questioning why mobility scooters and wheelchairs are allowed need to have a word with themselves. Wheelchairs and mobility scooters are allowed because they are built under strict laws making them safe to use.

These "hoverboards" are unsafe as I've seen loads of people fall off them and trip people over. They have no safety devices and are easy to lose control of

i agree with Dragon you should try having a disability and having to use a scooter or wheelchair out of necessity

I've been using cars for years too (too many to mention)...and I've never 'seen' anyone hit by one...Yet I know it happens!

Yeah, that's what I mean … it is illegal to cycle on a pavement (for over ten year olds) but people still do, and get away with it. Police can't be bothered.

I presume if this is the case, the same applies to the Segway. It's certainly no more dangerous.

Ah, I get you, I thought you meant it if it was legal to ride a bike on the pavement it should be OK to ride the hoverboards.

What law bans skateboards?

---------- Post added 16-10-2015 at 12:59 ----------

Ever seen anyone hit with a Segway?

Take a look at this high profile hit.

Take a look at this high profile hit.

But it says he was unhurt?

I wonder what could be done to make future use of transport innovations easier?

At the moment we have:

- roads, where all the motorised vehicles and pushbikes have to jostle for space

- pavements - for people on foot

- the occasional cycle path - disjointed, underused, never one there when you need one.

Perhaps simply banning new "toys/vehicles(?)" from being used in public spaces isn't the way forward?

What if someone was to invent the perfect technology for short distance trips that would get loads of cars off the roads? Low energy use, safe, easy to manoeuvre, don't need to be Chris Frome to negotiate the bit of your commute from Malin Bridge, up Rivelin Bank, up to the top of Crookes then back down again.... sorry, bit too specific there!

What if the technology was there to get thousands of us out of our cars, to solve most of the parking problems we have in town centres, but it was banned because it doesn't suit our current infrastructure?

Mind you, we've had the bicycle since Victorian times and we haven't really come up with a good solution for that.....

Skateboards and longboards have always been banned in public spaces apart from at skate parks.

All I can say is Sheffield appears to be full of idiots

Where, Sheffield or the whole UK ?

i think i read in the papers a few days ago they have made them illegal what's the point in buying them then ?

Am I missing something? :huh:

I don't see much 'hovering' happening here... :confused:

So, not so much back to the future as back to the drawing board? :roll:

Too true my friend....we were promised Hoverboards back in the 70's on Tomorrow's World but I'm still waiting !