Work Experience Advice

My son is coming up to the date when he has to do his work experience at school and i'm looking for advice.

He is really into computer programming and game design.

I have spoken to his school regarding any placements that they mite have in this field, but they have told me that this area is not covered by the school, but if i could find him a placement that would be fine with the school.

So which company's could i contact in Sheffield that do computer programming and game design and would be happy to take my son to do his work experience

Thanks

Edited by jon&emma
wrong spelling

Any person/firm/organization you contact must have the relevant paperwork in place that enables them to have schoolchildren on work experience weeks/months before your child starts.

Check by asking - "Have you had school children on work experience before?" If the answer is "no" move on to another firm, if "yes" contact the school ASAP.

Although most work placements are excellent, some are unsatisfactory.

Most unsatisfactory placements are due to no fault of the business- possibly because they have not got the time/management communication/expectations/security/confidentiality/deadlines/staff absence/travel etc. This can make for difficult time for the child and the firm.

As the demand for such a placement outstrips the supply and that 'work experience' is more about the experience of working ie getting up etc. and not a taster for a career, there are plenty of other things to do.

I'm sorry Annie but that advice simply isn't helpful. The fact that someone hasn't had someone on work experience previously shouldn't stop any one or any company trying it out.

There are limits as to what can be offered on work experience but even shadowing can be a good learning experience.

To the OP - why not asking Electric Works and the Workstation to send round a circular to ask if anyone might be willing to take someone? There's a huge skills gap emerging in the creative industries so we do need to find ways of opening up opportunities and career paths accordingly.

I'm sorry Annie but that advice simply isn't helpful. The fact that someone hasn't had someone on work experience previously shouldn't stop any one or any company trying it out.

There are limits as to what can be offered on work experience but even shadowing can be a good learning experience.

To the OP - why not asking Electric Works and the Workstation to send round a circular to ask if anyone might be willing to take someone? There's a huge skills gap emerging in the creative industries so we do need to find ways of opening up opportunities and career paths accordingly.

Brilliant idea i will give it a try

I would just look them up amd apply individually.

Probably a bit young for a cv, but he could do a letter and skills profile.

The letter should come from him, but you can check it. It needs to display some genuine interest in the people you are writing to and not just be a mailshot imo.

There are plenty of small developers if you google. Rather than take Annies approach id check with the school as to what to look for and whether there are any checks needed, alternatively contact below.

Give them a ring and take some guidance before contacting employers.

http://www.sheffieldfutures.org.uk/

Consider work shadowing, consider if it might be more suitable to do a number of placements for a few weeks.

These are worth a read.

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20130401151715/https://www.education.gov.uk/publications/eorderingdownload/1471-2005pdf-en-01.pdf

http://www.cipd.co.uk/binaries/making-work-experience-work-top-tips-for-employers_2014.pdf

Edited by 999tigger

I'm sorry Annie but that advice simply isn't helpful. The fact that someone hasn't had someone on work experience previously shouldn't stop any one or any company trying it out..

Totally agree.

The OP referred to "coming up to the date".

It can be organised but there is a time problem.

The reality is that if the firm has not previously offered places then the paperwork, safe-guarding, insurance, visit etc. can take a lot of time and effort and it still might not guarantee a placement to the disappointment of the child.

'Work shadowing' is not 'work experience' and although very useful for short visits, inappropriate for week or two week placements.

I wasn't suggesting that the work shadow should be for the entire duration, just that sometimes that is work experience. Think about how junior doctors learn - they shadow the senior consultants on the ward for a fair proportion of time. This is a successful learning model, so much so it's now being replicated to an extent in education with the 'Teaching Schools' that have popped up.

My company runs programmes for young people wanting to move into the creative industries, they get 6 weeks work 'experience'. One recent example is where a young person worked with a sound rig - you can't possibly expect someone to do this on work experience for health and safety.

Theres a limit a 14 year old can do. Work shadowing in a complex environment is what it will boil down to. In my environment you couldnt really do much besides soem admin work becayse the consequences of getting things wrong are too large and having to check can create more work. You pick a lot up just by being on site and observing.

!Update!

We are still having problems searching for a work experience placement.

The trouble we keep running into is that the company's we have tried all have confidentiality contracts, with him being only 14 he too young to sign so they can not accept him.

He would be starting in march so we still have plenty of time to set something up.

Thanks

!Update!

We are still having problems searching for a work experience placement.

The trouble we keep running into is that the company's we have tried all have confidentiality contracts, with him being only 14 he too young to sign so they can not accept him.

He would be starting in march so we still have plenty of time to set something up.

Thanks

You will find that with computer programming and games, most projects are done behind doors and in secret, under NDA's (none disclosure agreements etc)

Game design is very broad, does he want to do concept art, modelling, story board design etc..... figure out which part of it he has most interest in, and target that area for work experience...

Although it's still going to be difficult to get in to, that's the problem I had (20 years ago though)