Gutter Press - well at least that bit's true!!

Why do journalists resort to printing total lies.

I read over the weekend that DM had reported Turkey had shot down a Russian jet - turns out to be complete lies.

I've now just read on the. BBC News website that Russia had summoned Britian to explain why tornados had been fitted with heat seeking air-to-air missiles incase they come up against Russian jets in Syria!! Again the MOD has apologised and blamed the press for printing the facts wrong.

Is it just me, or does anyone else think these stupid journalists should be sacked and the paper fined an obscene amount of money.

Personally I think today's newspapers are appallingly bad, I haven't bought one for the past decade. They seem to print whatever they like except the bloody facts!!!

I agree.

Time was when newspapers reported the news, now they are just giant propaganda rags.

That's what happens when you get a media mogul like Murdoch in charge. The power that man wields is unhealthy to say the least. And he is rarely called out on it. TV news is going the same way.

As the saying goes: We, the little people, are like mushrooms; keep 'em in the dark and feed them sh*t.

In this day and age is anyone surprised that the press in this country lie all the time? You pick up any paper and find opinion passed as fact, misleading headlines and outright lies. That's before you go into phone hacking and paying bent coppers.

A free press is a sign of healthy democracy? Not in its current state.

It's often extreme spinning and then some.

The headline writers are divorced from the article writers and its considered an art in itself.

I like the numbers game. Its got some solid foundation where you can numerically nail it down. When does nearly 50% become nearly 50%? - almost everyone, except an extreme pedant (. . . . hmm? plenty on here. ), would accept 49.9% as nearly 50%.

. ................I'm just going to have a scan of the press to get some evidence - edit coming soon...........

2 mins later . . . http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/index.html = Headline "at 90mph" - strap line "at speeds up to 90mph"(see speedo!!) inset pic of a speed showing 87-88mph. They were nailed to some reality with the pic of the speedo in their own report. But its easy to see how it happens.

more in a min........

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/world-war-three-could-just-6616199. Numbers by the fistful here.

Headline = WW3 just 30 seconds away!

The basis of this is that US and Russian planes came within 20 miles of a "dangerous impact"

....not exactly world war.

Even then the only speed mentioned is "at around Mach 1.5". 20 miles in 30 seconds requires a speed of Mach 2.0. If they were going straight at each other its a lot less. 30 seconds was attributed to a quote from 'one military expert'. They are clearly picking good looking easy numbers from the air and headlining it as fact.

Edited by Flanker7

once upon a time an editor would insist on verification from a minimum of 2 sources for a story and sometimes more. todays journalists seem to depend to a great extent on social media [ twitter-- facebook] and the editor apparently looks and thinks " that will sell--print it"

once upon a time an editor would insist on verification from a minimum of 2 sources for a story and sometimes more. todays journalists seem to depend to a great extent on social media [ twitter-- facebook] and the editor apparently looks and thinks " that will sell--print it"

How can they get away with it though???

I think it's the hypocrisy of the press that angers me more than anything. They print nasty lies about whoever they want & accuse others of lying, but they the worst liars of them all.

I know that media studies gets a lot of stick, but if it teaches people not to believe the lies, at least that's one good thing!